Bluejay GTS won't turn on

It sure is

One other thing, I can’t seem to to increase or decrease the backlight on the watch, sometimes it’s difficult to see. I’ve gone through it a few times. I’m not even sure if it has that function available. Is there a hidden menu setting that I just can’t find…??
Thanks again

1 Like

I have not seen anything like that.

You can adjust the sleep time-out time, whether you want it to wake on wrist turn, if you want it to wake on swipe, the wake-up sensitivity, whether it uses the receiver or phone slot, whether it connects to your phone or not (like if you don’t use xDrip you can turn this off), if you want alarms on or off and at what level you what you want them, if you want vibration feedback on or off, date format, and BG units, logging, and Dexcom setup and calibrations.

I think those are the only settings.

This site is super helpful. I used this when getting mine setup. It was easier than using the booklet that came with it.

3 Likes

How? Does he have a 1800 number for customer service? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have gesture control on, but still notice sometimes when I’m riding my bike or skiing or whatever the screen will be on 90% of the time. Maybe its bumping the physical button? Everything about this watch is so full of gremlins. It uniquely fits a very specific need so I’m willing to put up with it, but I would have a warranty replacement if it was a Garmin.

1 Like

Sounds like something is still turning it on for motion, etc.
I have the swipe up function ON, as I use that all the time. And I don’t have an issue with it staying on all the time.
As for contacting @jamorham, the following link will get you to the discussion that he does look at. https://gitter.im/jamorham/BlueJay?

1 Like

support@bluejay.website
I think that last word website probably needs to be omitted. Try it with and than without.

I am curious about this.

What if you disable both swipe and motion for displaying the screen. I wonder if that means your are totally screwed because you can no longer turn the thing on, other than the power switch.

I did have both functions disabled for a while to test battery life, and found that the swipe up didn’t have enough of an affect on the battery life for me to justify leaving it off.
It wasn’t as bad as you think.
My issue is more that I switch what wrist I have the watch on based on what side of my abdomen I have my dexcom on. So hitting that switch on one wrist vs the other isn’t as easy.
Also, don’t judge me, but I actually use my nose to swipe up sometimes when my hands are full, or greasy/dirty from working on things.

1 Like

I’ve been a product development engineer for the last decade. Sorry for my earlier snark. I purchased an early access research tool assuming it would get the appropriate level of support for the type of product I was purchasing. It worked well for a few months, I was probably a little aggressive with it and when it started acting up I researched the gitter and other documentation then made the reasoned decision that it was probably a hardware (not software) problem due to design or my use case and it wasn’t worth my time or BlueJays to pursue outside assistance.

I stand by sentiment though. This is a very specific product for a very specific use case. I’m thrilled it fits that use case and I wear it nearly daily. I do wish it was produced by a major manufacturer so it got full product testing and CE support.

Thanks.

I wasn’t sure if you disable both the wrist turn-on and the swipe turn-on, that you could no longer get the display turned on!

Yeah, with both the swipe up and motion functions disabled, the button on the side will still wake the watch up.
Once the screen comes up, then all swipe functions work as normal.

But, like I said, it didn’t make enough of a difference for me. And I use the swipe up all the time.
To be honest, the wrist/twist motion to watch up ANY smart watch has never worked well for me.

1 Like

I am delighted every day by my Bluejay. Having struggled for years with a Sony major manufacturer watch the Bluejay is a big relief. Sony decided to stop supporting their watch, and it was mired in an early version of the Wear operating system. It tried to do many things, and refused to just run xDrip+. It’s achilles heel was the USB port, and nothing I could do kept sweat from corroding the connections, including a magnetic insert. So much for a major manufacturer.

The Bluejay’s unconventional gold contacts on the back and unique charging cable solved all that. No more plastic bags under the watch for a summer bike ride. No more interference with other apps that can’t be eliminated. No more operating system problems. I thought the perforated band would be flimsy, but it’s still working fine, much more durable than the Sony band, and easy to wash.

I have had no issues with non-charging. I keep a charger in the bathroom and charge whenever I am shaving or showering–most days. On a trip it ran out of battery but charged immediately when connected. I had worse problems with the Sony.

I am thinking about buying a second Bluejay to keep in reserve. Would prefer one with a transflective screen like the Sony’s, since swiping with my nose leaves a smear of sunscreen, and I have to pull my mask down to do it. The Bluejay is hard to read in sunlight. But overall I am so satisfied with its performance that I would not go back to a multi-function watch with some other operating system. Jamorham is my hero.

3 Likes

Experiencing this for fist time myself.

Any updates on solutions?

I am in the same boat…Bluejay GTS went dark Sunday and does not buzz or anything when holding the power button or when attaching the charging cable. From the above thread it sounds like the fix is leave it dead for up to a week and then charge the battery…PITA if you ask me, I need to actually use the watch not stare at it sitting dark and silent on my desk for a week.

Yes, as @John58 said, when that happened to me, the fix was to wait a few days so the battery was totally dead, and then recharge it.

Not great, but I got the thing working again after I did that and it has not had any problems since.

Same worked for me. Tried to charge on day 3… battery was around 1/3 when it died, and it roared back to life

2 Likes

I use mine mostly as a convenience, not a necessity.

But for those who really depend on it, they might think about having 2 Bluejay watches so there is always one ready. Only about $100, so the thing is pretty cheap. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Mine came back to life this morning after dying Sunday night, battery was at 50%.

1 Like

I haven’t had it happen since it did way back when.
I wear this watch basically 24/7.
I work on vehicles, construction, etc. around the house on weekends, and the watch has done a good job taking the beating.
Not sure why it did this back then, but it hasn’t happened again.

2 Likes

Mine just did it again… twice in about a week now.

What software version are you on?
I’m on 2206.
Not sure if there are any new updates on firmware.
Check the gethub page to see if there are new versions. If so, request a new firmware.
And if you haven’t, that is the best place to post issues like this, as the developer reads and responds to things there (albeit slow at times.)