Does anyone use the tandem pump

PLEASE HELP: I have been using Medtronic pumps since I started on a pump. (about 24 years with Medtronic) Recently a few people and my new endo have recommendid to me that I try out the Tandem Pump, that it will work well with the Dexcom and i could do a closed loop system. According to my Medicare Insurance, I have to stay on the Medtronic (the 770G) for another 2yrs before i can change pumps. But, perhaps my doctor can override that requirement.

Has anyone used the Tandem? Any info would be helpful and i am hoping that some FUD members will reach out to me.

Thanks ahead of time!

DM

4 Likes

Hi Daisy - I have been using the tandem pump for about 8 years now - it is the only pump I’ve ever used. I’m sure there are past threads where people talk about the Tandem’s pros and cons. I don’t know about medtronic so can’t compare.

I did a quick search and didn’t find anything all that new or all that topical. Does anyone have a link for @daisymae?

As I recall from prior discussio people don’t like the tubing vs. the omnipod. Personally, i like the “control iq” feature which is sort of like adaptive cruise control. You have to pay some attention, but the system is making some adjustments for you - it even has some limited automatic bolusing.

7 Likes

Thanks bostrav59. I dont want to try the pod bc i dont want to attach anything else to my body. But i am interested in the loop system. The less I need to test the better. My fingers are so scared from years of finger sticks its just awful.

3 Likes

I’m on my second Tandem pump. I used Medtronic prior to Tandem. Overall I think it is a great pump.

I love the mobile app and the ability to bolus from the app. (Note you can’t do all pump action on the app. Most things you still handle on the pump.)

My biggest complaint is the Dexcom connection to the pump can be problematic. It seems to be dependent on sensor location and where your pump location. Not a huge issue, but annoying at times.

Some app screen shots.

They also have a website with more detailed reports:

5 Likes

Hi Daisy,
I just got my 2nd Tandem X2 pump, after at least 6 Medtronic pumps.

Having both insulin delivery and CGM in one pump is great. The pump will adjust insulin based on the settings.

There is also a smaller Mobi recently released by Tandem. There are several videos to show you more details.

7 Likes

DM,
A loop system only works as well as your CGM works.

If your Dexcom is giving you accurate numbers, Tandem will take those values and use them and make it easy for you.

But if your Dexcom is giving you numbers that are not very accurate, Tandem will be doing things that may not be right for what you need.

In other words, the pump does not know if the Dexcom numbers are correct. It always assumes that the numbers are correct.

This is the same for any loop system. It depends very much on your CGM’s accuracy.

As far as the tubing and the infusion sets and all of that, it will probably be very similar to what you are used to.

6 Likes

Thanks MM2 and Eric for the info. Somehow I seemed to frind the “sweet spot” on my left arm ( I sleep on my right side) Ever since then, after exactly 24 hours ( sometimes sooner) my Dexcom reads within 5 points accuracy. Of course, there are some bad CGMs and i pull them off and call Dexcom for a replacement. They are very accommodating (annoying but accommodating) But I dont mind.

And I dont even know yet whether i qualify for the Tandem at this point bc of Medicare.

4 Likes

@daisymae
One other thing I want to mention…

I don’t have any experience with the Tandem pump. But I have a lot of experience with DaisyMae! :joy: I know how you manage things!

You know what your insulin requirements are. You will put in the exact I:C numbers, the exact correction numbers, the exact basal numbers for different times of the day. You have extremely tight control and you track your stuff as well as anyone possibly could.

But the pump does a lot of stuff. It will make changes based on what it is programmed to do. And it might drive you nuts if both you and the pump are making changes all of the time.

So just consider that if you are in the closed-loop mode (where the pump is making the changes), you have to just let the pump be in charge. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

What I do with my pump, is use open-loop during the day. When I am awake, I want to be in charge of everything.

At night when I am sleeping, I use the closed-loop. Because I am not making adjustments and doing things when I am asleep!

So that might be another way of using it if you want to try it like that.

7 Likes

Tandem supports both G6 and G7. I should of stayed with the rock solid (for me) G6. G7 is beyond frustrating.

6 Likes

I totally understand! I used to be on a Paradigm Pump (Medtronic) and it was my favorite of all my pumps (over the years) and then they discontinued it and replaced it with this God Awful new model with all these ridiculous safety precautions. It is a miserable, lousy pump. AND, whenever i comploain about it to anyone from Medtronic, they say the same thing, AND, that Paradigm was everybody’s favorite.

5 Likes

Thanks for this Jim, and sorry that it’s such a pain. I’m trying to hold on to the G6 as long as I can …

3 Likes

so sorry to hear about that. When i moved to the G7 i was so happy. I I had little need to calibrate, and my only dislike was trying to find my sweet spot to insert it into. Im on the Dex G7 now and i love love love it. I do get the occational duds, but then i just call up Medtronic and they replace the bad sensor.

1 Like

I stayed on G6 with Tandem, even returned G7s that supplier sent at their own discretion. No longer my supplier!

3 Likes

Whos was the supplier that you were using, if you dont mind? I have been using CCS Medical for years now and they have been my supplier for my pumps as well as all the equipment as well as my Dexcom.

1 Like

I’ve used MDI, the Animus, Omnipod and Tandem with Control IQ. The Tandem was a clear winner. I am now getting A1C’s in range for the first time since my honeymoon phase ended about 15 years ago. If the Omnipod 5 ever becomes available where I live, I will try it, as it has similar technology where it reads the dexcom data and adjusts your insulin accordingly. BUT, that’s only because I loved having no tube. I’m active and like the water, and so the tube and not being waterproof is a Tandem drawback. However, I am approved for both the Omnipod Dash and the Tandem, and when I put my Omnipod Dash on for say a few days at the beach, my control is totally out the window in comparison to what I can achieve with Tandem. Good luck!

5 Likes

I used CCS for many years starting with Tandem. But around Covid they had problems with shipping, employees out sick and often shortages…

Lately using ADS, so will see what I get this time.

2 Likes

I used Paradigm and loved it as well. It was an indestructible tank. I actually still have it and a few infusion sets for pump failure. I would so love the Paradigm with Control IQ and Dexcom integration.

4 Likes

Hi Daisy Mae. For what it’s worth here is my two cents. My first pump 20 years ago was Medtronic. I found it to be uncomfortable. Too big and too rigid. Had a hard time finding place to put especially if wearing a dress. Went to Omni pod. Liked it for awhile but then went on Medicare and it was expensive. Was so having trouble with placement. Switched to MDI for about three years. Last year went with the tandem. I like it as much as you can like a pump being attached to you. Much smaller than Medtronic. I just throw in pocket or in my bra if no pockets. Has a nice interactive screen. I find it easy to program and I learned to fill cartridge all the way and it lasts about a week. Just change the infusion site. Love that I can program from my phone. No fishing out the pump. I rarely use control IQ. Too OCD. Like my numbers lower. Sometimes use at night. Sorry for rambling. But I do like the pump. I use the auto soft 30 infusion sets. Also like that it integrates with Dexcom.

8 Likes