What's your favorite Diabetes Phone App, and why?

The Diabetes logbook thread got me to wondering about this. I know of quite a few apps, but don’t personally use any except the G5 Mobile app, Follow and Share. I’m referring to apps that track your Diabetes journey, carbs, exercise, BG’s, and other things.

I have been weary of using an app because it’s “just another thing to do.” Since it seems that everything would require “manual” entry…which I don’t see as practical in our lives right now.

As a manual logger, I am interested in which apps you use, which you consider the best and why!

Thanks!

2 Likes

I use many apps. I just love data! My logging tool is MySugr. I log everything into that app and also feed my CGM data into it so that I can compare that against what I am eating. It keeps track of my average, standard deviation, and total carbs, etc… It also estimates my A1C which has been pretty accurate so far. MySugr sends me a weekly report showing me comparisons between how I did this week vs. last week. It’s a very easy to use and visually appealing app.

I also use some other apps to help me out. I use LoseIt to help me calculate carbs for my meals. In addition to the Dexcom app I use Sugarmate. I don’t enter any data there, but I like that it has predictive low alerts. It let’s me know if I’ve been trending downward for an hour close to my low target, so it alerts me before Dexcom does. It also alerts me if I have been steady and above normal. This is great for when I wake up in the middle of the night with a high BG, give a correction and go back to bed. I will get an alert from Sugarmate if my BG does not come down so that I don’t end up sleeping until the morning (Dexcom will not give another alert once you have passed your high target).

I am also checking out a new app called Diabits. I just downloaded it today. It’s the beta version but it looks interesting. Here is a sample screen.

2 Likes

Does it automaticaly import your real-time Dexcom data?

It automatically imports the data, but there is a lag of about 3 hrs. It gets the data from Apple Health.

2 Likes

We have used a lot of apps. Right now, what we are using is:

• MyNetDiary (Diabetes for-pay version, about $60/yr I think) is where we log food, insulin, fingerprick BGs, and, when we remember, exercise. It works fairly well for us because all of us can look at it, from different locations. The two weaknesses:

• it does not ALWAYS duplicate info into the server, which is frustrating
    • its food database is not as good as MyFitnessPal
  • The Dexcom App, and the Dexcom Follow App

• Clarity on the computer

What we have used and stopped using:

• Blueloop-- it just did not do much for us, and did not always simply function.

• Glooko. We may try it again.

• Diasend. Uploading does not work for us. It must be automatic.

• MySugr. No real-time CGM data

• MyFitnessPal. It does not integrate well with our workflow. But we still use it as a backup food and recipe database, for instance to look up items that are not in the MyNetDary’s food database (not very often needed, maybe once a month).

We would really like to get the Omnipod pump info through wifi.

1 Like

I was hoping that had changed :slight_smile:

I use:
xdrip+ for…

• getting BG from the Dexcom G5
  • BG statistics (averages, percentile charts, for today, yesterday, last 7 days, last 30 days)

Android APS to…

• Bolus Calculator
  • Keeping track of Insulin on board - (all IOB - boluses, temporary basals and extended boluses)
  • Keeping track of Carbs on board (COB)
  • Predicting future BG (based on total IOB, COB, and insulin sensitivity)
  • Logging carbs, boluses, extended boluses, temp basals
  • Logging pump (pod) changes - with notes on where they are and what direction they point
  • Logging CGM changes and locations installed and comments
  • Note taking
  • Recommending temporary basals to keep in target.

Both xdrip+ and AndroidAPS do BG predictions based on IOB and carbs on board. Android APS predictions are based on a lot of stuff (Total IOB, COB, insulin sensitivity adjustment). xdrip+ only has a basic prediction based on Bolus insulin IOB and COB. I defintiely like AndriodAPS predictions better, but when I started with xdrip+ the predictions were somewhat useful.

xdrip+ has great BG statistics analysis on your phone, but if you want to analyse BG, carbs, bolus insulin, and basal insulin, all at the same time you need another application. I use Nighscout reports to do hgher levels of analysis.

AndroidAPS and xdrip+ both keep local data stored on the phone. They also can log to a remote web database where all the info can be stored. I use MLabs to store the data and Nighscout for reporting and data analysis.

I then use Nighscout reports to look at the historical data in the

4 Likes

Does it calculate IOB realistically or linearly? Does anything available calculate it realistically?

Ummm… well… depends on your definition of realistic. :slight_smile:

I would have to say that AndroidAPS does it better than any pump because it uses a custom action curve for the insulin you are using.

There are various insulin action profiles you can choose from and then you enter in a DIA to scale it. (i.e. rapid acting (Novolog, Humalog,) Ultra-rapid (Fiasp), etc.) The profiles are mostly based on available literature on the insulin in question.

For each IOB update, it goes back and loads all insulin treatments that are still active and calculates the IOB remaining for each treatment and then adds it up and displays the total.

Here is the insulin curve from the standard insulin curve library I use for FIASP:

AndroidAPS uses the OpenAPS algorithms for IOB. For your reading pleasure…
http://openaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/docs/While%20You%20Wait%20For%20Gear/understanding-insulin-on-board-calculations.html

2 Likes

i almost gave up on the wearaps, until i mistakenly deleted xdrip from my watch and had to figure out how to reinstall it…i had to reset the router, phone, watch, manually input the watch ip address in wear installer, and it finally worked…the xdrip watchface with the date is still my favorite, but it is nice to be able to bolus and use the wizard from my watch

2 Likes

I use xDrip on Android phone for same as above. But also xDrip feeds similar data to my fitbit watch. (Now with Dexcom G6).

Since switching to Tandem X2 pump, I also get pump data on Tandem T:Connect phone app, includes IOB, cgm trend, BG, basal rates, time in range, last bolus amount, and various pump settings. Also a web T:Connect site, and the app sends data to it once set up. So can see weekly, monthly data, etc, which can be shared with endo.

1 Like

Quoting you out of context but I think xDrip+ wins hands down (I’ve not tried the Apple port). I’m running it in parallel with AndroidAPS and Dexcom. In comparison both suck from the point of view of presenting information effectively.

Of course they do other things, so I forgive them. Do one thing, do it well.

xDrip+

1 Like

I hated xDrip+. Every day there was a new error I had to troubleshoot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ironically that’s the highest praise that a piece of software can every achieve. It means you used it.

1 Like

I disagree. The highest praise is if you still use it. There are lots of crap software apps out there but only the best survive the test of time. To each their own though! I know quite a few people who love it and don’t mind the endless issues it has.

2 Likes

Ha! A debate (not an argument). I live by the words of The Bruce, “If, at once, you do not succeed.” and thereby the realization, courtesy of Robert, that he was a total idiot. Forever I’ve run this rule for software, clearly I’m quoting, or misquoting, The Bruce, no originality here:

If at once it does not work do not try to make it work.

I don’t think I’ve ever used a piece of software that did not work immediately. I have been drawn in, tried to debug the enormous piles of manure, and had to retreat, cautiously. So far xDrip+ (after many years) and AndroidAPS (after a few weeks) don’t run in that league. Of course we all may have to consign them to the dung pile; that is the final destination of all software.

So, yes. You are completely correct. I still use xDrip+ after an Apple imposed moment of madness. I don’t use a whole lot of things. So, in the spirit of the debate, which is by definition confrontational, what do you use, and why?

2 Likes

XDrip+ gets my vote for the feature set, the text a lat\long to friend\spouse when you don’t answer alarms feature in a timely manner (yes it works thankfully) and for the upload to NightScout and Tidepool for the reporting capabilities. I do also enjoy being able to see my BGs on my wrist almost like I was Dick Tracy, much easier than pulling out my phone or pump.

3 Likes

the xdrip “issues” are usually solved by nightly updates, which now seem to require manual downloads vs updating through the app…definitely an android only app for now though, and a much more important app for people on mdi, as the looping software usually does adequate or repetitious low or high predictions…when you are looping, xdrip is more a glucose watch face…

1 Like

almost forgot about the 5 customizable alarms on xdrip which i use daily

1 Like

Nightly updates also annoyed the crap out of me. Lol. I’m too busy to do all the updating and fixing that the app required. To me, it was like a whole new disease that I had to track, monitor and address. Those who love it, great…but my opinion of the app is what it is. :slight_smile:

I have watch face BGs at the flick of the wrist for Liam’s and my watches without xDrip+

2 Likes