FDA approves new CGM that can be worn for a full year

Eversense 365 CGM system cleared by FDA for people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes aged 18 years and older:

TLDR- It has a sensor that rests under the skin and a silicone-based adhesive that can be changed daily. The removable transmitter can be taken on and off without wasting a sensor or adding a warm up period and on-body vibration alerts keep patients notified even when their mobile phone is out of sight. U.S. launch anticipated in the fourth quarter of 2024.

I don’t know how they can get a sensor to last that long without fouling or degradation, or how the skin at that site is going to handle adhesive in the sample place for a full year, but more options are generally a good thing.

7 Likes

My 2019 sensor still recognizes the reader, although the old sensors had strict software that prohibited readings after the expiration…i only tried 2 of the 90 day sensors, but i can honestly say they were far more accurate than libre or g4,5,6,7 as far as glucose low readings and recoveries. I was not a fan of the eversense software, and spent a little time discovering how to make it work with better software, although, i also read they were trying to work with some pump companies…otherwise you’re stuck with the unapproved looping versions…in 2019 they already were trying the 180 day sensors with the 365 in mind…the insertion and removal is a bit of a hassle but once a year is definitely fine and better than every 10 or 14 days

1 Like

What is the up-side of the year long sensor? Is no warm-up the big selling point there?

The on-body alerts are only a good feature if you can disable them when you want! Otherwise I think that’s a big negative!

2 Likes

Yikes, I hope it’s a comfortable site. I sometimes can’t make it to the full 10 days without it bothering me so much I have to change it early. Seems unhealthy to have something inside and adhesive outside the skin so long!

2 Likes

I’d probably give this a chance if it could be used with the likes of Loop, Trio, iAPS, etc. on an iPhone. Last I checked it wasn’t, though their site says it can report to Apple Health which makes me think it could be made to work. Does anyone know?

2 Likes

As long as the apple looping software can pull the cgm data from The eversense now apple app, it should be an option…they have apps to make it work with xdrip, but that’s more android…i guess the major benefit is never having to worry about the cannula falling out for a year which is nice. The rechargeable battery lasts for one year, and i had one fail and received a replacement in a few days, so they were really fast to help. The daily adhesive patches worked great, and the low glucose vibrate alert which was independent from your phone was also nice. The accuracy was the greatest difference in my experience, the normal lag from glucometer to cgm was virtually non existent for the eversense

5 Likes

Unfortunately, the transmitter needs to be removed and charged every day. That’s a dealbreaker for me.

6 Likes

@RogerType1 I thought the Eversense still operated on measuring the interstitial tissue glucose, so don’t understand how it can be better than other similar measurements. Can you explain it?

@Cevans54 I hadn’t thought about the transmitter (external) portion being recharged daily. If that’s true, it’s much less inviting, but I also question it, seems like the external transmitter would have better battery life than a 10-day Dexcom. How is that possible with current battery tech?

2 Likes

Its easier to see pictures of the sensor to understand, but as a quick explanation, the sensor is surrounded inside the interstitial fluid and reads the differences using light, the external device recharges in 10-15 minutes and is recommended to charge during your shower since you have to change the adhesive…its actually very quick and easy to reapply…most of the time my calibrations were the same as the readings so im not sure why they are still calibrating twice a day…to answer @Cevans54 's question the external receiver is small and rechargeable and is designed to last at least one year…closer to a phone battery instead of a disposable g6 or g7 battery

3 Likes

Wow. Definitely worth considering. Is there a video somewhere showing the daily routine? Thanks!

1 Like

If you go to their website, they have pictures and explanations, as well as the advertisements that are pretty compelling. They have teams that will help to have your insurance benefits help with the costs. Many insurance companies will pay for the insertion and removal surgeries, but the actual cost of the sensor, external device, charger, might still be durable medical which usually means its too much…currently my dexcom or libre sensors as well as my omnipods are prescriptions, so i avoid durable medical ridiculousness, but unfortunately eversense might still be durable medical

3 Likes

@Cevans54 While the most likely is the Eversense website, if you go to TCOYD.org website, they have a video showing the Eversense insertion into I think Dr Edelman’s arm and I think one of using the external transmitter. Just do a search for Eversense once on their site and it will come up with all sorts of reviews and the video.

2 Likes

My Endo does these and he said wait for the one year. He does insertions, but the thing that always kept me away from the least the six month version was the twice daily calibration or it shuts off and you have to do it the same time of day every day with no fun factor so if you chose eight and eight, for example you have to do it at eight and eight every day, even on weekends or shut off until you do I also did not like that you have to charge it every day seems more of a pain than even Dexcom. I can’t remember the last time I’ve done a fingerstick.

I’ve heard at least that this new one is supposed to be less calibration. If they could just get it working with Trio, I might consider it other thing to think about is that it is surgically implanted. It will leave scar tissue and prone scar tissue that may never heal, it’s on the arm and only on the arm. Sorry for any typos I have dictated this.

7 Likes

I’ve had 2 90 day ever sense sensors, and am currently in the process for the 365. My 90 day sensors still recognize the battery, so I have a feeling they were simply waiting for approval. The insertion and removal are serious and take about a week to heal give or take. The scar is maybe an inch, but for me a one year is worth it. The calibrations are 4 the first day, then daily for 2 weeks, then weekly, give or take according to what the rep told me because I was trying to look it up after I spoke to her and couldn’t find any concrete answers on the 365…worse case scenario if you lie, it still works, and you’ll just have to calibrate later…in my experience it was a lot more accurate and quicker to recover from lows…dexcom and libre are close to 15-20 minutes in my personal experience and I have eaten boxes of cereal in the past, then chased the highs with insulin, but I never minded the calibrations because of the accuracy. I am currently using the g7 and have not tried the libre 3 yet, so it may be a little quicker now, but the ever sense was seriously fast in 2018 when I originally tried it.

1 Like