Advice for a CGM newbie(!)

I finally got the call! With insurance coverage straightened out, I should be getting a Dexcom G5 in the mail within the next two weeks. :grin: I’d appreciate any advice (and I’m going to be trying to read up on all of the great info on here), but I have a couple specific questions:

1. The main thing I’m concerned about is I have an allergy to most adhesives - I forget what the stuff was that the Medtronic rep rubbed on my site before my trial wearing their CGM, but I had that and then Tegaderm over it, and I started reacting within a couple days. Anyone else have allergies to adhesives and have something to recommend that would hopefully not cause a reaction?

2. When the Medtronic rep was placing the CGM, she originally said she wanted to put it on my abdomen, but she took one look at my postpartum belly and changed her mind. :blush: What might’ve been her concern (didn’t think to ask at the time)? What are your favorite sites (considering I’m a side sleeper and got what I believe to be false lows with the Medtronic CGM on my lower back)?

3. For calibration purposes (and just long term use as a meter), is it ok to keep using the ReliOn Prime meter I’ve been using, or should I try to get a “better” meter that would be more accurate? I haven’t yet looked at our insurance coverage for strips and such, so it might be cheaper to get a new meter than to keep buying the ReliOn strips, making this a moot point, but just curious.

2 Likes

I really need to write a long wiki on this, I have all the info ready but have not written it up. If you give me a couple of days I will write it up. There is a LOT!

If you have scaring or other skin issues, that may interfere with the measuring process – I am not sure why else though: the belly is by far the best for signal quality with most people. You are looking for something that has a decent amount of fat.

We use the upper part of the thigh a lot, due to conflicting sports requirements (minimize impact or likelihood of hard collisions). When we swim, the belly is not the best place for adhesives – it falls more easily. But if we did not have that issue, we would use the belly, because we get a better signal there on average. In fact, out of swimming season we use the belly.

Any place which is too lean has a likelihood to fail often or lose signal.

Of course, a more accurate meter is better – but, whatever meter you can use that optimizes your costs is right. The Dexcom will average out a good bit of the noise error over the first couple of days. So, what you can afford best is best – check with your insurance what is possible with it.

You may want to explore OneDrop too. But do check the OneDrop thread(s) here.

2 Likes

When the Medtronic rep was placing the CGM, she originally said she wanted to put it on my abdomen, but she took one look at my postpartum belly and changed her mind. :blush: What might’ve been her concern (didn’t think to ask at the time)? What are your favorite sites (considering I’m a side sleeper and got what I believe to be false lows with the Medtronic CGM on my lower back)?

For calibration purposes (and just long term use as a meter), is it ok to keep using the ReliOn Prime meter I’ve been using, or should I try to get a “better” meter that would be more accurate? I haven’t yet looked at our insurance coverage for strips and such, so it might be cheaper to get a new meter than to keep buying the ReliOn strips, making this a moot point, but just curious.

Don’t know about the ReliOn accuracy but I can vouch for the meter that comes with the Dexcom, as I’ve been using that meter prior to my recent start on their G5. It’s the Contour Next One. I’ve used most meters that have been sold in the US since the mid 1990’s. I stopped using one meter after the other, and settled onto the Contour Next Link (goes with MM pump). Then I picked up some of their other models. they all are similarly accurate.

I got tons of false lows on the Enlite, especially when laying down. Hard to get a good nights sleep with the alarm going off constantly. I resorted to turning the low alarm off at night, making the wearing of the Enlite nearly useless.

The G5 sensor is installed in the same area that I used quite often for the Enlite, and it has no similar issues with false lows–laying down or otherwise.

I can’t help with the allergy thing. Sorry.

2 Likes

I just got my Dexcom 2.5 weeks ago and its been awesome.

I’ve used 2 sensor’s so far on the upper tricep area of each arm. I sleep on my stomach and roll over a lot and don’t have much fat on my hips, glutes, or thighs. So triceps are the only area I’ve tried and I have no plans to try anything else.

I have generally sensitive skin, but I haven’t had major issues. I cleaned the area with alcohol, sprayed it with flo-nase (I read that somewhere that it helps cut down on reactions), then skin tac, then the dexcom. I put some extra tape around it in the middle of the 2nd week when it started peeling but I did react to that…

I got a freestyle meter since they are supposed to be quite accurate so I try to calibrate with that one but otherwise whatever I have with me. I have a bunch of meters and get pretty different readings from them. I have the onetouch by my bed, the accucheck guide for running, the aviva in my purse (insurance covers a minimal amount of those strips), and a freestyle at work and in my kitchen.

3 Likes

I’m also a side sleeper, and I use the backs of my arms (and sleep on the opposite side) or my abdomen but closer to the navel so the sensor doesn’t hog territory from my Omnipods. When placed on my front they obviously get bumped a bit more (desk edges, countertops, arms moving during sleep), so possibly have a marginally shorter lifespan (I’m using the G4). Both places are very comfortable, but when the sensors are on my arms I’m much less aware of them and tend to forget they’re there.

I don’t have adhesive allergies, but on another site there is frequent mention of spraying the site beforehand with Flonase, an over-the-counter nasal congestion spray.

2 Likes

We use back of the arms (Triceps) exclusively and it works great.

1 Like

PS: My wife uses her arm also. I’m her sensor installer. :slight_smile: It works well for her, but I like the abdomen area, above my left hip the best, partly because I tend to sleep on my right side (comfort issue and signal issue).

2 Likes

Congrats! So very excited for you!

@EricH uses his belly, but has tried the arm before. He wishes he could use the arm (I need to buy those sticker thingies!) I think he ran into a doorframe and ripped off his sensor once, and he only gets 3-4 days on the arm, and it’s harder to do on his own. BUT, when we tried it, we used this video.

(And this chick is adorable! How can you not love her video?!?)

Anyhow, I will say as the helper in the arm application scenario, I screwed up the steps once and ripped off the handle thingy at the wrong time, and felt like a meanie and a jerk. I cried, Eric didn’t, but needless to say, if you apply the sensor in the wrong order, it can suck. Read the directions more than I did!

2 Likes

I put it on my own arm; the dog’s not much help. Mine’s a little further to the back of my arm (so I don’t hit doors) and with the plunger facing the opposite direction from her (so water drains out instead of into the hole) so I’m pushing it up. I watched that tutorial and some others. Aside from needing a shot of whisky (actually a double) before slamming the plunger down, the hardest part is getting the plunger thing off the sensor.

3 Likes

We have kept the arms for pumping :slight_smile:

@CarolynA, do you also pump?

1 Like

Nope and don’t really want one at this point.

1 Like

I first tried the dexcom about 4 yrs ago - and gave up after 2 months - it constantly conked out after 2-3 days on my stomach or never worked - it was probably a combo of not inserting properly / and the adhesive / and being a roller in my sleep I though so I was very anti dexcom initially as it was costing a fortune for nothing - I would go through 4 in a week
Recently I’ve had it for six months now and it’s changed my life completely - I put it on my stomach on the side and alternate each but also my upper arm at the back and each location works perfectly - it’s never conked out even when I roll on it
I also buy the decom stickers from amazon that come in bright colors and are shaped to fit the dexcom - I change those once a week and the dexcom every 2 wks - they keep it tight in the hot tub and swimming pool which I use daily and also the sauna so highly recommend them for adhesion ( I remove the transmitter for the sauna) - they are also sweat proof when I go hiking - it even stayed on working recently when I spent 2 hrs at the blue lagoon in Iceland !!

3 Likes

Thank you all for the advice!

Great, thank you! I’m looking forward to reading it all. I’ve been waiting for this so long, now that it’s happening, I’m kind of nervous and feeling like I should’ve done my reading ahead of time!

Oh, I didn’t know it came with a meter - neat! Interesting that you got false lows with the Enlite, too; hopefully my experience will be the same with none with the Dex.

Oh! I remember now reading about Flonase for this somewhere…guess I’ll look into that.

Thanks - it’s looking like that will probably be the best spot for me to try first.

Oh, gosh. :laughing: This is probably something my husband will have to do for me a couple times before I’m brace enough, just like when I started MDI (he’s a nurse).

I think I’ve seen these (on pics of other t1s), but didn’t know where they came from - thanks!

Not a whole lot to add here tonight, but wanted to let you know how delighted I was to read that you’ve been approved!! Yahoo!!!

If you’d like to sample some dextape, I have loads. Feel free to pm me your address. I’ve found dextape to be way better than the skintac i had been using.

2 Likes

That’s how I felt, too! I got a call this afternoon with a quote for everything, got all excited, and then they said I’d be responsible for covering the entire thing (which is part of what got us into this big battle in the first place, as that’s NOT what our benefits say). I was crushed, but immediately called our insurance and they cleared things up pretty quickly. Just hoping we don’t get hit with a huge bill once I get everything in. :grimacing:

2 Likes

@TravelingOn, I finally had a moment to watch the video you shared while sitting on the couch with my almost 3yr old. She was very concerned once the Dexcom was inserted, saying, “Ouch! She has a BAD bo-bo.” :laughing: I guess me wearing one is going to take a little getting used to for her.

4 Likes

You, miss, are a badass. I think I needed a shot of whiskey after I applied it for EH. The handle removal is a bit stressful for me - the whole thing seems kinda wonky. But it works!

And I’m glad you joined. I kinda want to wander around the forum quoting you all the time, because you’ve said a lot of stuff that is interesting and I want more info about.

I have heard about the Flonase too - from a nice 9 year old cheerleader I spotted at a hotel buffet last year. We didn’t try it as Eric wasn’t using the CGM all the time at that point. But she really recommended it.

@Pianoplayer7008 - @ClaudnDaye wore around a dummy pod when Liam was getting started pumping so he could be “cool” like Liam - I wonder if you could get a dummy CGM part and let your daughter wear it so she knows you’re fine?

2 Likes

Omnipod makes a “Demo Kit” which contains a dummy POD (no needle or cannula on it). I actually had about 10 of those and wore a fake POD around for a few weeks until he stopped caring. I’m sure you could ask your Endo/trainer to get you one or two of these.

2 Likes