Xdrip+ with Dexcom G6 and Tandem Tslim

I need some help from anybody using xdrip+ and the Tandem TSlim pump. The pump connects to the G6 instead of the Dexcom receiver. I removed the G6 app from my phone and installed xdrip+ several days ago and am learning a lot.

I want to use xdrip to extend the life of my sensors and transmitter but all the instructions talk about the Dexcom receiver and don’t mention instructions for using the Tandem pump instead.

Would love to hear from anybody that is using this configuration.

1 Like

Is there any issue you specifically are facing?

Not using xdrip myself, I would think any reference you see for the Dexcom Receiver would simply refer to the X2 pump.

Does this still leave unresolved issues for you?

Actually been using the Dexcom G6 with Tandem pump for 18 months. It’s been 12 months since they integrated the Dexcom software into the pump. I’ve been using the pump and an Android with the Dexcom app since then.

My question is more about restarting the sensors and transmitters to get more life out of them. I’ve seen 2 options for doing this. The first was to manually restart the sensors but it required hiding the Dexcom receiver for the 2 hour warm up period in a Faraday bag. I don’t want to go 2 hours without wearing the pump.

The other option was to use xdrip which would apparently restart the sensors automatically. But details of the settings are sketchy and seem to assume that you are using the Dexcom receiver.

Hopefully someone who is using xdrip with the x2 pump can chime in.

Thanks for your reply.

Meaning you updated your X2 pump with the Basal-IQ and G6 update last year around December of 2018 ?

Yea, the timing sounds about right. When I first bought my Tandem, I went with the G6 instead of the G5 because Tandem said it would be integrated soon and I didn’t have to calibrate.

I have been using the Tandem X2 and xDrip+ with the G6. The only out-of-the-ordinary thing I am doing is using a Sony watch as the xDrip+ bridge to receive G6 readings and relay them to my phone.

The Tandem seems to replace all functions of the G6 receiver without any differences that I can see, so the two are interchangeable.

I don’t restart my Dexcom sensors any more because I am lucky to get 8 days out of the current crop of sensors. Back in the days when I did restart with xDrip+ I generally got 11 to 12 days or a little more, and one exceptional one lasted 22 days. Something has changed.

I have restarted two transmitters that were older but still communicating using the xDrip+ instructions. For that I changed the transmitter ID in xDrip+ to do the restart and left the pump alone. But I have had problems getting back to the working transmitter on xDrip+ and can’t remember how I resolved them. Think maybe I had to switch to the phone as the bridge for G6 readings. Somebody else may have better advice for that. A search on this forum for restart will find instructions.

Good luck!

That doesn’t sound good if you are only getting 8 days when you should be getting 10 without cheating. I haven’t got to the point where my sensor was ready to restart so haven’t tried restarting it yet.

I assumed the same thing that the Tandem is the G6 receiver replacement for all the instructions. But I’m not going to lock my pump in the microwave for 2 hours!

I’ll try swapping the instructions and use the pump for the reset and shut the phone off for 2 hours. It might work.

Is anyone getting T:Slim treatment data into xdrip? If so what build supports it?

1 Like

I don’t think this is available. I recently loaded the T:Connect app to my phone, which also has xDrip.

T:Connect shows IOB, bolus and basal changes, and cgm graph, automatic load to web based t:connect.

So I swap between xDrip and T:Connect on phone.

1 Like

I am currently using the G6 on both T-Slim and Xdrip. However the transmitter version is 81XX. In a few days I will load a new transmitter 8K XX which could be more problematic but currently it’s working fine. by the way the current transmitter version is on day 157.

Is that original, or with battery replacement ?

It is an original, I don’t know how to replace a battery.

So tslim pump continued to read past 90 days, unlike dexcom receiver that would have stopped ??

1 Like

When I first inserted this G6 transmitter I was using a Medtronic paradigm pump. I used engineering code on Xdrip to reset days back to zero after about 90 days. After resetting the days it has accumulated another 66 days. Nonetheless I still struggle with sensors on x drip and tslim. Haven’t figured out which is better to use for restarting or putting on a new sensor.

1 Like

With the 80, 81 transmitters, xDrip worked well in non-native maode, didn’t even need restart.
But with later transmitters, I run xDrip native, which makes it match the dexcom receiver, or in my case, the tslim pump.
So I do my start, stop, restart from pump.

So it you are trying to get more than 10 days from a G6 sensor, you stop the sensor, pull out the transmitter for 30 min, re-insert the transmitter, start the sensor (code or no code?) and wait 2 hours? What do you do, if anything, to get Xdrip to work again?

Alternatively, I might do above but on Xdrip (not Tslim) and once Xdrip is working and giving readings, TSlim might just start too.

I think either would work.

My preference is to start/stop from tslim (before that G6 receiver), is just in case there are problems and I call support.

Nothing, as long as xDrip still shows Bluetooth connection to transmitter. The start date stored in xDrip becomes irrelevant.

The transmitter does all the work, phone/xdrip/receiver just query transmitter to get values.
But a start/stop is command to transmitter, and since dexcom can make changes to transmitter brains, I think it best to use approved device to send start/stop/calibrate. Just my preference.

When I restart, I use no code, on tslim, and calibrate, since I use tslim to make dosing decisions, and think that may give better accuracy.