What's your favorite Diabetes Phone App, and why?

the g6 restarts seem to work better if i update xdrip prior to restarting, so i usually only update every 10 days, but so far its my favorite app because of the different customizeable alarms…on aaps, there are pump expiring soon beeps or expired pod loud long beep and that is it…basal changes, etc all default to the same notification default, so aaps is not really customizable at all…it is nice to use the bolus calc on the watch though…i tried a few different apps, but always went back to xdrip…but again, its strictly android

2 Likes

I’m just going to take everyone’s word for it at this point, because I’m not familiar with apps. All my flip phone does is make phone calls, so I wouldn’t know an app if it fell in my … lap! Here’s a question for you: How do I check out an app if I don’t have a smart phone? Oh, and, is this app free? Hmmmmm, I think I’ll do some research later today. Thank you!

2 Likes

I haven’t found this to be the case. Maybe it’s a setting? I get updates on a regular basis without leaving the app.

1 Like

When I first started xDrip, I also had a cheap, low cost flip phone, since I worked from home and most calls came to home phone.

So I bought a low cost android phone (about $50), and did not buy a phone plan. Then loaded xDrip, from home wifi connection. When not in wifi range, the phone will still communicate with Dexcom transmitter via bluetooth.

This past year, my cell phone provider forced upgrade, and sent me a new smart phone. My old one was 3G, and was told that was no longer supported or reliable!! And I loaded xDrip on new phone, and now carry just one device.

Yes, xDrip app is free.
You can use xDrip as a simple receiver (on android phone w/o phone service) to just show bg and trend. Can set up simple alarms for high, lows.
I use a fitbit watch, and was able to load a watchface that pulls data from xDrip, and displays on Fitbit, along with steps, etc.

So you could carry both flip phone and a smart phone w/out phone service. With internet access on phone you can try out xDrip and other apps you may be interested in. On android phones, you use Google Play to download apps to phone, even w/out phone service, as long as you set up internet connection.

1 Like

the updates were set to alpha instead of nightly, so it will update through the app…thanks elver

1 Like

I’m currently on “nightly” because I was trying to make the G6 support work (I eventually gave up and used the Dexcom app). It’s necessary to check for updates using the app menu. I did used to run on the stable release, I might have used alpha a couple of times, I thought the app advised me of pending updates, but maybe not. I never really found any reason to go to the nightlies and under normal circumstances I only dogfood stuff I’m actually involved in developing.

I must like xDrip+ a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Apart from @MM2’s observations it’s also possible to just use a watch, well, at least this one:

At least if the sales blurb is to be believed (there are BlueJay GTS users here so maybe they would like to comment). The watch runs xDrip (well, “xDrip Core”).

Apart from that since you don’t have a 'phone there are apps which run on larger computers; things like Dexcom’s Clarity (only shows blood glucose), Glooko (tries to integrate data from multiple sources) and NightScout (like Glooko but much more controllable, considerable setup required unless you use a paid service.)

If you want something portable the only other thing that springs to my mind is the Insulet Omnipod O5 system. You have to be using a Dexcom G6 and the (newest) Omnipod insulin pumps, but you get a freebie “controller” which is, in fact, a smart phone that has been dumbed down so that people like me can use it without spending ages learning stuff. The beauty is you don’t even need the controller most of the time, just to do meals, corrections and handle setup.

It all depends on what you want, what you are prepared to do and what you can gain access to, but there will be someone on FUD who has faced any particular problem, so welcome!

@RogerType1
@jbowler

I’m MDI and don’t currently use any apps other than Dexcom’s Clarity on the computer and my android phone (which is basically just a summary of the computer Clarity data).

Why do you consider xdrip important for MDI, and what are its benefits?

For those using pump, lots of data is usually stored and easy to review

XDrip has support for bolus calculations and logging other things like exercise, illness, etc that may be helpful to see as related to cgm trend. But optional to input.

1 Like

I’ve been a fan of xdrip since 2016 and just kind of kept using it because it works better for me…it is actually very similar to the Clarity app, and i was speaking more to the self funded users who are usually stuck with libre work arounds since dexcom$>libre$…and because libre currently will not work with xdrip in the us as far as i know…xdrip does have the bluejay watch which will work without your phone, as well as truly customized alarms ( any mp3 could be selected on xdrip, vs beeps or limited options on clarity last time i checked), which is important to me because i can easily distinguish predicted low, high, etc based on which ringtone i hear…i also work in loud areas sometimes, and the beeps don’t always alert me…xdrip also has very customizable predicted values based on insulin to carb ratios, carb absorption, insulin on board, etc, which is all duplicated on most insulin pumps, looping software, etc, which was why i said xdrip was more important for mdi

1 Like

@MM2 @RogerType1

Thanks for your clear explanations. I better give xdrip a look!

This prior discussion has info and screen shots from xDrip. Although may be minor changes to some screens since xDrip is continually updated. There is option to have it automatically update to stable versions.

1 Like