A diary of my journey managing blood glucose on chemotherapy

Sending good vibes and love to you both. :pray: :cat2:

4 Likes

Best thoughts and wishes to you! Lots of peopleā€¦some you donā€™t knowā€¦are in your corner expecting a good result!

Btw, great restraint one the bbq! Iā€™m with @Eric, Iā€™d have bailed or failed!

5 Likes

Am thinking of you today CL! Please keep us posted when you are feeling up to it. Also sending love to your sweet kitty (my younger daughter cat-sat for our neighbors last weekend and we had so much fun with the kitties! Older daughter is allergic so we canā€™t keep them at home :frowning: ). For clear diets I discovered Italian ices are also covered, which is a treat that I quite enjoy! But hopefully when you are reading this youā€™ll be back to the land of Texas BBQ, etc! xoxo

6 Likes

Best wishes, @CarlosLuis ! And extra pets for your adorable guardian familiar Sheelah :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Best wishes on the big dayšŸ™ Sheelah is a beauty. She looks in charge of things and will want you home asap!

6 Likes

Iā€™m getting out or here today. The care was great and the meals minus 1 were acceptable. Not as good as the BBQ I miss out on.

Theyā€™ve been feeding me what would be a normal diet not the bland diet I was expecting.

I was able to keep my pump on throughout the ordeal. Hereā€™s a picture of the log they had me fill out for yesterday.

I slowly increased basal to what it was as I ate more and chemo.

8 Likes

I like how you patiently filled out 1.7, 1.7, 1.7, 1.7, 1.7ā€¦and then eventually just said ā€œscrew itā€ and drew the arrow to fill in the rest of them.
:joy:

Congrats on getting out!

:partying_face:

5 Likes

@CarlosLuis That looks GREAT!! Iā€™m glad you were allowed to keep the pump (assume a CGM too?)!! I think the medical community is SLOWLY learning that we who have lived with this disease and these devices for years may know what theyā€™re talking about and some of the protocols the doctors and hospitals have been enforcing for years are bupkis! Anyway, now for your continued recovery and good results!! :grin: :grin:

6 Likes

Congratulations, so glad you are back home! I hope the recovery goes smoothly and you are able to get back to cycling soon.

7 Likes

Have been thinking of you, @CarlosLuis. Do we have confirmation that you are now home? Hoping you are resting and recuperating and dreaming/plotting/scheming of the quickest way to get back to biking! I did a nice little peloton looking out at rainy/snowy skies this morning in your honor! Sending you strong healing thoughts and energy xoxo

8 Likes

Hi @JessicaD Iā€™m not home but in Houston because I have a lot of follow up appointments. Home health nurse is coming in the morning to check incision, vitals, blood draw and infuse some saline.

Iā€™m comfortable. I rented a lift chair because I was in danger of harming myself getting out of bed. I got no core no more.

Yesterday was a great day, today Iā€™ve been chilled and a bit dizzy. No fever, good BP, BG, HR and O2. I just restarted Farxiga, Iā€™m going to stop it again. It can cause lightheadedness.

Will take it up with the nurse tomorrow.

Thanks for thinking of meā€‹:star2::heart::star2::heart::grinning:

8 Likes

Iā€™m recovering well at my auntā€™s house in Houston. Iā€™ve been snuggling up under the gift blanket, it gives me comfort as well as warmth, thanks very much.

Much to my surprise I wasnā€™t put on a bland diet, just regular whatever that means. I do have 3 boost drinks per day as a between meal dose of protein.

3 times per week home health visits for to check vitals, infuse a bag of saline :man_shrugging:
Iā€™ve been able to walk .8 to .9 miles daily. Yesterday I had a PT evaluation, passed 100% and we walked my usual. Later after a rather large lunch I did another walk.

The earlier walks would leave me a bit winded, but that seems to have passed.

BG doing pretty good considering I am not on my regular diet.

14 Likes

Thanks, Carlos, for keeping us updated! Iā€™m sure glad you are on a ā€œregularā€ diet, and able to do walks. Glad to hear the walks are becoming more normal, too! Hugs! :hugs:

5 Likes

@CarlosLuis Thanks very much for the update and very glad youā€™re doing well! Glad the blanket is comforting and ā€œcongratsā€ on whatever a ā€œregularā€ diet is!! Please keep up the progressā€¦you inspire the rest of us!

5 Likes

So glad to hear from you and that you are making good progress! :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

So glad you are doing well and improving, CL! And great news on the non-bland diet and all of the walking youā€™re able to do. Keep it up and keep us posted xoxo

3 Likes

For pretty much anything a person is going through, doctors always say, ā€œMake sure you stay well hydratedā€¦ā€

So I guess they are not messing around!

Itā€™s great that you are walking and eating regular food! :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you for keeping us updated. You are an inspiration in how well you are managing. :pray:

6 Likes

You are definitely an inspiration for me! Keep on keeping on! Iā€™ve hit a low spot mentally the past couple weeks, but hearing what youā€™re doing is good for me. Time for me to pick myself up! Thanks!

7 Likes

Well,Sally, youā€™ve made my day. The beauty of fudiabetes is how we lift each other up. Of the other diabetes forums I follow this one is the most welcoming and supportive.

Back on the subject of good blood glucose management during treatment, I must confess, Iā€™m eating food that was on my forbidden list and using way more insulin.

I have been craving chicken fried steak ( tenderized round steak in an egg/flour batter) smothered with white gravy and a loaded backed potato. But itā€™s a dream. I would have to do a massive bolus with several corrections.

:star_struck:

8 Likes