Why Are There No Dex4 Tablets Available in Canada?

Moose cousins! Mine is from here in Canada, where after 5 years I finally saw one this year pass through our property.

Live long!

2 Likes

No fair! I didnā€™t get a moose mug with my shipment!

2 Likes

Itā€™s a tiny checkbox way down in the terms of use :wink:

1 Like

Hereā€™s one of ours!

3 Likes

Hi friends, Canadian here. Sorry to revive a dead post, but I went to a semi-local pharmacy to purchase some Dex-4 tabs and they told me theyā€™ve been out of stock for almost a year and they donā€™t know when their order will be in. :grimacing: small town problems?

Yup, they were all over the place and then they disappeared again. How on earth does it end up taking close to a year to stick on a new label?

I am curious, are Dex4 the only glucose tablets available in Canada, or is this brand preferred for some reason?

Here in Texas there were some shortages of some brands, flavors and sizes but no complete outages.

Once again, glad to help out my Canadian friends.

Straight to your door, no up-charge, no fees. Just the price for whatever it costs me to get them from Amazon, plus shipping.

4 Likes

I canā€™t say for sure, but Dex4 is the only brand I have seen.

The label theory sounds plausible, but not for them disappearing sometime about 10 months ago. Again, a month or so ago I called the parent company AMG Medical, and was told the disruption was an issue with the supply of dextrose, and they back in production. I imagine it might take months for supplies to catch up. I am not seeing them in local stores here in Moose Jaw,SK, but I have ordered them and see them available now from my Omnipod provider, Diabetes Express.

That Type1 Better post above is a good reference for alternatives. I prefer Dex4 for carrying in the vehicles and while doing outdoor work.

And kudos to Eric for his offer to send the across the border!

5 Likes

Pretty much, at least in central Canada. You sometimes see Gu and Lift brands in sport stores, but Dex4 dominates in pharmacies.

1 Like

Rexall had their own store brandā€¦ but no longer available :cry:

Still looking for someone that has the Jumbo/Giant Rockets (Called Smarties? in US).

Also, DEX 4 is backā€¦ Diabetes Express has the Chocolate Marshmallow, and another flavour available in bottles now.

2 Likes

These are the big ones (1 inch in diameter). A pack of 36 of these rolls for $18 U.S.
Want them?

On behalf of all T1s, thanks for taking the time to report, plus getting free replacements helps build up an emergency kit!

Iā€™m not sure you folks in Canada get the same response from Amazon that we in the US get. I just tried ā€œdextrose tabletsā€ and got nothing but Dex-4 and Transcend products. When I put in ā€œglucose tabletsā€ a whole bunch more showed up, with Transcend and TruePlus leading the way, but also Relion (Walmart brand?) and other ā€œnon-mainā€ brands. I also donā€™t know if you folks in Canada have the likes of Target, Walmart, and similar stores (Iā€™m ashamed Iā€™ve never visited my northern neighbor!) or their Canadian equivalents, but they ship all over the US, and have their ā€œstoreā€ brands available. Iā€™ve started searching online and ordering multiple 50 count bottles for free shipping and lowered costsā€¦I keep one in my nightstand (next to bed), one in the kitchen, and transfer from the bottles to the plastic tubes like Dex-4 and others sell (Iā€™m aware some sizing differences exist and may inhibit this) for taking in my pocket, keeping in our cars for easy access. I know several people like ā€œgummiesā€, Smarties (supposedly the same ingredients as gluten-tabs, but I always thought they were more ā€œchalkyā€), and jelly beans/bellyā€™s, etc. Damn, just thinking about the alternatives and my mouth is wateringā€¦!

Anyway, sounds like it may be mostly solved for now, though the mystery why continuesā€¦Iā€™m with the other person that said ā€œlabelingā€ sounds dubious for the time period it lasted.

1 Like