The Crazies Are Out - Covid 19

Slight detour here…

When I was a teenager, my friends and I went to Chuck E. Cheese (which should always be known as “Showbiz Pizza” but I digress). I saw that the prize counter workers no longer counted the tickets you turned in, but they weighed them.

So I chewed up a whole bunch of gum and weighed down my tickets. They never noticed. I got so many pencil erasers and plastic rings that night! I still don’t think we had enough for a kite or anything else cool.

I imagine this sort of thing would be frowned upon in our Corona World nowadays. I guess it’s unsafe now to turn in tickets bonded to gum with saliva…it was just poor form before. Too bad.

4 Likes

Sadly in my long forgotten past I used to be the game room attendant and part time mouse at that franchise. There is much shame in my family for this work choice, and I don’t think I will ever be able to forget the smell of that suit. uuugh. As far as checking tickets, we weren’t paid enough to care whether a kid got a 0.02 cent prize or a 0.08 cent prize.

2 Likes

Masks wouldn’t really be required outside, though, right? I mean, if you’re going hiking or something out in the open air, I doubt a mask is going to do anything. Like @Beacher said, here they’re being recommended for shopping, public transit, and other places where it’s impossible to always stay two metres away form people.

I am glad that I have past experience wearing a mask, during summer no less. I’m reading about so many people saying they’re hard to breathe through or too hot or feel claustrophobic… I’ve worn my mask enough prior to the pandemic that I hardly even notice it (not that I’ve been out in ten weeks, but still). The mask I use has an exhalation valve, which helps with it not getting super hot. There are lots of masks made for cyclists that are designed to not be hot; I wonder if those would be effective?

5 Likes

Unfortunately a mask with an exhalation valve is not going to be useful to prevent spreading your infection to others: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/ditch-valve-face-mask-pros-cons/story?id=70511555

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Crazies in Michigan Scaring the Virus

Please don’t post political stuff here or move it to the Politics category.

5 Likes

Yeah, I wondered about that. I haven’t actually been off my apartment property in ten weeks, and I haven’t been wearing a mask when just going around the building to do laundry or take out garbage (try to do that very early morning before anyone else is up).

Good to know that those types of masks may be illegal in some parts of the USA. There are no mask requirements here, just recommendations that they “might be useful” in enclosed areas where physical distancing is not possible, such as stores and public transit. I do think there are some businesses, like hair dressers, that are also requiring customers to wear masks due to inability to stay physically distant.

I guess I’ll either have to find another type of mask or find something to block off the filter on mine till the pandemic is over.

1 Like

Yeah, masks with filters that are only for protecting the wearer against fumes or pollen or such, not for limiting transmission of germs (which is why they aren’t allowed as protection in hospitals either).

Re: wearing masks outside, you are allowed to exercise outside here without one if you can maintain social distancing, but you are supposed to have one easily available for if you come in closer contact with other people. I see all the time though cyclists on our bike paths (which are often not wide enough that they can pass with 6 feet between each other) without masks whatsoever, and some suggest that increased speed and increased respiration increase the distance required for safe social distancing. My partner goes on hikes with her dog, and she’s had problems with other hikers (usually maskless) coming up behind her or coming down trails making no effort whatsoever to maintain distance and/or being in large enough groups that they are spreading across the entire trail. It happens enough that it makes those hikes stressful vs the relaxation they should be.

2 Likes

Not sure if it would do anything. Where my family likes to hike we aren’t likely to run into more than 3-4 people in a 6 hour hike, but many others do tend to crowd the popular trails. It isn’t possible on most of the mountain trails we hike to pass with a 6 foot clearance because the whole trail is only 3 feet wide and often drops hundreds of feet away on one side, and you have a mountain on the other. Even then, I would only wear a mask when passing because 98% of the time you aren’t around others. Honestly, from my reading the likelihood of transmission in the open air is pretty low so I don’t worry too much about that though.

2 Likes

Yes. Outside, your chances of either getting infected or infecting others is greatly diminished.

The multiplicity of infection (MOI) is the number of virus particles per host cell. The higher the MOI, the greater the chance of infection.

The greater the number of virus particles you breathe in, the higher the chance of being infected. But when you are outside, the volume of air is ridiculous in proportion to what you are breathing. The chances of infection when you are outside is so greatly reduced.

Can you get infected from a single virus particle? In theory, yes it is possible. And it is also possible you can get eaten by a shark. But in general, that is not really something to worry about either.

Sorry, low writing this, hope it makes sense.

4 Likes

Returning to the original thread title… this is the mask of choice for someone I vaguely know. And she drives with it on sometimes. (Ignore that the photo is sideways. She does, at least, sit right side up.)

Be careful out there!

4 Likes

I don’t go into public indoor places without an N95 on.

Imo wearing a mask is both effective to protect oneself and others and I am getting more and more frustrated seeing less and less people doing it… it’s not hard or onerous.

Granted a lot of people don’t wear them correctly, which is also not hard to do, but anyone who has any medical or industrial experience seems to be able to figure it out relatively easily.

4 Likes

I wear a mask where I run, but as time goes by, I no longer wear it all of the time, but rather only when I see others on the trail. I try to keep it on about 100 feet before and after we pass each other. Almost everyone I pass on the trail moves aside so that we can keep as much distance as possible between us, and most cover their faces as well. I noticed that fewer and fewer people are wearing a mask 100% of the time now though.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Crazies in Michigan Scaring the Virus

Chris - why the censorship? Please explain.

I didn’t censor you, I simply moved your topic to the appropriate area. If you haven’t gotten the message, no political discussion of any kind is allowed in any area other than the Share:Politics. If you would like to discuss politics, I would suggest Reddit or any number of other sites on the internet. We are not happy we have to moderate in this manner, but it is the only thing that has worked to keep our site civil.

4 Likes

No, you censored me. You moved my post into an area where it cannot be seen unless special action is taken. If you make your politics area opt-out rather than opt-in, then you can claim that you have not censored me. Until then, it is censorship plain and simple.

If someone is unable to take a joke or analyze an argument, and wants to opt out of reading political content, then fine, allow that and make it easy to opt out. But making these jokes or arguments invisible by default is not an honest approach. No other diabetes forum is nearly as sensitive as this one is about political comments. Which is ironic because this site claims to be much more open to free and unfettered discussion than all the others.

Please post all future political content in Share:Politics.

3 Likes

Are you going to answer me?

@jag1: Dude. Really?

1 Like