Looking for Users Comparisons of Omnipod Dash vs Tandem T-Slim

I am contemplating a return to Omnipod vs my current Tandem t-Slim pump since I really dislike being tethered by the tubing connection. The Tandem system is good overall. In hindsight, I loved the “pod” since it was easier to wear. When I switched to the Tandem t-slim and the Dexcom G6, it was such an improvement. My A1c dropped from 7.8 to 6.8 and has remained well below 7 ever since.I am a Dexcom 6 User as well. I am looking for an open discussion re: Omnipod Dash vs Tandem t-slim Pump. How does the Omnipod Dash compare to the T-Slim with Control Iq now? How is the integration with a Dexcom CGM? Also, I have read some of the news about next-generation products and it seems both companies are on the brink of new technology. This may may address some of my issues with the t-slim’s tethered pump and that may be my answer. Has anyone tested Tandem’s new patch-pump? Is this a good time to switch or is there a timeline for the new Tandem patch pump? I look forward to and am grateful for a good discussion.

3 Likes

As far as I know, neither the omnipod-5 nor the tandem patch pump are available yet. Both show promise. For myself, I’d be more interested in the forthcoming tandem because it connects to standard infusion sets, so there is a great variety of suitable infusion sites. Except that I hate their 90-degree cannulas because I find the needle connection too difficult. I prefer hub-style infusion sets like the Medtronic QuickSet or the Smiths Cleo 90. The short (or long, your preference) tube will be completely inside the clothes so less of an issue than with the t:slim. I find the omnipod somewhat limiting because it sticks out so much that there are lots of places I just can’t wear it.

1 Like

Me too!!! Are you saying next Tandem will work with them? That would be great!!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I mention it as a reason I’m not currently using my t:slim X2. They’ve been making about 1/3 of their income by selling infusion sets since they switched from luer-lock to their proprietary connector, and so it seems they make money by preventing us from using the infusion sets that we would like.

1 Like

While I dislike the lack of choice, I like the idea that Tandem is still in business.
And this additional income is something I honestly appreciate because we are now seeing more updates in their pipeline for new pumps, algorithms, etc.
Before they made this move, they did not have very good profits. This was concerning for a company that had really good products!

I see this as not so much of a money grab, but a way to stay in business.
Of course, that is only my view.
And like I said, I would still like more options!

2 Likes

Tandem almost went bankrupt when Medtronic was trying so hard to put them out of business rather than compete (my interpretation of events such as the deal with United Healthcare to become the only pump supplier covered by UNH insurance.) So at that time, it was quite reasonable that Tandem would take sole control over their pump supplies: the profits from infusion sets were essential to their survival as a company. And we all benefit from having Tandem’s superior technology available.

Now Tandem is a thriving, profitable business, and Medtronic Diabetes isn’t dominating. So I don’t see the need for Tandem to prevent choice. They could sell luer-lock adapters, or sell luer-lock reservoirs (as they formerly did), or make deals to offer a wider variety of infusion sets. But they don’t.

1 Like

Someday my B-I-L who has a 3D printer may be able to help me, but at this time is too busy.
Post by Luca.

2 Likes