Trying the Eversense implanted CGM

The rep and the surgeon were freaking out for a little while because they couldn’t get any bars at all for maybe 20 minutes… the surgeon kept checking the insertion device…at first I figured I received the first defective one, but they finally got 2 bars…scared me a little at first, but they did the same thing as your 40 day issue, force close, then erase. And start over…I do recommend you try the xdrip app…it works with the eversense app, and the watch is a huge improvement

5 Likes

Some folks here talk about the insertion done by an ENDO and other folks say SURGEON. I would have significant reservations about my endo taking a scalpel and inserting things under my skin. I think a lot of people having the initials MD/DO after their name gives them the qualifications to do any procedure they deem “minor,” even when it’s not their specialty.
As a savy consumer, while the mechanic at the drive thru lube and oil shop might tell me he could rebuild my transmission, it doesn’t mean I would let him.

Many physician types will be granted privileges to implant these would be my guess. They will need to show their hospital some proof of competence, but in cardiology for instance EP’s are trained in their fellowship to do pacemaker and ICD implants. That is a much more invasive surgery than the Eversense sensor. When it comes to implanted loop monitors which are similar to these, many cardiologists are allowed to do it since it is such a minor procedure and only involves subcutaneous access. The insertion is actually the easy part, the removal will be the issue. Whether or not you allow an Endo, or other non-surgeon to implant/explant is of course up to you, but many people may struggle to find a surgeon willing to do this since the profit is so low.

2 Likes

My fnp was hesitant, so I went to another fnp who did 6 other implantations, however, mine was probably a little tougher because she wanted to avoid the libre scarring on the triceps, and its actually on the side of my arm. The eversense rep is trained to do the implant and has to be present for the 1st three implants prior to certification… its a rather shallow implant also. Because they were both there u said surgeon, because she did all the work, but technically she is an fnp

2 Likes

My regular endo was not certified so she referred me to another. He did fine…seems like the insertion was pretty straightforward due to the shallow depth.

1 Like

Figured it’s time for a quick update. Trying to decide if I will get the second discounted Eversense sensor in late June or give it a rest and go back to Dexcom G5. The Eversense has delivered satisfactory accuracy and reliability during day to day life and the vibratory alerts when iPhone is not in range have been helpful for me. However, I am developing a pattern of consistently missing highs after I play hockey. After the first two missed highs I theorized that maybe dehydration was causing Eversense to read lower than actual BG so I drank an ocean of water tonight but still missed a fast developing high BG that peaked about 2 hours after I finished.

Tonight I missed a high that I could have easily corrected. At 11:00 when I noticed the high I had G5 telling me I was way higher than actual and Eversense telling me I was much lower.
This is the third time this has happened and I’m kicking myself for relying on it when experience should have told me I was rising faster than Eversense reported. So the quandary is: spend the extra couple hundred $$ to go back on G5 or keep plugging away with Eversense despite this one known flaw that I will need to adjust to? Or maybe the next sensor will have different habits? Of note, right now as I head for bed the Eversense, Contour Next and G5 are all agreeing with each other close enough for my use, within about 5% of BG 140.

5 Likes

So the eversense seems to miss highs when you’re rising, but do you think it misses lows as well if you’re falling?

Thanks for the updates. It’s definitely interesting to read

3 Likes

I’m only on my 1st week with the eversense, but I think it is great and am very happy with the accuracy. Seems like you are eating prior to hockey, and it may not be needed, or maybe a little less. If you wanted to have more accurate readings during meals, you could recalibrate, however, it is still not recommended because it will affect the algorithm predictions… remember the Dexcom is guessing High and probably because you calibrated when you were rising before… with eversense, if you look up xdrip integration, you’ll see it’ll work with a modified eversense app, Esel app, and xdrip which I prefer simply because I wanted to see glucose levels on my ticwatch… on xdrip you can also input carbs and insulin, and it will give you s predicted range which I think is the best feature ever.

1 Like

So far Eversense seems fine for catching lows. I’ve bounced around in the 50-70 range a lot the past month and although it’s not spot on with an exact BG reading it is close enough for me to catch the low and correct, and the dropping trend is obvious. The vibratory arm alert for a low reminds me of SOS in Morse code (…_ _ _ …) and is hard to ignore.

The only problem I’ve had are with some (but not all) post hockey rising BG’s. Dexcom seems to catch them quicker and allows me to correct with a bolus but Eversense seems sort of clueless to catch that quick rise.

The only downside to Eversense for me so far has been the algorithm which seems (I am not a tech guy) to be highly dependent on perfect calibrations every time. Dexcom G5 seems more flexible on calibrations. As pointed out by @RogerType1 it might be possible to be more diligent with calibrations and/ or use xDrip to achieve better accuracy…but unfortunately my routine and lifestyle doesn’t allow that. The Eversense demands 2 daily calibrations, 8 to 14 hours apart. It’s not always possible to be on a perfect flatline when Eversense wants a calibration but I am usually pretty close to flat.

2 Likes

I prefer xdrip because I am used to it, and did a lot of customizations with alarms using movie MP3s which is not allowed on the eversense app, and another issue is the watch

, however, I still am a fan of the eversense and if I were you, I would set my predictions up with the high set at 160 for starters… at least then it will vibrate and you can decide from there… I also think its odd to rise during hockey… I always drop during activities

3 Likes

Part of my concern with the Eversence is the relatively large wound it leaves (and I say “relatively large” when I am comparing it to the non implantable CGMs). We obviously know that illness and infection affect BS. Generally we think of infections presenting clinically (discernable to the naked eye and possibly requiring treatment) as something that raises BS throughout the entire bloodstream. Now we are creating an opening in the skin which has to undergo healing, and at the same time is using fluid from that specific area to measure glucose levels.
I think we can safely assume an infection in that spot, and while it likely won’t present clinically, it is likely that there’s a subclinical infection. At the very least, there’s trauma to the tissues and an immune response generated.
I am not confident we know enough about the immune response and healing process’ minute effects on very localized BS to justify the significance in increased tissue trauma relative to the accuracy of the localized results.
I also don’t feel like this is potential phenom exclusive to implantable CGMs. I think the subclinical infection factor and immune responses by individuals explain why some people have great accuracy with CGMs and others don’t or why sometimes CGM sensors seem to be inaccurate when the last one worked fine. Unfortunately, this is a topic that has had little study, but I hope a topic that will get more study as the CGM technology becomes even more prevalent, and we search for explanations about CGM inaccuracies.

I do know that because of subclinical infections, immune responses, and the related accuracy effects, I am much more precise about aseptic technique for my CGM than anything else I stick in my body.

2 Likes

The implantable sensor is made up of biocompatible materials such as homopolymer polymethylmethacrylate, hydroxyethylmethacrylate-based hydrogel, platinum, silicone, and epoxy 301-2. It measures 18.3mm in length and 3.5mm in diameter and is sterilised by ethylene oxide.

The sensor features a silicone elution ring containing a small amount of an anti-inflammatory drug called dexamethasone acetate. When the sensor comes in contact with the interstitial fluids, the ring releases a small amount of the drug, which helps in reducing the inflammatory response of the body against the implanted sensor.

I had much larger scars from the Dexcom and libre. During the winter (northern us), they would last maybe 5 it 6 days, the companies would replace them, but it was a hassle.

I am very impressed with the eversense so far, the only issue so far is the lack of integrated apps and pumps. I was able to sync it with xdrip, but it still needs the eversense app, Esel app, nsclient app, nightscout, etc…the Alexa.add on was worth all the hassle, plus it vibrates for highs and lows without the phone which is great. I think once eversense has the 1 year sensor approved, Dexcom will suddenly figure out how to have a replaceable battery in their transmitters, and insurance companies will consider switching… children approval would also help.

3 Likes

The way I look at it is one Eversense wound every 90 (or 180) days reduces my infection risk versus a fresh G5 sensor wound for each sensor every 1-2.5 weeks.

3 Likes

Te other night I got woken by my G5 dexcom telling me I was low. When I checked my sugar. It was 300. How does that happen. I don’t trust when out of range. It’s usually off. But that. Being completely wrong. Never happened. Ever

Try to search here for compression lows…it has to do with sleeping on the sensor… probably reading blood instead of interstitial fluid

2 Likes

Ahhh. Ok. Makes sense. Thank you! At least there is a reason. Would that happen w the under the skin one?? I don’t think I’d ever tolerate putting that in and out. Your skin will look like Swiss cheese in a year from the scarring

It could happen with Eversense, although I don’t think we have enough user experience to say so. For my son, putting them on the back of the arms, we almost never have compression lows, but when they were on his stomach we had more. With that said, compression lows only happen once every few weeks for us.

When on back of my arm I always. Seem to rip em off. I put on left and right top of butt cheek … so yes. Compression can be an issue with that

1 Like

I’m on the eversense for about 20 days now, one of the nicest feature is being able to sleep on it without any compression lows. The sensor uses light to read the interstitial fluid, and I have a swiss cheese looking arm from the libre sensors, not eversense.

had to resize the pic, the red is a product of excessive data reduction

1 Like