Tandem tslim vs Omnipod 5

There are two really nice parts of the O5.
No more tubing!
This is a multi pronged point. No tubing in and of itself is wonderful.
But, the ability to place the pump in a lot more locations is a game changer in itself for me!

Second part is that I rarely go low when exercising, outside working around the ranch, etc. The ease I can start an activity and set a time period makes this even better, but it does really good on it’s own.

The BAD…
This thing pales in comparison to the Control-IQ on the tandem pump for keeping my numbers in the range I want.
Heck, just in range period!
Now, that being said, to be fair. IF I eat a pretty low carb diet, and not toooooo much protein, it does a decent job of floating me along.
BUT at a higher number.
Now, when I eat higher carb meals, the O5 really falls flat on it’s face for control. It just cannot make adjustments fast enough with enough insulin behind them to make a difference. Yes, I know it can do every 5 minutes, BUT IT DOESN’T! I rarely have more than a pittance of IOB before I am forced to make a corrective bolus.
And I have really tried to let it ‘learn’. If nothing else, my night time highs get WORSE the longer I wear it!

Really frustrating as I really wanted this to be the next great thing!
I think if they let us set the basal like we do with Control-IQ, it would most likely make a huge difference to how well it would work overall.

That being said, I will most likely stay on O5 until the new Tandem Mobi patch pump comes out.
Sounds like the patch pump will directly transition into a tubeless setup without the need of a new pump, so it makes sense for me to go that route. I have had great luck with Tandem, and I can make the algorythm do what I want it to, when I want it to, etc.
Hope they make an exercize/activity mode that is as easy as Omnipod has done. I really like how easy it is (I ALWAYS forgot to turn it off on my tandem pump!!!)

2 Likes

It has been a while, so I thought I would drop an update on this topic.

If I had never used another pump, the O5 would be decent.
It does it’s job, it works.
It has many things that need improvement.
I love the patch type pump. No more tubes, stuff hanging off, etc.

Having said all that, I have had my worst A1c I have had since shortly after being diagnosed. And yes, I know it isn’t bad, but it is higher than I normally range. My A1c from last week was 6.0.
I normally range in the 5.1 to 5.6 for the last 8 years or so.
I know, without changing my eating habits, on the Tandem with Control-IQ, I would be around 5.6 or so. With a few better eating habits, I can easily get to 5.2

I don’t think I could get to that range without large changes to my diet and eating habits (they are not bad habits, but I refuse to lose my quality of life / BG balance that I have achieved.)

That being said, I am going to try and get more tandem supplies and try a back to back test on the Lyumjev U200 that I recently started to see how well Control-IQ handles the new insulin compared to the O5.

6 Likes

@Hammer Thanks for the update. I can’t wait to hear back from your experiment. I went from OP5 for 3 months back to t-slimx2 and in one week the t-slim caught up to the entire 90 days of learning on the OP5 and I can keep the t-slim on for the full 3 days versus issues of tunneling and what ot with OP5. I am doing mdi now just to see how well I can do and just feel overwhelmed that the t-slim algorithm works so easily for me, but filling the cartridge and being tubed and all that is such a pain, but have to carry the controller for OP5. I will be interested to see your comparison. I am trying to balance quality of life, but not at the expense of higher A1C’s (if significant to me). Thanks.

2 Likes

Exactly. Quality of life.
With the Tandem pump, I can maintain a 5.1 to 5.2 A1c, but my quality of life suffers. I know I could get under 5.0, but I do not feel that would be worth the effort/cost to my mental state.
Also with the Tandem, I can EASILY maintain around 5.6, and I have a much better quality of life. This is a fair trade off for me.

The O5, with quality of life I want, I am at 6.0, which isn’t bad, but not really where I want to be on the A1c scale. I am constantly giving correction boluses, as the O5 will not do this on it’s own.

I think the change to Lyumjev U200 will bring down my A1c with the O5. But I cannot help but think it will be even better on the Tandem pump.

4 Likes

@Hammer,
From what you are describing - that you like the tubeless aspect, but the control of the O5 was not as good…it really sounds like doing Loop with the Dash pods would be the best of both worlds for you.

4 Likes

Sorry, I had put in a feature comparison list I’d compiled a while ago highlighting my experience with both the X2 and OP5. But the formatting sucked.

1 Like

Thanks for this perspective. I have exactly the same issue that OP5 just won’t quite let me live where I want to in A1C and average glucose. On the plus side, the t-slim is said to be coming out with a tubeless option (I think I read that somewhere), then we’s have the best if both worlds. Here’s hoping!

2 Likes

I have thought about this. I had always resisted because older versions because of requiring both iphone and riley link.
It looks like the Dash is BT, so no Riley link, and it can be used through OpenAps now as well?
This might be an option as well. I don’t mind building the software. Too bad it wouldn’t work with the O5.

2 Likes

Yes you would need Dash pods, but no Riley Link is needed anymore.

Building it takes a little bit of patience the first time. After the first time, it’s pretty easy (unless you want to do wacky customization and make your own “version” like some clowns here :wink:).

But you don’t need to build it all at once. You can keep working on it until you get it right, and once it is working, you switch over.

4 Likes

@Hammer If you’re looking for tubeless, I’d second @Eric’s comment on Loop with Dash pods, though you may also want to look at iAPS (it’s FreeAPS also known as FAX, though with substantial changes). Both are DIY builds intended for iPhone control. Builds can be done on a Mac, but also via about any browser on any comp, pad, or phone with internet access, a GitHub account, TestFlight, and an Apple Developer account. The GitHub build process takes a while the first time, but subsequent builds are just a few clicks long, then a 30 minute wait for the build with no involvement from you, then a TestFlight transfer to your phone based on an email link. iAPS is a lot more configurable than Loop therefore more work to dial-in due to the number of possible settings (doesn’t sound like what you want), code is a lot more work in progress than is Loop, and documentation is not an iAPS strong suit yet, but once done, the iAPS claim is you don’t have to bolus for low- or moderate-carb meals, the algorithm can handle seeing the BG increase and responding. The two algorithms are significantly different. I recommend a review of the docs and talking with users.

4 Likes

I am an android user, so the iphone solution is not for me.
So I would need to use something like OpenAps, which can be built on android.
This was one of the other issues I was having with most loop setups, as I don’t want to go back to Apple again.

I am definitely open to suggestions though. And while I know the Tandem setup isn’t perfect, it is pretty good for a commercial product.
I think it is going to time for me to move over to custom looping to get where I really want to be at.

@Hammer, I’m only marginally familiar with the Android system. My dad used it and I tried to help a few years back, but it didn’t translate well, seemed some how disjointed to me…but that’s been several years ago and I’m sure it’s changed. I’m sure someone else here can advise you better. If still interested in tubeless, I recall reading about good Android and Dash systems. Would that companies would settle on interoperable standards vice always aiming to be the end all/be all monopoly providers, perhaps someday… Please come back and keep us all aware of what route you take, why, and what works well for you. There’s always interest in looking for additional capabilities…the greener grass!

3 Likes

I am now on the OP5, I was using the Tandem but wanted to try something without the tube. After changing it out one day, I had problems. The OP5 wouldn’t connect to my transmitter. Tried resetting it several times, but no luck. So I changed the Dexcom, and transmitter again for the third time it finally picked it up and started working. Has anyone else had this problem? I never had it with Tandem before, and this doesn’t seem right to me. The one it rejected hadn’t been in use for maybe a month and supposed to last 3 months. Help if you can

If your O5 is working, connecting, etc., then suddenly stops seeing your dexcom.
RESTART your O5 PDM. You can click on the ‘try again’ until the cows come home, if it doesn’t respond in the first attempt, it will not respond.
If you restart the PDM, it will find the dexcom again and you will be fine.
This keeps you from starting a new sensor/transmitter when it is still operating fine.

I get to cheat, I have xdrip on my BlueJay watch. So I know my dexcom is working fine, and I can see the age of the transmitter. So I know the problem lies with the O5.

Again, just restart your PDM, and you should be good to go. Any time it doesn’t see the dexcom, I don’t bother doing anything other then just restarting the PDM.

2 Likes

I tried restarting it, but it just wouldn’t accept it. I’m going to try to get Dexcom to send me replacements for the transmitter and sensor. If they won’t, I’ll just be without. I know if this happens again, I’ll switch back to my Tandem

1 Like

Try setting it to 88888 first. That is the default ‘place holder’ number for dexcom transmitters where it passes their check.
After 15 minutes, set it back to the one you have.

Also, do you have any other way to verify that the dexcom transmitter is working? If you have android, Xdrip+ is a great program.

Or, do you still have a dexcom PDM? Maybe see if that shows the transmitter is still working?

Either way, a call to dexcom should get you a new transmitter coming out.

1 Like

I have the Dexcom app on my phone. It was working fine, but just not receiving on my OP5 receiver. I did everything I could to get it to reset, but it didn’t work. It worked great on the Dexcom app, but that was it. Hopefully Dexcom will replace it since it wouldn’t respond to my OP5. Guess we’ll see.

A different situation, but I had a new transmitter that would not work. Called Dexcom support and they walked me through the 88888 id. Thought it was strange, but great that they had a workaround that “reset” my new transmitter. Still working now.

1 Like

i briefly looked into openaps, but found aaps to be much easier to set up. you definitely want to reread the docs a few times, or have them opened on your phone while building the app on your computer, you’ll want to be careful and build the newest version, and order your g7 asap, i feel g7 is a lot quicker especially during meals/activities and seems to recover from hypoglycemia quicker… especially while drinking water… there are no line of sight issues (o5), however, a wear os watch makes a big difference, and since night scout is heavily involved, wifi and cell service is almost necessary especially for reports (dr visits), i would also avoid any extra beep options, location services/automation does not work well, better to set up temp profiles, and it’ll take a little while to set up and complete your objectives, but itll be worth it…remembering extended boluses are replaced by temp basals will also help with pizza or other slow absorption meals, and feel free to ask any questions, ive used aaps, ticwatch3pro, g6, now g7, lyuumjev 200 since 5/22

1 Like

Setting up AndroidAPS requires that you pass the built in exam; it can be disabled or you can cheat (as I did) but you have to be a programmer to do either. Passing the exam requires rote learning of the documents, a patience that I lack, and a credulity to go with it. I use AndroidAPS and I love it but it is not an easy spouse.

I’m, as of a few hours ago, using the G7 with xDrip+ and AndroidAPS. My approach is certainly non-standard. The FB xDrip+ and AAPS groups are my recommended places to start.

1 Like