Update on Eversense

4 Likes

Interesting, hopefully they can quickly get to a 180 day or 360 day sensor where this tech would be palatable for more people.

2 Likes

“A lifesaving financial bolus”…I like the writer’s style!

3 Likes

I saw an article about this back in August…Ascensia’s parent company, PHC Holdings Corporation (KKR), bought a large chunk of secured convertible notes ($35M) with an option for an additional $15M once the 180 day sensor is approved by the FDA. As part of the deal they are submitting their 180 day sensor to the FDA in Q3 2020.

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17966282-senseonics-holdings-inc-reports-second-quarter-2020-financial-results

3 Likes

I feel like the idea of a 6-month sensor is really appealing. but then I think of how often Samson has “Sensor error” with Dexcom and it’s hard to imagine Eversense is making use of radically better technology. I can imagine situations where an implanted sensor just doesn’t work, and then instead of just swapping it out you have to insert another one. Seems like a drag.
I hope others are willing to be guinea pigs though to see, so that hopefully one day there’s a sensor that’s implantable that’s super super reliable.

2 Likes

I personally am not a fan of the implanted sensors, especially for youngsters because of the drawback of removal. While insertion should be a breeze, I have seen explants go poorly (not explants of glucose sensors, just explants of implantable devices in general), and the longer it is implanted the worse the explant stands to be. I hold out hope for either a biodegradeable implant that doesn’t require explant or the more likely solution will be through the skin. But I do like that there are choices and new technology out there.

4 Likes

I do remember reading either here or on another site with a similar name about user’s first hand impressions of the Eversense. Their take was that the first 7-10 days are wonky (I’m simplifying) but the remaining 80 days were relatively rock solid.

I personally like the idea of a rechargeable transmitter to eliminate waste.

1 Like

Yep I tried Eversense, two 90 day sensors. For the second sensor, I presoaked it to avoid the bad readings in the first 10 +/- days. Got Sensor #2 inserted 10 days before the first sensor ran out. Unfortunately I dislodged it playing hockey and had to replace that sensor. So I actually used 3 sensors over about 6 months. They are pretty unreliable until the insertion site heals over.

Overall I liked Eversense, found it quite accurate (Dexcom and Libre are also both adequately accurate for me). Insertion/removal will be a hassle for some. I’m retired so it was pretty easy to work those into my schedule, but others might not like the need for a closely timed dr. appointment. The 180/360 day sensors will hopefully make Eversense more attractive as an option for some.

Some people will be bothered by a few issues with Eversense. The transmitter must be recharged daily. Only takes 10-15 minutes but a busy person might cringe at that. It also is pretty strict about regular twice daily calibrations. Calibrating while your BG is steeply rising or falling will throw it off, just like Dexcom G5. The sensor insertion/removal will leave a scar.

4 Likes

i’ll take it…be a human guinea pig… anything to get it out there fast What a huge improvement over current options this 50+yrs of T1D says :smiley:

4 Likes