90-day implantable CGM sensor by Senseonics

has anyone heard about the very small implantable sensor my Libre, (but NOT by Abbot) that is undergoing tests in the EUK now that is waiting approval from the FDA?
it gets implanted for 90 days, then is down loaded by endo staff. it will be able to be used as a personal sensor, but very different than the dexcom.

it does sound dreamy to me, but there are a lot of glitches (i believe) that are still being ironed out.

2 Likes

@daisymae, do you have a link to share?

I am aware of another 90-day sensor (“EverSense”) that is implantable, by start-up Senseonics, that is undergoing trial:

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/implantable-eversense-cgm-sensor-safe-and-accurate-for-90-days-320253/

The Senseonics site is here: http://www.senseonics.com/. They also have a separate site for the technology: https://eversensediabetes.com/

The sensor appears solid, based on this research study: Multisite Study of an Implanted Continuous Glucose Sensor Over 90 Days in Patients With Diabetes Mellitus - PubMed

I just realized it is already approved in some parts of Scandinavia: http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/new-implantable-cgm-receives-approval/. I am curious if anyone has heard any report of its use?

I think the approval is good for the EU as a whole:

This article also says they have a trial under reviews by the FDA as well.

DiabetesViews has some illustrations on use.

Mary, i think you’re right about the company, EverSense. i was so over-whelmed with gratitude meeting with this absolutely incredible new endo, that i wasn’t paying enough attention to remember the company’s name. we were very busy making disparaging comments about ABOTT’S Libre and their company’s lousy customer service.

2 Likes

What’s the point of a 90day sensor that only you and your doctor can see every 90 days ? So he can criticize your control for the last 90 days I guess - the whole breakthrough of a cgm is that the user gets to self manage their blood sugar and reduce the finger testing - sounds like a dud idea to me

My understanding is external device that reads the sensor and sends to your phone - a lot like the G5 transmitter.

That would be better but i’m sure US pharmaceuticals will be allowed to charge the same as 1 transmitter and 12 sensors so economically there is no benefit.

I wonder if it senses in the same manner as a standard CGM, does it have the same time lag, does it require periodic calibrations.

Ha! :rofl: Funny!

1 Like

It looks like the transmitter type thing is adhesive backed. There’s no way my skin would tolerate an adhesive backed device in the exact same spot for 90 days at a time.

1 Like

i was under the impression that it was inserted under the skin and that it was very very small and that you could scan it whenever you wanted to check your BG. maybe i am totally off base, but who the heck would make a sensor that didn’t help you w/ info? what would be the point? you might as well continue to do finger sticks :wink:

Three components:
Sensor
Transmitter
Application

1. Sensor
    Unlike other glucose sensors, the Eversense Sensor is intended to be implanted subcutaneously in the upper arm. No part of the sensor sticks through the skin surface.
    Encased in a biocompatible material, the sensor utilizes a patented fluorescent, glucose indicating polymer technology to measure glucose in the interstitial fluid. The measurement is then relayed to the smart transmitter. The measurement and display of glucose values is done automatically, without the need for user intervention.

2. Transmitter
    The Eversense Smart Transmitter is worn over your sensor and wirelessly powers it to activate the transfer of glucose measurements. The smart transmitter receives glucose data from the sensor and calculates the glucose value. The glucose value is then sent by the smart transmitter via Bluetooth to the Eversense Mobile App.

3. Application
    The Eversense app runs on a compatible mobile device to receive and display the sensor glucose data from the Eversense Smart Transmitter.
    It provides easy access to real-time glucose measurements and eliminates the need to carry a separate receiver device.
    In addition to seeing your current glucose value every 5 minutes, the app also displays where your glucose is headed and how fast, so you can take action confidently.

2 Likes

And you can go hiking with it - but I am not sure about swimming

Actually you may be able to go swimming with the IP67 rating.

This is starting to look better to me when I look at the website, but still not too sure about it.

Features & Functions
IP67 Water-resistance rating
Powers sensor and calculates glucose readings
Only CGM with removable smart transmitter — no sensor wasted when smart transmitter is removed
Only CGM that provides on-body vibe alerts when low or high, even when mobile device is not nearby
Rechargeable battery, 1 year limited warranty
Bluetooth LE communication
Automatically receives readings every 5 minutes whether or not you have your mobile device

I clicked on the “Outside the US” button on the website and there is a wealth of information there.

https://ous.eversensediabetes.com/testimonials/

All the manuals are in German - Can someone who reads German (@ClaudnDaye ? @Boerenkool ?) find out:

1. How long is the time lag between capillary blood and the sensor measurements?

EDIT: Here is some info courtesy of google translate:

The Smart Transmitter is applied using an adhesive patch of your skin, which is renewed daily. If you are concerned about possible allergic reactions, contact your doctor before use
Doctor. Dispose of the adhesive patch after 24 hours of use

Your Smart Transmitter is up to one Depth of 1 meter (3.2 feet) for a maximum of 30 minutes water resistant (IP67).

https://ous.eversensediabetes.com/resources/

Das CGM-System misst die Glukose in der GewebsflĂŒssigkeit (Interstitial Fluid, ISF) zwischen den Körperzellen. [
] Der Glukosespiegel in der ISF liegt um mehrere Minuten hinter dem Glukosespiegel im Blut zurĂŒck

They don’t give any specifics. It says that the glucose levels in the interstitial fluid lag ‘several minutes’ behind blood glucose levels.

EDIT: There are English manuals; you can find them under ‘United Kingdom’.

1 Like

Approved.

In a unanimous 8 - 0 vote, the FDA’s Clinical Chemistry and Clinical Toxicology Devices Panel recommends approval for Senseonics’ Eversense CGM system, designed to provide continuous blood sugar levels for 90 days.

1 Like

I was speaking with the N.A. VP of Sales a month ago, and got to play with all the pieces including the app. I am definitely looking forward to seeing what the initial costs will be. The app is strictly smartphone based, the transmitter is rechargeable (they claim 4-7 days real life usage between charges) and the sensor is once every 90 days. There is an adhesive patch as mentioned on this thread previously, that goes over the insertion site between the sensor and transmitter. It is changeable throughout the 90 day period. The app appeared to have similar features to Dexcom and MySugr (if they were one app) including a food log. This is definitely a CGM, not a sensor you wave a wand over to get readings. The app on your smartphone will notify you (and has predictive capabilities) of an impending Hypo/Hyper.

3 Likes

Nice !!!

There was a post about this on tudiabetes with a video that showed the insertion procedure. It looks absolutely awful. Maybe they’ve perfected it since I saw this, but the video made me sick to my stomach.

The Dexcom works well enough for me that I’d rather stick with that.

2 Likes