Unlimited photos

Took all the 50 year old ducts out today. They leaked like a sieve. The way the codes are now I would have to either seal the leakers and do a leak test or replace them if I wanted to keep the forced air heat by replacing the (50 year old) furnace. The plan is heat pump with mini splits in different zones, will save a bunch on heating and cooling that way.

8 Likes

Geez they’re not even insulated?

4 Likes

That’s the way they did it in the bad old days. I hope future generations appreciate how energy efficient the house is after I’m done with it. All the insulation is being brought up to today’s standards. It’s been a funnish part of the project, more interesting than plumbing.

3 Likes

Cool project, did you get a reasonable payday from the recycler?

3 Likes

So far the steel and copper has gone to my County recycle bin, hopefully the County makes a few bucks from it. I offered those ducts to the local building salvage stores who had no interest. I did manage to give all the 2003 vintage vinyl windows to a building salvage company who is giving me credit towards some reclaimed fir timbers I need for ceiling trim and mantel.

I figure my restoration of the old growth fir vaulted ceiling beams is sort of like recycling. I sanded 50 years worth of grime and got them to furniture grade smoothness. The photo is the amount of sanding I could get done while I was waiting for permits in ‘20. I am sure the builders in this area would have torn this place down which would have been a shame…those timbers are irreplaceable.

13 Likes

Very Cool timbers! But if you paid yourself a reasonable wage for your hours of sanding against trying to make a profit on the build, it probably wouldn’t work well for the builder. Looks amazing though.

3 Likes

Agreed. I somehow walked myself into an approach that is the opposite of “time is money”. The pandemic reinforced that approach, when most other options for staying busy locked down. It feels odd when I take a step back and think about it.

2 Likes

At least you will have a great memento to remember the great lock-down of 2020-2021. And if you ever want to reverse the “time is money” paradigm again, I will happily buy a cabin in a somewhat remote location and set you to enjoy yourself for a year or so, and then I can reap the benefits of your newfound approach to life.

6 Likes

Ha! I am currently still in enjoyment mode but doubt it will last forever. Working solo get tedious and is starting to drive me slightly nuts. It’s doubtful I will ever stick my neck out this far again. Although I will be glad to head to your remote location and arm chair quarterback you.

6 Likes

I’ve been waiting decades for a modern rink to open in north Seattle and that day officially arrives on September 10! To commemorate the occasion my aging friends and I will be playing the first ever beer league hockey game at the new facility the night before, on Sept. 9. It will be a marathon-like evening…5:30 to 6:30, dinner, then 9 to 11. I hope to report back how many hundreds of grams of carbs it takes to keep my feet moving through this one.

10 Likes

Sounds like a great way to celebrate the opening. Waiting with baited breath for the after action meal report. You may even get up to the @Eric levels of eating in which case you will be bestowed an electronic version of the diabetic Meal Team Six award.

5 Likes

Trying to decide if the after event carbs will be trackable…there is a midnight tailgate planned. My ability to keep track of that celebratory feasting will be questionable.

6 Likes

Sounds like you better bring your vac card too

3 Likes

4 Likes

Wow is that 405? Great squat. Lift heavy, lift often.

3 Likes

Thank you! That is certainly the motto! This one was 451…the plate ordering is 45,55,45,35,10,5,5,2.5 (can’t see the last few…and I’m rounding the bar up from 20kg to 45 lbs by using some heavy duty clips and the 5s being 2.5kg plates…)

Since then I’ve gotten 466 for 3 but have been more focused on fitness than strength

4 Likes

11 Likes

Well I had a great time, saw some old friends for the first time since the pandemic, scored a goal, stayed up late.
The game plan was altered by omitting the pre-dinner skate (a film crew was using the rink)…so I went with my tried and true “5 pm carby dinner for 9 pm hockey” which worked fine. 50% temp basal 1.5 hours before game. 160 BG at start (higher than usual) and 105 at finish (also higher than usual). 15g transcend gel at the start, and 30g watered down Powerade during the 2 hour game.

Best guess is 70 late night grams of carbs in food + beer afterwards, can’t remember if I bolussed for any of it…slept well at BG 130 to 80.

8 Likes

Sound very unlimited!

2 Likes

11 Likes