Thanksgiving strategy from last year’s discussion: over-bolusing

@Michel just eat dessert first! Start on Thursday and go until Saturday!

3 Likes

OK! We’ll do just that! MP and I are looking at desert recipes for tomorrow as I write :slight_smile:

We are thinking homemade persimmon cheesecake with pomegranate topping. We have a big pomegranate tree and a big persimmon tree in the garden, so I already made three big jars of delicious pomegranate jam, and I have at least 60 persimmons softly ripening in the kitchen, with another 100 on the tree.

I found out that, in Spain, there are three names for persimmons. A soft persimmon is a khaki, while a hard persimmon is a persimmon. The bigger, oval type is a sharon. Our tree is a khaki tree. We have loads of tiny birds every day coming to sample these delicious khaki fruits before us… Periodically, one of the fruits falls on the ground with an explosion, and makes me feel that I am an inadequate orchard keeper: I let that one get away :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow! That’s amazing sounding! Sold!

I also have a large persimmon tree, and I should get out there and pick them. It’s the haiycha variety that produces the kind that have a pudding-like consistency when ripe. I’ve never figured out what to do with them, but other people have - so I share lots with friends. The rest go into cookies, breads, or even once enchiladas (the sauce was bitter and I figured the persimmons might help - they did!) And I freeze the pulp.

3 Likes

Here’s the haul from two years ago. :slight_smile:

I leave some for the birds. They’re so pretty up there with no leaves in winter.

4 Likes

What a great picture of you and a lovely haul too! I love these soft persimmons, they taste to me like liquid honey when they are totally soft ripened.

2 Likes

@Michel, that sounds sooo good. I love cheesecake and miss it (still off dairy). I have to admit, though, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a persimmon. :blush: Putting that on my list of things to try…

Apparently my new Thanksgiving strategy is to get so sick I don’t have any desire to eat and won’t be up to traveling to my family’s house. :laughing: Can’t say I recommend it.

4 Likes

That is exactly what I do. I will also increase my basal if needed later in the evening to help offset the slow digesting dinner

1 Like

So stinkin pretty… and the persimmons are kind of nice, too. :two_hearts::hugs::wink:

3 Likes

Not the straightest line in the world, but for a Thanksgiving dinner, with double helpings of everything, plus pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and keeping it all in the target zone, I’m calling it a win!

8 Likes

@DaveJ, what a great Thanksgiving curve!

I was too full of turkey and gravy and sides to eat my dessert last night so…I just had pie for breakfast!!

3 Likes

I had to come downstairs with my eyes closed and drop the rest of the pie in the trash. Couldn’t even look at it. Just had to do it.

2 Likes

That’s amazing, @DaveJ. Next year I’d like to take some notes. :grin:

Actually… I guess I’ll have another shot in a month! :hugs: So what’s your secret??

2 Likes