Senseonics 90-day implantable CGM: would you use it?

I can imagine if you’ve been doing it yourself a long time, you probably have the technique down just right.For us, a better inserter would mean more Independence…my 13 yo is very independent with pump placement and needles/pens when he had those but does not like to place the G5 himself and I find it requires a very steady pair of hands to stabilize it against the skin and not rock the introducer needle while it’s being retracted and cause pain - I’m a doc so used to poking people with stuff and it took me awhile, he still doesn’t like my husband to do it due to shakier hands. Hopefully a more ergonomic version will fix that and let kids do it themselves sooner.

1 Like

What does “ruching the door” mean? Do you mean catching it against a door and ripping it off?

As for me . . . no thanks on an implant with this short of a life. Also, you need to attach a “transmitter” to your arm which looks kind of like an OmniPod and thus bigger than my G5 transmitter.

Sensesonics started out as a 30 day implant and has now moved to 90 days and has it even hit the market yet? My skepticism tells me this is DOA.

1 Like

Senseonics is real. It is approved for 180 days in Europe.
It was expected to be approved for 90 days in the US before the end of the year but the rumor is the company Senseonics hosed up something with the filing or the discussion with the FDA or something. Ultimately nothing that is likely to impact the approval but certainly did delay it.
My best guess is a Q1 or possibly Q2 approval for 90 days in the US for Senseonics. One would assume they would immediately refile for the 180 day.

Senseonics has a distribution agreement with Roche as well as an agreement with TypeZero.
Roche actually owns about 20% of Senseonics.

(I still wouldn’t put it in my daughter. If she wants it - she would have to choose it for herself after she turned 18.)

2 Likes

Yes. That’s what I mran.

1 Like

You could double the width of the needle and add an alcohol bath to the process if you would just lower the price!?!?!? I don’t want a fancy new insertion device, I want something I can afford.(referring to the Dex 6)

3 Likes

The lowest cost you can achieve is with xDrip+. Sensors ( even G6) can last 14 days to three weeks, transmitters last six months. Once got Dexcom supplies to last me until Q3 2019 . I have 2 transmitters and 24 sensors

1 Like

Figured I’d revive the old thread since Eversense is in the news lately…I am considering getting one in early December and doing my research on coverage, co pays etc.

One interesting tidbit I found on Eversense web site states the following:
Only CGM that provides on-body vibe alerts when low or high, even when mobile device is not nearby

That feature really excites me for ice hockey as well as other times when I get busy/active and don’t want to (or forget to) carry my iPhone around with me!! With Libre, I have found that scanning my arm through my pads basically does not work so I am “cgm-less” during games. With Dexcom G5, I wear the Dex receiver around my belly under my pads and can receive alarms.

The Eversense marketing department seems to say that this feature alone will be a god send for my lifestyle. Will keep everybody posted!

1 Like

Yes, as long as it is same and does not cause an immune response. Looking forward @SteA’s results as he said he plans to try it out!:slight_smile:

Btw, I use Dexcom, xDrip+ w/ a Sony Smartwatch as the dexcom collector which works independent of the phone. You could give the watch a try. It does require an Android phone though, and Android Wear smartwatch. I use the watch during all my exercise activities and do not have to have a phone on me. All data is synced on reconnect.

2 Likes

That does sound pretty cool.

1 Like

I am just waiting for dates to get the Eversense, my Diabetes team have a training day in October, so it should be fairly soon after that…

3 Likes

@SteA - If you are in the UK does that mean you are getting the 180-day version?

Yes, I should be, although I am still waiting for the details to be confirmed!

I am seriously considering the Eversense, hopefully starting in mid November. Right now, I am trying to work with my insurance company and Byram to inform me of my co pay costs for Eversense. I have confirmed that Eversense will be covered by my insurance as DME. My endo is working with the Eversense reps to find a referral clinic for the install and training (Eversense reportedly wants about 6-10 patients to schedule the installs and my endo only has 3 so far).

For me, this will boil down to a dollars and sense decision. I am on Dexcom G5 right now but my stockpiled supplies run out soon, probably late November. When I run out I will probably switch to either Eversense or Dexcom G6. Compared to Dexcom, I would be willing to pay a small amount extra for the Eversense on an annual basis because I like the vibrating alarm feature without using a receiver or phone. However if the extra out of pocket cost for Eversense is more than about $300 per year compared to Dexcom I will probably not use Eversense at this time.

1 Like

Interesting. Senseonics has only reported two insurance companies in New Jersey that are covering this. So far. Are you with one of those or has the insurance coverage actually increased but just not yet been widely reported?

Also I would be very interested to know how this is considered to be DME?

In any event if you do go with the Senseonics Eversense, it would be quite interesting to hear your thoughts and feedback.

My insurer is based in Oregon but I am in WA. I have nicknamed them RDI (Rinky Dink Insurance) based on some of their policies. (it took me a year to win an appeal to get Dexcom covered). I don’t know how they justify classifying CGM’s as DME but all CGM’s are with them, even Libre.

If you’re trying for coverage with your insurance, best bet is contact Eversense via their web site. They sent me documents that I submitted to RDI directly (I already had contacts there from my Dexcom appeal a few years ago) and Eversense independently has sales reps that confirm coverage with the insurers. We got confirmation that it will be covered as DME via both routes of contact.

1 Like

Interesting. I guess Senseonics is not talking about the little insurance wins they get but holding out (in terms of News Releases) for bigger wins and probably quarterly updates or something like that.

Good Luck with it. More choices are always good.

1 Like

:laughing:

If they are small - they may be nimble…

2 Likes

My guess is they are trying to get enough individual patients covered with each insurance company, then try and negotiate with the insurer. That way they have some leverage.

I am still trying to sort things out regarding Eversense. I heard back from Byram that my insurer will cover as DME and my cost (20% copay) for Eversense will be $255.00 every 3 months for a new implantable sensor. Transmitter copay would be about $150.00. This is a little higher than my copay cost for Dexcom G5 sensors (maybe a little lower for transmitters) if I can average 2 weeks per G5 sensor, 6 sensors per 90 days. Still trying to sort out the initial cost and whether there is an added charge for each insertion at my endo’s office, etc.

Question for anybody using the Eversense: Is the 90 day sensor life a hard shutdown or is there a way to grab a few extra days?

1 Like

Anyone still considering the EVERSENSE CGM?