Senseonics 90-day implantable CGM: would you use it?

The very interesting link that @Bradford provided in his thread on the new Omnipod system mentioned, in its notes, an upcoming 90-day implantable CGM made by Senseonics:

http://ous.eversensediabetes.com/products/

Diabetes views has a better explanation of how the system works.

The insertion needs to be done by a doctor every time. I am wondering if we would even consider this, in particular when I think of the number of times an insertion does not work well with us. What do you think?

No, I wouldn’t use it. I don’t want artificial things to be implanted under my skin. I don’t like the idea and I’m somewhat scared of it. In addition I’m not sure what problem it is trying to solve. Having to go to the doctor every 90 days for the removal and insertion of the new sensor doesn’t sound like an improvement to me.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t use this version but if they could extend the life to once every six months and the reliability of the sensor was incredibly high, it would be a huge benefit. Sensor changes are one of the most taxing elements of D-care right now for us, and having something that is internal would probably make Samson feel more comfortable too as he gets older and interacts more with peers.

3 Likes

Only if it gave more accurate (and timely) readings.

3 Likes

I agree with you completely. i tried the dexcom sensors for just over a year. it was miserable for me. i could barely get 3 days out of mine and i found myself having to stick in a new one (a very tedious and , for me, painful experience) then i would spend at least 1/2 hour on the phone with Dex customer service to have the failed sensor replaced. in fact, the ONLY thing i liked about the dex was the kind and patient help of their customer service employees . :blush:

if i had the choice of an implantable sensor that only needed to be changed once a month, and it were conveniently under the skin, i would deffinately go for it so long as it were accurate. the dexcom made me nuts. i would rather do 20 finger sticks a day than deal with that darned sensor :wink:

2 Likes

No. I like the libre.

2 Likes

September 12, 2017
Senseonics Holdings, Inc. (NYSE-MKT-SENS) today announced it has received CE Mark approval for the Eversense® XL Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) System. The Eversense XL System includes an extended life implanted glucose sensor lasting up to 180 days, a removable discreet smart transmitter, and a mobile app for display of real-time glucose readings. The Eversense XL System provides the world’s longest-lasting sensor, compared to the frequent weekly sensor insertions required by other CGM systems.

Eversense XL is indicated for continually measuring interstitial fluid glucose levels in adults and to be used as an adjunctive device to complement information obtained from standard home blood glucose meters.

Senseonics Announces CE Mark Approval for Eversense® XL CGM System

2 Likes

I suppose it would depend on # of required calibrations and accuracy.

1 Like

I am starting to get interested… but will stick with Dexcom for now (pun intended).

1 Like

I don’t see the advantage of this, except maybe for small children.

The transmitter that attaches to the arm is quite a bit larger than the Dexcom transmitter/sensor combination, and it has to be worn adjacent to where the sensor is embedded. So the upper arm is the only option.

As far as the transmitter vibrating, my smart watch does the same thing when an alert is triggered.

The only unknown here in Sensionic’s favor is if it has much greater accuracy than the Dexcom. But I don’t think that is likely.

2 Likes

There is about zero chance I would embed something in my kids unless it was a life or death situation.

I might always change my mind but I suspect by the time I were to change my mind, my kids would all be adults.

2 Likes

Snake Plissken! Escape from New York!

3 Likes

It may be interesting for people working in a environment where often the freestyle libre sensor get lost because of mechanic events like ruching the door.
I, for myself, are a great fan of the freestyle libre and I don’t see that it would be better for me to have a implant.

3 Likes

Maybe the next generation… I do have some adhesive issues with the Dexcom (lol dexcom autocorrected to sexy) after the first week but it doesn’t look like that would me much help since the outer thing is taped on. I certainly don’t like sensor changes but I can deal with them every other week. Arm is my location anyway so that’s a nonissue. I don’t use the receiver anyway so another nonissue. I’d want the implant to go direct to phone and be a accurate for 3months without the outside arm piece. That would make it worth it.

Dexcom changes aren’t the fav for my thirteen year old but have smoothed out to a pretty minor process using a few tricks, including using a reproducible scientific series of steps to get the least painful insertion (he marks the site, I place and he gives feedback on how it was and we do tweaks), teaching him relaxation/breathing to suppress the “ouch” response (Thanks, natural childbirth), and milking the sensor for 2 weeks. We get a second week most times even though he’s an athlete if we use grif grips and skin tac. With all those factors, I don’t think we’d go for the drama of 3 month insertion procedures unless there was a huge performance difference and I KNOW he would not be a fan of upper arm placement – won’t even wear his pod there. But I can imagine how dexcom insertions would be much more of a challenge with a kid who’s too young to cooperate with the process. I am hoping for an improved more ergonomic dexcom inserter soon.

With the G6. 2018 launch. Not compatible with the G4 or G5.

3 Likes

That makes me nervous. Wondering if they will remove some of the things people like, such as being able to restart the same sensor.

The Dex CEO very specifically (in some talk maybe an earnings call - can’t remember where/when) said that for the G6 he would not be messing with that ability to restart and go longer than the FDA 10 day wear. (The G6 sensor is expected to be FDA approved for 10 days.)

However, the manual for the G5x said the transmitter can not be removed and then reattached to the sensor. My assumption is this will hold true for the G6 (ie - not being able to remove the transmitter from a functional sensor).

(The G5x was pulled and will not be released. Basically the Medicare distribution left no room for another product distribution.)

I am not confident the CEO always gets all the technical details correct ('cause after all - he is only a CEO) but I don’t think he is prone to intentional falsehoods. On this, I believe him that the G6 sensor will be able to be restarted so as to be able to wear the same physical G6 sensor longer than the FDA approved 10 days.

2 Likes

For me, better accuracy and quicker pickup of changes in BG would be the only reason to switch. After all these years of manually using needles and even a lot of manual lancing for BG tests, a fancy insertion device doesn’t mean much to me. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Agreed. For new Dexcom users however, the change of the the insertion device will be (IMHO) a big deal.

The G6 will be more accurate with a better MARD than the G5. Dexcom will be asking for FDA approval for the G6 to be part of an automatic insulin dosing system (whatever you want to call it). So, the G6 would have the approval for the manual bolus just as the G5 does now and in addition, automated bolus.

The Tandem Hybrid Closed Loop will require the Dexcom G6 to function.

For us, the biggest thing would be the ability to use the Tandem Hybrid Closed Loop. So, it is possible we might stick with the G5 until Tandem is ready with their HCL update at which point we would have to switch to the G6.

2 Likes