Trying the Eversense implanted CGM

Based on how my second sensor has been working lately, I’d say it’s worth it (for me) considering I only had to spend $99 for the 90 day sensor plus $220 to have it inserted. It’s worth it because I use the arm alerts for low, high, fast rise or drop. I use those when I don’t carry my iPhone with me and they really do work.

For this sensor, it seems to have settled in about 2 weeks after insertion. Before it settled in, I’d have to say it was almost worthless because the BG values were jumping up and down. Now it seems to be accurate and steady. Unfortunately, I “mentally gave up” earlier this week and started a new Dexcom transmitter. So now I’m using 2 CGMs for a while…

There are certainly some quirks with the Eversense app that take some getting used to. @RogerType1 has noted that xDrip is a good alternative to the Eversense app. I have not been able to try xDrip so I’m plodding along with the factory app.

1 Like

For the future, can someone please document the procedures needed to get it to work with Xdrip+ ? Did you say you still needed the eversense app or no? How abut an android wear watch like my Huwawei? I currently use loop with the G6 and Omnipod but may switch after the year study is up but would like to know for future.

1 Like

The procedures are on github and I would be prepared to dedicate a day off of work or 2…it took me a little while, but I had more issues with setting up the nightscout and Alexa app, which I’m still not sure is necessary, but I do enjoy the ability to use Alexa when my phone and watch are charging. The android or Google.wear watch will work. I also tried to use widgets, but they did not work, you have to use android wear. The eversense app gives the readings, then another app sends them to xdrip, which will send them to your phone…xdrip will not read the eversense transmitter, unlike the Dexcom…it works more like the libre2

1 Like

Not phone, watch

Still no news from EverSense. I would be more upset if it weren’t for hearing of some of your feedback, @John58 and @RogerType1. At the least, I think hearing your comments has confirmed my decision to insist they send a new sensor. I just don’t think I am willing to have gone through all this nonsense plus insertion for a sensor that’s been out of my and EverSense’s possession for as long as this one has been.

1 Like

Eversense also sent me a letter about a recall on a limited number of sensors, I would try and continue to call them to try to resolve both the insertion issue, as well as the recall, especially if your old sensor is or is not currently in the refrigerator… again, prior to insertion, it is supposed to be in the refrigerator, but in the pharmacy, it is not stored in the refrigerator. I also had to drive to another provider to have the insertion, and it sounds like the problem is with eversense… I’m about to call them and tell them i moved to the d.c. area and need to have my old sensor removed or another one inserted, and then tell you what address and provider they gave me…let me know if you want me to do that

1 Like

Seems like a good time for a quick update… my Eversense sensor has settled in to a good routine of accuracy. I started this sensor on 10/30/19 and (due to impatience during the first few weeks, when the sensor was not quite accurate enough for me) started a Dexcom G5 transmitter on 11/12/19. Also went through the business with my iPhone and re-installed the Spike app for the G5.

So for the past 5 weeks I’ve been checking BG fingersticks against (1) a “seasoned” Eversense sensor, (2) Dexcom G5, using the Dexcom receiver and (3) Dexcom G5 using Spike app.

I are not a statistician and can only give my overall view of the comparison… which is Eversense and G5 seem about equally accurate. For convenience/calibrations I prefer the G5 with Spike app. I also find it easy to extend the G5 transmitter life using Spike. For low/high alarms when not carrying iPhone, the Eversense vibratory alerts on my arm are super. I use it that way a lot and find those arm alerts helpful. However, I’ve also tried wearing the Dexcom receiver strapped around my waist in a pouch and feel that it also covers that need (as long as I don’t drop the receiver).

I guess the bottom line right now is I will keep on with G5 and Spike after this Eversense sensor expires end of January. Coincidentally I will be on a 3 week trip when it expires and would not be able to get a new sensor inserted in late January anyway. If Senseonics can get the 180 day sensor approved and if Spike app upgrades to use Eversense BG data I might change my tune.

2 Likes

Would be awesome to compare notes with you, @John58, but I’m still waiting on that call. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Well my second sensor is going to expire in the next week or so and I’m trying to clear off space on my arm for Omnipods so I figured its time to wrap up the Eversense trial. Eversense is something I would certainly use again if (a) they can get the 180 day sensor approved or (b) they re-start the discount cash buyer program for the 90-day sensors. I have binders full of numbers (Contour Next BG vs Dexcom G5 vs Eversense) which I probably won’t do anything with, but can generally be summarized with the two plots below:

Jan. 11 plot…made with Glooko, so I am not able to identify which is Eversense and which is Dexcom. They are quite close…equally accurate according to me. But not always…

Jan. 15 plot with a few issues. One issue is both CGM’s can be thrown off by bad calibrations. That is apparently what happened here, with the Eversense about 10% higher than fingersticks and the Dexcom a little lower. But the big picture is, both CGM’s caught the trends and especially the lows. One thing I discovered is the G5 gets a little jumpy and spotty when I play hockey, which is not conducive to glancing at the receiver and getting a reliable BG…but the Eversense was not. While wearing the Eversense, the vibratory alerts on my arm never let me down once. That feature is still the most useful to me.

Anyway, if anybody has questions about the Eversense I’d be glad to answer them.

3 Likes

Thanks John, this is really helpful information. And while the Eversense is probably too much commitment for some, it is great that you are willing to try and that it helps you live that unlimited life as a hockey player.

2 Likes

If you meant Dremel tool, it might be further informative to look up the reason that Gary in Ohio and other techie hacker types deserve the money they charge to do that job:
< Amazon.com>

1 Like

I think I would have succeeded on my 2nd one, I ruined the 1st one with the soldering iron, however, luckily the libre does not need that nonsense and is cheaper because my insurance deduction is currently $25oo. A yearly libre cost is roughly $875 plus a one time miaomiao2 purchase of $200, and I still found the eversense to be the mist accurate, Dexcom 2nd, libre 3rd, but close enough

1 Like

@John58, I know 2 years has passed since your original post on the Eversense CGM system, but if you’re still using the system, I’d love your thoughts on it after all this time. The system just popped up on my FB feed and I thought of you, and this post from all that time ago.

2 Likes

No, I went back to Dexcom after a 6 month trial of Eversense. There were too many roadblocks in my way to continue with Eversense at the time, notably insurance coverage. If they can get the 180 day sensor approved by FDA I will make a push to get back on Eversense.

2 Likes

i also went back to the dexcom g6, however, the Eversense is still the most accurate I’ve tried, but i wanted to warn a little about the process…the insertion was not a problem at all, and senseonics had at least 1 representative there(3 at one removal), although they were not allowed to actually perform or remove the sensor at the time…the issue i had was mostly with the removal…the body kind of grows around it, and it seemed like my dr needed an assistant to grab the sensor and then cut around the skin…they would sometimes scalpel, then lose the sensor, or try to hold it and cut at the same time, etc…i hate to say it, but for liam, he probably would love it…if a sparring partner ripped it off, he could easily just stick it back on…i was able to make it work with xdrip and nightscout and the watch, but it was time consuming…i would definitely determine the costs of the unit as well as insurance coverage on insertion and removal… in 2018, it was a mess, my dr had extra units because some insurance companies would fund the product, but not the operations, etc, and i would definitely wait for the 1 year or 6 month sensor…the 3 month is way too short, and im pretty sure the 6 month approval is around the corner…

3 Likes