Trying the Eversense implanted CGM

Quick update: I am on Day 12 with the Eversense and have found that accuracy and reliability of data have improved markedly starting about Day 9/10. I have only needed to do one extra calibration (on Day 10 at BG 166) and have now relied solely on twice daily calibrations. The plot of BG data no longer shows the scatter that was typical during the early days of use. Eversense seems to be tracking well with both the Contour Next and Dexcom G5. Will see how the next week or so goes.

I’m still fiddling with all the features available on the app and will post some highlights after I’ve tried all the features a few more times. I initially found it a little complex after coming from the Dexcom app…which might be a problem for some users. I have found that I appreciate the features (such as ability to log almost anything and add notes) but there was a learning curve that some users might not enjoy.

4 Likes

That is very good news. Seems to confirm the initial suspicions.

Sounds like it would be good to get the next implant done about 12 days before the old one expires so you have good numbers for those 12 days.

3 Likes

I like that idea…I could presoak sensor #2 in my arm for 12 days while still using sensor #1 for the full 90 days, then start sensor #2 on Day 90 or 91. I had been planning on the new insertion at Day 91 just to see if the Eversense actually dies at 90 days as advertised or whether it’s lifespan can be stretched out but that insertion can be done early. There is an initialization process right after the sensor is inserted that starts the 90 day clock, all I have to do is delay that initialization for 12 days.

1 Like

Based on how you phrased this, I assume that the Doc does the insert but it is then up to you to kick off the initialization? And whether you choose to initialize right at the time/day of insertion or not is up to you and nothing to do with the Doc who actually does the insert?

I think I can start off sensor 2 that way…but will check. For sensor 1, a trainer was there who started the initialization after the doc finished patching over the insertion site.

The only glitch I can see is the doc intends to remove sensor 1 from my left arm at the same appointment as inserting sensor 2 in my right arm. I might be stuck with two office visits to try the 12 day soak. Will have to see about the potential extra charges for that.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Doc is not even allowed to put a new sensor in before the old sensor is removed.

1 Like

I checked in with the Eversense CDE and she was fine with it as long as the doc is OK. Next will be Solara and see if they will be able to ship out the sensor kit 2+ weeks early. It might boil down to how much extra it costs to split the procedure like this. I paid $220 for the first insertion office visit,

2 Likes

Good question.

I was also wondering if the Eversense is prone to night time pressure lows (or sleeping on your arm, whenever you might be sleeping.)

1 Like

Hummm. My immediate and terrible initial reaction? “YouTube. Someone’s got to have a video on how to DIY remove that thing.” :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve not had a problem with night time pressure lows, The sensor/transmitter is on the back rear part of the upper arm…with he front of my bicep at 12:00 the transmitter is back at about 7:00.

As for the possibility of it reading high when dehydrated…Sunday night I experienced the opposite. Tjis was in the hour after playing hockey and I was not all the way rehydrated. The Eversense was showing about a 30 point rise followed by a 30 point drop over that hour but it turns out BG had climbed over a hundred over that hour and was still rising. It eventually caught up over the next hour. That is the only occurrence of that error I have had so far.

Still plugging away with my trial and (other than the missed high Sunday night) the accuracy seems good.

3 Likes

Quick update on the Eversense: all systems go, I have become a fan/booster of this CGM. Accuracy and reliability are fine…equal or better than Dexcom G5 for me. My G5 supplies are now stowed away in the stockpile.

The iPhone/ watch app is easy to use for “BG glancing” and has extra tools (such as ability to add notes for everything) that I find very useful. It’s much easier to glance at the phone and review IOB with this app compared to Dexcom.

I have received several low and high BG alerts while my phone is either turned off or stowed away out of range. These “arm alerts” are the main value added feature that attracted me to Eversense. This is a handy feature that I will continue to rely on. The app also has “predictive alerts” that I have fiddled with but have not yet fine tuned.

I’ll get a more comprehensive summary put together sometime this summer, probably after I start the second sensor in early July.

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience!

What was cost of sensor? Did you order that first prior to appt, or does dr order it?
Does your insurance cover it?

I signed up with Eversense for their “Bridge program” (check their web site)…after my insurance denied coverage for this. The startup kit (transmitter plus one 90 day sensor) was $99 and the next 90 day sensor will be $99. After I signed up the Eversense sales rep handled logistics of scheduling the insertion. I paid $220 cash for the insertion.

3 Likes

Thanks, I checked the details on the Bridge program. It appears the $99 may only apply for limited time. So not clear what continued costs would be. Certainly the early adopters like you, posting like this is a huge benefit to them!

For me, lower cost would be primary factor to switch, so will wait and see.

2 Likes

Thanks, @John58 for your thorough write up and sharing your experience. It was great to read and I’m glad you’ve got another tool in the toolbox.

1 Like

I’ve ordered the eversense and have spoken to the rep often. The bridge program is basically 2 3 month sensors and one transmitter which lasts 1 year. Insurance is a big mess, and the insertion procedure can vary, but other than the $198, that’s the only other expense… the rep said the company is hoping to have much wider and better insurance coverage in 6 months, hence the bridge program…

4 Likes

Hey Roger, good luck trying it…It will be interesting to read about your experience with the Eversense. My regular endo says I am her only patient using it right now, which surprised me and made me feel like a guinea pig. Oink to you!

My words of wisdom, things to watch out for, after 30 days are:

Don’t count on good BG data in those first days (9 days or so for me) after the insertion. In hindsight I could have been adding extra calibrations during those early days and may have been able to get better accuracy earlier if I had tried that.

Don’t expect to master the iPhone app right away. I am still getting used to the app after spending a few years with Dexcom’s phone app. Overall I have grown to like it but I still wag my finger at some of its quirks. I have been using the “Temp Profile” a lot in order to have more leeway in the low alert setting. I have not mastered the “Predictive Alerts” and have mothballed those for a while.

3 Likes

Thanks for your support, my endocrinologist said the same thing, that I’m the only one who asked about eversense. I also spoke to the rep about the insertion, and he said that he helps or supervises 3 insertions, then they are certified. I’m glad you like it, I would imagine that even if you didn’t, you’d probably still keep it for 6 months…I have been using xdrip for android with the libre for about 2 years now, and noticed eversense is an option…not sure if it works well yet, but xdrip is my favorite for customizable alarms, and the predicted glucose levels…sounds like you can do the same on the eversense app…

3 Likes

So on Thursday 5.8, at 1pm, I had the eversense implant appointment, finally received 2 bars on the sensor at 319pm…took a little while, she said it was tough, but it was successful. I have the ticwatch e and wanted to see the glucose levels and predicted values on the watch with xdrip because I was used to it with the libre and blukon …finally figured out you need 2 apps…the modified eversense cgm app and an esel app that you can look up, I apologize for apple users, as this is all android, but I think there is an xdrip iOS…anyway, it works now…I just had MP3 s for alarms and couldn’t take eversense s generic alarms or the inability to use smart watches… but I do like the system so far

6 Likes

Well you are off and running! Please keep us all posted…I’m interested in your impressions.
I had my first major snafu with Eversense approx day 40. The sensor would not calibrate and drifted way out of range over about a 6 hour period. The technical support person walked me through restarting my transmitter, causing the 4 initial calibrations process to start. That all worked fine and I am now back up and running fine with decent accuracy. Only glitch was he was not able to give me any ideas about potential triggers for this glitch, I got the sense he was reading from a script (which did not thrill me).

2 Likes