Unlimited "summer camp"

Our son, Kaelan, just got accepted into a program in CA for Diabetic teens called Altitude 14505 sponsored by DYF - Diabetes Youth Families in Concord, CA. They do a ten day backpacking trip in the High Sierras and summit Mt. Whitney every year with about 10 T1D teens. So excited to see how this challenge takes shape. There is some serious training involved.

12 Likes

That is fantastic, and sounds like a great experience. How many miles do they average?

2 Likes

That sounds so cool! Here’s to being #unlimited!

4 Likes

I’m not quite sure. Will let you know when we hear more as he is “oriented”. I think the first days are an exploration with lots of ups and downs, and getting used to carrying a pack, and then they get up at 2 in the morning on summit day to make it up and down in good weather. He is looping, and they say that is possible but no communications to home. I am just wondering what they suggest to keep things charged for 10 days. Solar?

3 Likes

Do not plan on solar for anything. To work it requires a basecamp and to be stationary and aimed at the sun. We have some awesome fabric solar panels that can be connected together and run a laptop, but when you are moving there is no hope of using it to charge. Plan on buying a lithium ion battery with enough juice to keep the tech charged. They have some that are compact and light enough to charge the pump and phone 10-20 times without needing any type of recharge.

7 Likes

Makes sense about the battery. I know some of the counselors loop so they will probably have specific recommendations.

MP

1 Like

Oh my goodness, how amazing! We love DYF and the Mt. Whitney kids are so amazing. Hoping he comes back with some epic stories…

4 Likes

Congrats to Kaelan! That’s really awesome that he is going to do that!

Anker makes a lot of small chargers that would be easy to carry, but he needs to test how long it will hold a charge, and how many charges he can get out of it.

Here is one:
Anker PowerCore+ Mini

3 Likes

It sounds amazing! What is your experience with DYF? it sounds like you know much more than we do.

Thanks

MP

1 Like

Hi MaryPat, we have been several times for “family camp” and have enjoyed it. The Mt. Whitney kids come back at the same time so we’ve chatted with them.

3 Likes

What an opportunity!! I did this type of hiking back in the 60’s thru Boy Scouts (good experiences all, a different time)! I often think back to those wonderful days hiking along the Kern River, camping at Guitar lake just below Whitney (had trout for dinner!), and seeing Columbine lake (glaciated back then). Hope he loves the experience!!!

2 Likes

Sounds like a sweet memory - I bet that trout tasted incredible! I am sure he will have an amazing time!

MP

2 Likes

I’d concur with Chris that solar is not a good idea whatsoever. Even in perfect conditions it’s woefully worthless. I’d make sure you have some li-ion battery chargers on hand… Michel is extraordinarily well equipped to determine the requirements of such Id imagine…

And I think this has the potential to be a great experience of growth… not only for all that this experience would offer for any kid… but particularly for a diabetic kid of his age who’s approaching readiness to “leave the nest”

Of course as I’m sure you are all already talking about and strategizing I’d make sure there are backups for everything…

This sounds like a great opportunity… and I’d rest assured knowing he’s with other diabetics and presumably skilled and experienced counselors, or leaders or whatever they call it.

Looking forward to reading his full report… the fun, the challenges, everything…

4 Likes

*camp

2 Likes

They have a doctor who goes on the trip too, it’s very safe.

4 Likes

you should definitely get an OrangeLink for the Looping; one less thing to charge (only the phone). The OrangeLink takes two triple A batteries LiOn batteries and lasts for weeks on that. It also sized for an airpod case and so you can get all the various waterproof/sturdier options that way.

6 Likes

That’s a great idea. Then he would only have to charge the phone.

2 Likes

Thank you for the great idea. Just ordered one plus a waterproof case that was suggested on their fb group.

MP

2 Likes

I went to a camp that offered a 12-day backpacking trip when I was 16, it was in the Beartooth mountains of Montana, and it was an amazing transformative experience in my life. Not only did it kick off my life-long hobby of hiking and backpacking in the mountains, but the experience to be with other kids my age doing something so challenging and out of the ordinary was amazing. One of the rules we had was we had to be locate our-self within 50 feet on a map to be able to eat lunch. The first day out we didn’t eat lunch until 3:30. By the end of the trip we could pin point our location within 5 minutes using a map and compass. I look back at the trip as a key moment in my life that changed everything for the better. I hope Kaelan has an equally amazing and transformative trip.

6 Likes