xDrip on Samsung S21

Greetings all,
I do hope everyone is well ; quite a while since i last posted, and things have been much improved since the combination of xDrip and the miaomiao bluetooth reader have helped manage things.
I last night finally upgraded my phone (from a Samsung Galaxy S9 to an S21) but am having some trouble getting xDrip to work… which was the thing i feared most of all.
I clicked the ‘Start Source Setup Wizard’ button and it found the sensor, but is simply stuck on the ‘Collecting Initial Readings’ wizard… it is stuck on the second line “Receiving Data from LimiTTer Collector”. The sensor is around 8d in. Does it no recognize an aged sensor and need me to ditch it and replace with another…? That would be rather a shame. I did click ‘no’ to the question of whether i inserted it today.
Does anyone have an idea what might be happening and how i can resolve?
Many thanks indeed and all the very best,
John.

2 Likes

Do you have your Hardware Source set to LimiTTer? I would select a different hardware source temporarily, perhaps restart phone/BT, and then switch the Hardware Source back to what it should be in xDrip+ Settings.

1 Like

Thanks @Trying. I fiddled around and now i have it working…had to disconnect on my old phone before re-enabling on my new phone.
Do you know if there is a way of importing all my old data? I monitor the history closely and really wouldn’t want to lose it…
thank you.

2 Likes

It looks like there’s a way of saving settings via a QR code, but it’s not obvious to me how it works. my Galaxy S21 has no SD card, so cannot save by using that.
Could anyone help with how to export all my settings (including my alerts), and history, to my new phone?
thank you vm in advance.

2 Likes

I’m using an older version of xDrip+ but xDrip+ should still offer this import/export feature:
Go to the 3 dot menu in the upper right in xDrip+ on your old phone, and select Import / Export features. You should be able to export DB and Settings separately. Then you can copy those files to your new phone, and do an Import.

1 Like

Thanks @Trying. I have exported, and saved the (fairly chunky) file to the xdrip folder in my new phone and it claims to have “successfully imported”… but everything is blank and the sensor isn’t working now. Hmmmm.

Did you import the Settings, too? Did you check the Settings in xDrip+ and all looks correct (hardware source, etc.)? Did you check History, and it is showing up blank? I would again reboot the new phone, maybe after toggling the Hardware Source again. History should definitely not be blank after an Import from your old phone! How large is you exported file? Did you ensure you copied the backup files to the correct locations (ie., the same folder names on your old phone where the DB and Settings file are located)?

Thanks @Trying. Yes, I imported everything. Nothing at all seems to be there. I tried toggling the hardware source. I keep manually entering alerts, which are wiped each time i try another import.
The file is 37MB…sitting in the root of the xdrip folder in my phone, which is where the export function created them. Really not sure what i’m doing wrong here.

After you import the Settings file, go into xDrip+ Settings on your new phone and old phone and compare the values. The Alerts should be the same on both phones. If not, then somehow the Export / Import did not work correctly. The locations of the files should be in the same folder on the respecting phone. Also, try restarting xDrip+ and phone after Importing both Settings and the DB. I’m not sure what else to check. Are you using the same xDrip+ version on both phones?

You should havea DB file and a Settings file, at least that is how my version of xDrip+ works.

The Settings file should reside in the Internal storage/Download/xDrip-export folder. At least that is where mine is (I’m using an older version). The DB should reside in the Internal storage/xdrip folder.

which cgm are you using? the great/difficult thing about xdrip is that it will work with most cgms, but a wrong check or uncheck could easily create no readings… different for g5, g6, guardian, etc

Thanks both. After much fiddling, i gave up in the end and resigned myself to having lost the previous values. My alerts were all wiped, so i had to set them up again…but took solace in the opportunity to simplify them at least.
Next question: my pharmacist suggests i try Libre2. are you aware of whether xDrip+ works with Libre2 sensors without the faff of downloading a patched Libre app, per Freestyle Libre 2 — AndroidAPS 2.8 documentation ? or do i still need to go through this rigmarole? i like the idea of losing the (very effective) miaomiao unit, and its once-per-week battery recharge requirement, but then i don’t like the idea of losing an evening to setting it up.
Is it (still) needed ? And if so, is it easy/straightforward enough? or is it a pain in the rear?
Thank you very much indeed.
John.

1 Like

it sounds like you are not in the u.s., so you could use a patched librelink app and bypass the miaomiao by switching to the libre2, however, if you are still able to use xdrip, switching will only bypass the miaomiao, so its up to you… some users think its worth it to not have to worry about the miaomiao, but you will need to tinker a little to make it work with xdrip…maybe on a day off or 2…i also wanted to remind you to set up the predicted lows and alarms which are not always saved when switching phones

1 Like