The daily life of cats

tarangas vet visit went well yesterday. her staples looks good and will be removed on monday. she is tolerating the cone very well. she had her last laser treatment and all is now to see if she is cancer free. and hope that it will stay that way. i get worried about her still. here is her the other day :slight_smile:
20%20PM

2 Likes

taranga apparently likes to climb on my chest when i am laying down on my bed while on the computer. yesterday and today she has been doing that. i get to a point where im like no more no more lol…does your cats have a favorite spot to sleep or rest?

2 Likes

yesterday was Taranga’s birthday. she is now 10 :smiley:…the next vet appt is tuesday. getting the remainder of the staples removed and she’ll be free of the cone of shame. and i hope she wont need to go back to the vet for a while. i just need positive vibes that she doesnt need to go back. im still a nervous mama.

2 Likes

Sending you lots right now!

thanks…i really want her to be cancer free. and its the unknown right now. in a stupid thought, i had a little box of pj on my rolling desk. i had to fix it and now i cant find the oj. i looked everywhere and i cant seem to figure out where it went. my brain is not working today!

1 Like

I don’t usually post in the cat section. But I’m going to now because our cat is having a major issue. She is peeing EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME! Aaaah!

They checked her at the vet and ruled out medical reasons, which means she’s got a psychological or behavioral issue.

They referred us to a pet behaviorist and it’s going to be $350, and they said if that doesnt’t work she may need prozac! So I’d like to hear any suggestions from folks who might have suggestions so we can avoid the expense and the ridiculousness of medicating our cat for anxiety issues.

We’re already keeping bedroom doors closed (she’s peeing on beds as well as carpeting in one hallway), cleaning litter more often and replacing the gross carpeting that she tends to pee on. she also tends to pee on fresh laundry, so you have to fold it and put it away instantly or she’ll find it.

Our kids can be wild and rough with her, which we really, really try to discourage. But unfortunately the peeing has made it worse because now they feel they have license to aggressively shoo her out of rooms where she’ snot supposed to be.

Any suggestions?

Okay, I have some experience with this!!!

Cats do this for a number of reasons but the two major reasons that it happened with our cats was due to STRESS. One of our cats was being abused by the other cats in our house (who happened to be her brothers) and this caused her to become stressed and start peeing in places she shouldn’t (like all the corners in our old home). There are many stressors so maybe try to analyze whether you have any of these in your house.

The second is a dirty litter box. A dirty litter box can cause them to poop and pee somewhere else because cats like clean litter boxes. We weren’t able to fix our kitty and ended up having to give her to relatives (who had no other pets) because we just couldn’t stand the havoc it was causing in our house. Once they start doing it it’s very hard to break them of it because it’s nearly impossible to “lose the scent” that they’ve left in the corner or wherever they went where they weren’t supposed too. They sell chemicals that are supposed to lift the pee smell, but even after extreme shampooing and using these chemicals, we could still smell it.

1 Like

we have one cat. So we’re going to buy another litter box and put it in the place where she normally has been peeing (the carpeted hallway). But then eventually we’d want to NOT have a litter box in that narrow hallway.

This is the problem we’re having with the carpet… but we’re replacing the carpet with vinyl in this hallway and we’re hoping that a) it’s less appealing because not soft and b) it’s easy to clean up the smell.

I really don’t want to contemplate having to give her up. She’s part of our family and we’d be so sad.

I feel like the stressor is Samson + Zane. She often pees on Samson’s bed and he’s the most aggressive and wild with her. Zane’s pretty good with her, though she did pee once on his bed.

Does she only pee in places she shouldn’t at night? Or is it all times of the day/night? It may get to the point that you may want to keep her in a single room until she gets “retrained”

she pees everywhere all day. I mean we used to have a smaller apartment so keeping her contained was easier. Here we have an open floor plan so the only room we could realistically keep her in is a tiny bathroom with the litter box.

Also, MIL is here taking care of our baby and is not an animal person. She’s been doing our laundry and is super upset with our kitty. I’m scared if we don’t fix things soon we’ll find a poisoned cat or something :frowning: (joking…sort of… Except she told a story about how her father stole a neighbor’s dog and drove it miles into the country side and then feigned ignorance when the neighbors were asking about their lost dog because their son kept eating the dog’s food… so maybe not joking???)

Have you researched it? There are quite a few other reasons that could cause it, including some medical reasons.

How to Stop Your Cat From Peeing in the House

You’d be surprised in how otherwise nice people can be cruel to animals and creatures they don’t like, or don’t want around…even if it’s something as simple as a hiss at a cat could stress it out if it’s genuinely scared.

I could share a horrible story of my first deployment to Bosnia in the mid 90’s and the kind of animal abuse I witnessed by otherwise “good people” just because they a) didn’t like cats and b) wanted our post cleared of cats. It was horrible…so much so that I wrote an article to the Start and Stripes and ended up getting a Sergeant Major relieved of duty and relocated to another duty station.

She could have diabetes. Seriously. There are forums just like ours devoted to cats and dogs with diabetes. Have you been to the vet?

1 Like

Could always apply this to your hallway, and then hose down after she pees. Works in jeeps.

http://www.rhinolinings.com/

Or maybe check on the prozac price…

The thing about cats is that, once they’re using corners for peeing, they’ll use every corner in the house for peeing until you figure out the underlying problem and get them re-trained. We tried so many thing on our cat, and while they would work for that corner (for a time), she would move to another corner…with a perfectly clean litter box just feet away.

Until the problem is discovered and addressed, there really isn’t anything that’s going to fix it…hardwood floors would make it easier to “clean it up”, but the behaviors will continue and just be moved elsewhere, until the underlying cause is determined, and fixed.

1 Like

And I’m super sorry you’re going through this @TiaG. This is a VERY frustrating thing to be going through…the smells alone just turn the stomach, if it’s not able to cleaned up correctly and the smells just pile up on one another…it’s not a pleasant experience.

yes we took her last week and they ruled out health issues. But I know cats do get diabetes. That would be so sad. She’s also pooping in odd places occasionally too.

@TiaG, bummer. We have the same experience as @ClaudnDaye. One of our cats started peeing everywhere because she was stressed by the others.

There was one temporary remedy for it: we left her in one single room, which we kept closed to the other cats. Once she wasn’t stressed, she stopped peeing immediately. But the moment we put her back in, she started again too. In the end, we had to relocate her: we found a family to adopt her.

We have also seen examples of peeing because of too few litter boxes, but that is easy to address.

The problem you must avoid: once she has peed enough in some areas, even hardwood, you will have to rip it all. A very expensive problem to deal with. There is no way to clean that stuff in depth once there is enough urine around.

So, if, as it is likely, you can’t remove the stress, I am afraid your only choice will be relocation. I would not wait too long to isolate her and see if you can get her to stop that way. At least that will give you time to think of options.

jackson galexy (sp) has great tips. he is the cat daddy. he knows how to fix anything. do you have play time with your kitty? are you in and out of the house alot? spend time with the cat? etc. there could be factors that may have them go off. sometimes they may be displeased about something and will be peeing. it could be diabetes as well. i have a litter box in the bedroom and in the bathroom. and i only have one cat. you can always get one of those furniture that they have where you can hide the little box in.

other people have good suggestions too

1 Like