What does your bluetooth show?

I currently have Dexcom G7 running, and numbers are showing in the Dexcom G7 app.

That is the DXCMxM shown below. (The G7 always starts with “DXCM” and then has 2 more characters after that.) Yes, my phone is near my sensor.

The Apple Watch is on a different floor, but it is showing up!

TWI BOARD is the Dash pump. That is showing up!

Why is my sensor showing as “Not Connected”? I am getting readings, doesn’t that mean it has to be connected?

Does your G7 show up in your bluetooth settings as “Connected” or “Not Connected”?

BTW, I posted something related on a different thread, but maybe this is the cause of the problem I am seeing. Maybe it isn’t a Loop problem.

So I am starting a different thread. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Mine doesn’t show either all the time but every 5 minutes it hits so your Dexcom, Loop etc. get the numbers.

Does everything look right except for your blue tooth?

BTW I just put on a new G7 & I delayed taking off the old for 20 minutes while the new one warmed up… I was only without readings for 5 minutes.

LOL you can teach an old dog new tricks! but only if the dog is s diabetic :rofl: please keep the NPH away from the dog :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

It only shows when receiving data which would be a miracle to see it happen

DUH! That’s transmitting data,

6 Likes

As CarlosLuis said, the sensor connects once every 5 minutes for a really quick burst of data, then immediately disconnects.

6 Likes

You have a long list of old transmitters there. Too many can sometimes cause Bluetooth dropouts, so Dexcom recommends clicking “Forget this device” for all but the current one. Not sure how the codes work with G7, but with G6 the last two digits or letters corresponded to the last two of the transmitter ID. Don’t worry if you mistakenly “forget” your current transmitter. You’ll just be asked to re-pair.

5 Likes

@ Beacher Thank you. I had noticed I need to clean that up. You obviously looked at my phone pretty closely. I want to thank you for not calling me out about the girl spelling of my name. You can only imagine when I was 8 how many playground issues I had :roll_eyes:

1 Like

LOL. I didn’t even notice. My eyes just saw clutter, and I despise clutter, on the phone, on the computer, on the kitchen counter …

1 Like

@Eric I’m on G6, so may be different, but my Bluetooth an iOS settings rarely shows the current G6 sensor/transmitter as “connected”. I’ve noticed this, but like you wonder how iOS knows to “activate” at the same 5 minute intervals as the transmitter. I figure it’s similar to the old passcode timing devices various orgs used in the past. On the good side, everything’s working, just as you indicate.

1 Like

@SobeiT I think you can go in and delete all those apparently old Dexcom sensor/transmitters. Just don’t eliminate the current one, eh?!

EDITTED: Sorry, Beacher already commented, didn’t mean to double tap you!

2 Likes

@ Beacher

We can both be happy now :grin:

3 Likes

The phone is always listening for bluetooth devices to connect. It doesn’t need to wake up and start listening 5 minutes from the last connection.

6 Likes

@bkh big brother is always listening :scream:

2 Likes

@bkh My lack of understanding the electronic world is showing! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I should get educated more on how Bluetooth functions…thanks for the info!

3 Likes

Thanks!! Just happened to ask Dexcom and he said to wait until starting new sensor. I just removed the whole list except for the top and bottom one. Nothing bad happened.

I was told that every 5 minutes you get a reading. I also inquired about this. So it will read “not connected” until the next reading, if you time it right, you will actually see “connected.” :blush:

2 Likes

I’ve seen it happen, has to be time perfectly :sweat_smile:

1 Like

As others said “connected” means there is an active connection but the G6 and G7 both drop the connection once the requested data has been sent to the connectee. It’s the same on Android as on iOS.

The list of devices is the list of paired devices; so far as I can tell once a computer is paired to a dexcom Gx transmitter a connection can be established at any time. With the G6 this was no big deal, with the G7 there is a new transmitter which must be paired anew every 10 days so it’s easy to get a massive list. I adopted a strategy with the G7 of manually unpairing (in the OS, not the app) with each new transmitter. Neither Google nor Apple have yet woken up to the fact that these devices leave spurious “pairings” on the computer that are just plain confusing/annoying.

Dexcom have also made this very tricky with the G7. The pairing code (the password) is the four digit code printed on the box that must be entered to allow the app to connect to the transmitter, however the pairing code does NOT help with working out which device is which. The transmitter “id” is, indeed, the last two characters of the device name, so:

As you can see I have “DXCMqs” and “DXCMKu” paired, but which is the new (current) one and which is the one I started using 1.9 days ago? Since I use xDrip+ and since JamOrHam has improved the G7 handling quite a lot over the last few months (and probably will improve it quite a lot more, I hope) I can find out from the xDrip+ “System Status”:

That tells me the “Transmitter ID” (the pairing code) and the MAC; the string of poo on the line after the Transmitter ID. Then I can go back to the OS Settings and find the same string of poo on the “information” for one of the devices:

This is, of course, horrendous. It’s clearly an “intelligent user” interface because a normal human being couldn’t possibly use it. Pretty much a standard user interface for modern computers but inappropriate for medical devices.

But what about the ID? It’s two ASCII latin alphanumeric characters and is case sensitive. So there are only 3844 distinct device identifiers (62x62). Now if my stats remembers me (or maybe the other way round) that means if 62 diabetics with G7 sensors are gathered together for some unknown purpose there is a good chance that two of then will have the same device identifier.

What happens then? What happens when one of the two transmitters transmits? Do both computers wake up and attempt to pair (only one will succeed)? I certainly don’t know enough about BlueTooth to comment.

Is it better with the Dexcom app? Does it display the transmitter ID (DXCM??) somewhere?

4 Likes

Per the Dexcom site https://www.dexcom.com/en-CA/faqs/g7/how-do-you-remove-old-sensors-from-my-devices-bluetooth-list the following Dexcom guidance is provided:

Remove while using sensor

To remove old sensors from the Bluetooth connections list while you are wearing one, follow the above steps and keep these tips in mind:

• All Dexcom sensors are listed as not connected, even the current one. The current sensor’s status changes to connected during the few seconds every 5 minutes when it’s sending your sensor reading to your phone. If you watch the list for up to 5 minutes, you’ll see which sensor is the current one.
  • Don’t worry if you remove the current sensor. Within 5 minutes, the sensor will send your next sensor reading to your phone and the sensor will reappear in the Bluetooth connections list. (If you use an iPhone, it will prompt you to re-pair the sensor — no pairing code needed. Android phones do this automatically.)
    ==================

Admittedly, following the second bullet involves a bit of “trust” of Dexcom!
(Sorry for the text font size/formatting, I couldn’t figure out how to change it after noticing I was YELLING!)

4 Likes

th-396933977

No worries about yelling. Go ahead & step up on your soapbox, I like those vans :joy:

2 Likes

Ok, let’s see if it works; I’ve got 5 days on this sensor and I just “unpaired” it. Last reading was 4 minutes ago…

Oops:

16:13 onRecieve UPDATE Name DXCMqs Value
      C5:10:B3:9E:C8:32 Bond state 10 Unpaired bs: Unpaired was Pairing
16:12 onReceive: UPDATE Name DXCMqs Value
      C5:10:B3:9E:C8:32 Bond state 11 Pairing bs: Pairing was Unpaired
16:12 onReceive UPDATE Name DXCMXU Value
      C9:DC:D8:6F:83:83 Bond state 10 Unpaired bs: Unpaired was found

That’s probably incomprehensible to most people but what happened was that I have three failed sensors on a wait with Dexcom customer service (“48 hours” doesn’t include certain days) and the DXCMXU is my current sensor, the DXCMqs is one of the three failed ones sitting on my desk while I wait for Dexcom to call back.

It took more than 5 minutes for xDrip+ to work out what is going on but it doesn’t seem to have dropped a reading. So on balance deleting all of them is OK. Tested by someone who knows how to break things :slight_smile:

2 Likes