New Pump (Which One to Get?)

Hey Everyone,
I am shopping for a new pump as my warranty with my Medtronic Paradigm has expired after 4 years. I currently use the Dexcom CGM and love it. The simple idea would be to go with the TSlim pump because the CGM and Pump will work together. However, I am open to other ideas. What pump/CGM do you have and why do you think it’s the best?

2 Likes

Hi @jbecks011, welcome to FUD!

I have the t:slim X2 and Dexcom G6, started on them in November. I have been very impressed with how well Basal-IQ works for me, it catches/prevents a significant number of lows and very very rarely causes a rebound high. The touchscreen is quite easy to use, particularly if you’re already relatively comfortable with touchscreens, and punching in a bolus with the number pad feels much quicker than scrolling up to it like I did on my old Medtronic pump. Personally I greatly prefer being able to recharge the pump instead of having to be sure you have batteries around like other pumps require.

The biggest con to the system in my opinion is the cartridge fill process, at first it’s a bit tricky and it definitely takes a bit longer to do than it would for other pumps. Also, some folks here have had trouble with the G6 sensors, I haven’t personally had any issues with them (in fact, I couldn’t be more pleased with them) but we do have a few threads here discussing issues with G6 sensor failures. I’m not sure which Dexcom sensors you currently use but I figured I’d throw that out there in the interest of giving you a rundown of the pros/cons :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I use Omnipod and a G6. The primary reason I went that route is because it’s tubeless. I’m very happy with the choice.

2 Likes

Yes—- and if you’re anything like me and many others, they’ll work well. I spent more than a year with the 670G and about 7 months with the t:slim, and if I had the choice today, I would go with t:slim without a second thought. If Dexcom works well for you, I wouldn’t rock the boat.

2 Likes

I am currently with an out of warranty pump as well. I broke a bone and hit my max out pocket this year already (it’s certainly a double edged sword). Consequently, everything for me will be covered at 100%. I am leaning towards a Tandem, but waiting until closer to the wnd of 2019 when Control IQ with the Tandem is rumored to be released.

1 Like

Thanks for your insight. I agree, I have heard the filling process is not as simple. I suppose it goes with the device being “water resistant.” I have had issues with the G6 failing but not recently. I REALLY REALLY REALLY look forward to having the protection against lows and whatever update that with auto correct for highs!

1 Like

I understand your reasoning! Does it provide any hindrance with having such a device always stuck to you during exercise or activities?

What I really like about the tandem is that upgrades (as of now…) come with plugging in your pump to the computer and downloading new software. I am very excited to have the pump protect against lows and correct for highs at some point soon!

1 Like

I was a long time Medtronic user and I switched to Tandem. Very happy with my decision. The Basil IQ functionality works very well. Waiting to see how well Control IQ will works in the real world.

I also use the Omnipod and I have never found it a hindrance with activity – once I figured out where to put the pod before certain activities (mostly common sense). For example, I’m right-handed, so it’s a problem for me to play tennis with the pod on my right arm, because the motion of the cannula in my tissue promotes what’s called tunneling which leads to leaking. So if I know I’ll be playing tennis on a certain day, I make sure I put my pod somewhere else. Most pod users, though, don’t get tunneling.

On this forum there’s a marathon maniac who wears pods, and there are Olympic athletes who wear pods. Personally I’d avoid or be very careful with rough contact sports – I wouldn’t want to wrestle while wearing a pod – but otherwise, go for it!