Update on G7

2 Likes

It’s interesting that they claim what seems to be around 50% better MARD for the G7 over the G6. The figures for the G6 were measured independently here:

One thing the pubmed article documents that surprises me is that the actual accuracy of the G6 using the measurements for fingerstick test strips is only +/-30%,+/-30mg/dL (in fact the G6 is a little worse that that). Full text (which I haven’t read) is here:

The 50% better MARD; 8.2% vs 12.8% for the G6, suggests that they might now be meeting the old test strip standard of +/-20%,+/-20mg/dL.

1 Like

One difference I see is that in those PubMed papers their MARD values are for the difference between the CGM and a fingerstick, whereas the MARD values we have from clinical studies and reported by the manufacturers is between the CGM and lab equipment. If fingersticks are less accurate than lab equipment, than a study using a comparison with fingersticks would cause a larger MARD value.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. Excited about the 30 minute warm up time!!(As long as it accurate). Hopefully we get some user reports out of Europe.

3 Likes

Yes, indeed. I had tracked down another PubMed paper about BGM accuracy quoting a MARD of around 5%, but I can’t find it now. There are quite a lot of papers out there. This one comes from 2012 so is about the time of the great test strip accuracy opera:

The measurements were against an accepted piece of lab equipment for measuring BG and that this was used to measure capillary blood collected by a technician.

Two of the five products tested apparently failed the ISO 2003 standard (the +/-20 one); this was at the time of the “inaccurate test strip” opera. I found the comments in the “[b]ias and regression analysis” section quite apposite.

1 Like

@jim26 I’m excited, but nervous about this. With the transmitter integrated to the consumable, it’s not clear that those of us who need the G6 sensor to sit for 12 hrs +/- prior to warming up will be able to do that. It’ll be rough going for me if I have to return to a half day (or full night) of artificial high or low alarms ughhh. Hoping that two transmitters will be able to sit next to each other, with one waiting to be activated.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know. I would hope that insertion wouldn’t activate the sensor. I also hope the first the first 12 hours are more accurate. Fortunately moving the sensor placement to my arm from the abdomen fixed my accuracy issues? Have you tried a different placement?

4 Likes

@JessicaD Good point. I always “presoak” as well. I don’t think that I could mentally deal with all the erroneous alarms for the first 12 hours again! Having to turn all alarms off and knowing that it is always wrong (but still having to check, just in case it has been exorcized) for half a day kinda defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

I am into the second day of my new G6 and I am still getting erratic readings!! Yesterday I turned the phone completely off for 20-30 minutes ‘cos I was so frustrated with it! I am doing so many confirming fingersticks my fingers are getting sore. The G7 better be way better than this!! :angry:

2 Likes

@jim26 unfortunately abdomen doesn’t work at all for me (the sensors crap out after a few days) and I tried my best to get my legs to work – the calf placement seemed like it would be a dream, but the sensors also didn’t last for me. My upper arms are truly magical – I can get upwards of 20 days per sensor, but those first 12 hours are terrible. @CatLady I consistently have false lows and my phone screaming at me so that I’m either erroring the sensor or putting it into a death spin by confusing it with calibrations. I can’t believe you’re in day two of poor readings with yours – that sounds miserable!

Fingers crossed that the G7 will be an improvement!

4 Likes

I know exactly what you mean! :smile:

3 Likes

Not G7, but this is interesting announcement.
Dexcom One. Looks like a G6 “plus”, with a better app.

"via the Dexcom ONE mobile app, the technology eliminates the need for painful fingerpricks.† The app was specially designed to be user friendly, "

Not clear if for UK only.

1 Like

UK & Ireland, Benelux, France and Spain I think. They were selling the G6 for 2000 quid/year:

Bear in mind that you pay nothing, nada, nothing whatsoever, in the UK if you are a T1D (you don’t even pay for things that other people pay for, like the prescription charge, even for things utterly unrelated to diabetes). So Dexcom were selling to rich people.

Once they get approval under the UK regulations they will get a lot less money and T1Ds will pay no money. I can’t find out how much Dexcom will get; someone in the UK could but we can’t get access to the web sites from the US.

So they are repackaging it to pretend it is something different:

https://investors.dexcom.com/news-releases/news-release-details/dexcom-announces-dexcom-one-newest-real-time-continuous-glucose

Two benefits; they can pretend to investors that it is something new (the investor-lemmings like that) and they can pretend to the guys who were paying 2000 quid a year that it’s a higher quality product than the one available on the NHS. Some people believe stuff like that, though I don’t think any of them live in the UK.

5 Likes

@jbowler possibly we could by using a VPN and sneaking in as a uk based interested party.

1 Like

If you have a UK geolocated IP and a UK physical address I’m pretty sure the information is available, or rather it will be when the negotiations have finished and Dexcom are on what would be called the “formulary” in the US.

My understanding is that the PCP (UK: GP) pays for the Dexcom (etc) and that these prices are the prices negotiated by the NHS and administered by the insurance company (UK: NHS trust). I may be wrong; it’s nowhere near as complicated as the US but I haven’t lived there for 30 years and things have changed, there were no NHS trusts when I was there.

The PCP price is what gets paid. I assume the reason for not publishing it outside the UK is that people like Dexcom don’t want people in other countries to know, but it may just be UK bureaucracy:

Written by a brit for brits.

2 Likes

The hardest part of the whole equation would be the UK based CC.

(BTW, that was a great book… “So long and thanks for all the fish”)

2 Likes

In the Dexcom One media link it states “The Dexcom G6 CGM will continue to be available through existing channels to people who require additional support to manage diabetes”

Perhaps there’s no Dexcom Clarity access to users who choose the soon-to-be-released and more affordable Dexcom One option :thinking: :thinking:?

1 Like

I think it is just a complicated way to say that people who currently get the Dexcom through the CGM; people who meet specific requirements (i.e. same as US “pre-approval”) will not have to change how they get their supplies. Until they change the web page in response to the changes Dexcom’s “charity partner”, someone called “JDRF”, has this to say about the old rules:

1 Like