I’ve been testing the xdrip app for about a week now with a Tandem tslim pump and a Dexcom G6. The pump is acting as the receiver and I had the G6 app installed on an Android Galaxy s8+. I just wanted to share my recent experience in the hopes that it can help others.
I’ve removed the G6 app and installed xdrip 4 different times and always had to revert to the G6 apps due to issues. I was using xdrip on Sunday when I went out to dinner with family. My blood sugars for the night before were flatline between 110-120 (unusual). I checked my blood sugar with a meter Sunday morning and got a reading of 154 (pump and xdrip said 114). I calibrated using the pump but neither device changed. Like they never saw the calibration.
I calibrated an hour later and meter said 177 but pump and phone still reading between 110-120. I uninstalled xdrip and after 3 hours, the pump finally started to show a rise after I ate. I reinstalled xdrip Sunday night (using the nightly build) and everything seems fine so went to bed.
Monday morning is a repeat of Sunday morning. Pump and xdrip show flatline of 110-120 over the night but meter reading is in the 170’s again. I calibrated using pump and the glucose readings on the pump updated but xdrip did not. Xdrip also was giving me an insufficient calibration error and stopped displaying readings. In the xdrip logs, I was also getting unknown data from transmitter warnings.
I then did the initial dual calibrations inside xdrip. Not only didn’t the warnings inside xdrip go away but my pump starting giving me bad calibration warnings. I tried 5 calibrations using the pump and finally called Tandem. I did not mention xdrip, obviously.
They said that after 3 bad calibrations, I should have just called and asked for a new sensor as they were sure it was bad. I had planned on just starting a new sensor when I got home from work, afraid that the transmitter might be ruined. But considering I didn’t have anything to lose, I tried this instead.
- Uninstalled xdrip and put Dexcom G6 app back on phone. The G6 app started and immediately gave me the same calibration errors that I was getting from the pump.
- Using test strips, I was able to successfully remove the transmitter from the sensor.
- From the pump, I stopped the sensor.
- I left the transmitter out for over 1/2 hour. I did not try to forget the transmitter on the phone or the pump. Just let it sit on the desk for awhile.
- I finally put the transmitter back in and from the pump started a new sensor. I used the original code from the sensor and waited for the 2 hour warm up period.
- When the warm up period ended, pump and phone both read 288 but meter said 208. I treated for the high reading but did not calibrate because my blood sugars were obviously high.
- When I woke up Tuesday morning, pump, phone, and meter readings were all in sync. I have calibrated twice since then just to check for errors but none have occured.
Sensor readings are still corresponding with meter readings. The sensor was 4 days old and did reset to 0 so I picked up an extra 4 days. I like the interface and features of xdrip but am uncertain as if I will reinstall. It turned out ok this time when Tandem sending me another sensor. But if xdrip had fried the transmitter, I would have been out of action because I could not order any new ones until January 18th.
Hope this helps some of you who have been going through similar issues. Always open to comments and suggestions on anything related. For information purposes, the transmitter is an 81 series.
Merry Christmas everyone.