Tandem Control IQ

Thanks, RCA221. That’s what I was guessing, (T1 for 42 years here), but I hadn’t seen those particular abbreviations. I think I’ve only seen it spelled out as carb:insulin ratio. Now I’ll be able to use the lingo, much easier.

1 Like

I just call ISF my correction ratio. Easier for me. Already too may anagrams with this disease.

Acronyms.

2 Likes

Yup, thanks.

Well, I just finished the Control IQ training and have the link to update my pump. The whole process started on 1/31/20 so it took awhile. I guess I’ll update the pump and see how things go. I’m a bit concerned about the statement that Tandem says that Control IQ will only work with U100 insulin because I’ve been using Humalog U200 for about 3 months now. Of course the pump doesn’t know that and my doctor had to change all the settings to trick the pump.

The training also said that you have to enter body weight and daily insulin for it to work and that daily insulin couldn’t be more than 100 units. I’m using 95 units per day with U200 so if I had U100, it would be double that. Any input from people using U200 would be good to hear.

1 Like

In my experience, control iq works so much better with Fiasp or Novolog. Humalog takes too long to start working when the pump makes any basal rate changes.

1 week update on Control IQ. So far I’m very happy. I had to increase my morning basal and lower my afternoon basal just a bit. Since doing that, Control IQ has been working as designed. My time in range for the past week was 90% which is a 13% increase.

The one irritating thing I found was the 200 mg/dl warning that I’ve get on occasion. It says that Control IQ has made adjustments but my blood glucose is still over 200 mg/dl and that I should check my pump, reservoir, tubing, and infusion set. I’m sure that I’m not the only diabetic who has blood glucose readings above 200 after a meal. I wish I could turn the warning off. The good news is that the readings above 200 have decreased since using Control IQ.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m from Germany and I’ll get the the t:slim with basal iq. Next year the control iq upgrade process should start. Does anybody know if medicare has to pay for the upgrade or was it included in the pumps price? Nobody seems to know it here; I’m afraid that health insurances will only pay for it if they’ll get not only a prescription but also a bunch of paper with all my data for the last three months and so on.

I can’t speak about the Medicare process, but once we had the pump, all of the upgrades have been free of charge as long as the pump is in warranty. We started out about 5 years ago with just the Tslim, and have added Basal IQ, and then Control IQ at no additional charge.

Thanks, did you pay the pump by yourself?

No our insurance paid for the pump we just owed the copay, but of course this was not Medicare, but standard commercial insurance.

Per this article, no charge in US through year end 2020.

Why do you need to wait until next year ?
Are you in Germany, but have US medicare?

2 Likes

The date on that link is from 2019! I guess it is still valId through end of 2020…

Suppose they could have made another announcement to extend, so a call to Tandem could verify.

2 Likes

Free updates for in warranty pumps are still valid. I just (in last 2 weeks) updated mine. It requires a new Rx from your provider.

2 Likes

@MM2

have US medicare?

Sorry for confusing all of you. I quick searched in dict for medicare and found s.th. like health insurance. I’m lazy so I used one word instead of two.
thank you and @Chris and others for your answers, helps me to stay calm - why should tandem act in another way in Europe than in US.
I hope for all german PWD who are not able to build a DIY Loop System to get a better AID than the MM670G.
Are there anywhere inside the forum comparisons between loop or openaps and Control IQ?

2 Likes

So, Loop and Open APS are fully programmable and there is lots of information about them on our site. We have quite a few loopers. These don’t really compare in any way to Control IQ, because Control IQ is not fully programmable, yet it works well for many people. So if you were interested in your algorithm managing your A1c in the 5’s you would not easily be able to achieve that with Control IQ. Also, the looping programs require you to tweak a large number of settings, once dialed in, the results are amazing for many. In contrast, Control IQ will only require you to set a couple of things. Realistically most people will find Control IQ keeps their A1c in the 6’s and 7’s with a reasonable diet. Of course, if you are willing to eat a pretty restricted diet, you can get your A1c lower with Control IQ, but that is more a function of the diet than the algorithm.

5 Likes

I am using DIY Loop on iOS with Insulet OmniPod pump and Dexcom G6.

Yes, per Chris, I don’t think there is any forum comparison of DIY Loop with Control IQ, but Chris’ description of the differences jives with my view. Loop is customizable for your own requirements, so you can set your own target range. I believe Control IQ restricts a low target range. Loop also supports auto-bolus so that it will initiate small boluses based on predicted BG while taking all the other settings into consideration, including Basal, IC, ISF, Max Basal, Max Bolus, Suspend Threshold, etc. To get the full details of Loop, visit its well written online documentation site here.

Chris is right, there are several of us loopers here, so if you have any specific questions, please ask away!

3 Likes