Tandem Control IQ

I’ve been going back and forth on it but I finally decided to bite the bullet and start the process on getting the upgrade. Anticipating the endo script to take a bit.

Major drivers of my decision were curiosity and the fact that apparently the update also lets you set the fill tubing beep to vibrate :crazy_face:

2 Likes

It’s definitely taking a while for mine. Has been in the prescription waiting period since the 23rd.

2 Likes

I updated my pump Friday night.
I immediately set the sleep schedule for 12am to 11:59pm.
I updated my weight to more than what I am, and upped the TDD.
The next day I upped my weight to the max of 308 lbs, and max TDD of 100 units/day.
I then changed my correction factor from 1:20 to 1:15.
These things have made my normal BGs pretty nice!
And for the huge win, I am not paying nearly as much attention to my D !!!
Now, I will play around with a few more things, but I want to make sure that if the sensor goes off line, something happens to it, etc. That I am ‘safe’ for the pump to keep running on whatever Profile I have set.
I will keep my basals fairly normal (aggresive, but nothing scary.)
But I will continue to adjust my correction factor, and even adjust my carb ratio after that, until I get it to really bring down the meals with my true target of 85.

That being said, I am floating in the 90 to 105 range a lot. Which really isn’t too bad!

6 Likes

I learned to hold my thumb over the six tiny ::: speaker holes on the back of the pump at the end opposite the tube, that made it pretty quiet. Turning off that beep sounds like a better option.

2 Likes

I’m familiar with this trick! To be honest I really hate all pump beeps, I have every setting possible set to vibrate or turned off and the unchangeable fill tubing beeps really irk me. It’s quieter with the holes covered but regardless it’s annoying that it was not an option to silence this already!

1 Like

That was not my experience at all with standard mode. I started in standard mode because I wanted to learn how it responded to me and to try both ways, standard and 24hr/sleep before deciding which was best for me. I was advised to adjust my CR and ISF to help compensate for the higher range. It begins raising basal based not only on your settings but on algorithm predictions with its goal being to keep you between 160 and 112.5. I was actually too low and needed to re-adjust settings.

From the User Guide -
***The automatic correction bolus will
deliver 60% of the total correction bolus
calculated based on the -

1. Personal Profile correction factor
  2. current CGM reading
  3. CIQ increased basal rate
    The Target Glucose for
    the automatic correction bolus is 110
    mg/dL.

I am in 24/hr sleep mode now because my goal along with being in range was to put as little work into it (after initial adjustments) as possible. My hesitation to give up BIQ were unwarranted. In both modes CIQ has gone way beyond my expectations.

1 Like

What I stated is exactly how the pump works in native CIQ. The Tandem website chart even shows the pump does absolutely nothing until the BG goes to 160, and then gives a 40% reduced bolus at 180. Do not tell me I’m wrong when Tandem’s own literature states exactly what I’ve been saying.

I feel stupid for asking, but can you explain what CR and ISF stand for?

2 Likes

CR refers to carb ratio. Basically it refers to how many carbs 1 unit of insulin will cover. For example if your carb ratio id 10:1, you need to take 1 unit of insulin for every 10 carbs you eat so it you eat 25 carbs you should take 2.5 units. People have different carb ratios. I believe mine is 5:1. So I would take 5 units of insulin for 25 carbs.

1 Like

ISF insulin sensitivity factor. Or also referred to as CF correction factor. So it is how far you will drop from 1u if insulin. Mine is 1:65. So 1 unit will drop my blood glucose 65 points. It is very significant in the CIQ algorithm adjustments.

Mine is 1:70 but most are lower such as 1:40.

1 Like

I know! Before CIQ I was 1:70. We are very insulin sensitive! I’m surprised your CR is so low. Mine is. 1:28.

1 Like

Hard to test to determine your ISF. Someday when your are high, but not too high such as 150, give yourself 1 unit then wait until the insulin is gone such as 3-5 hrs and see what your 150 comes down to. One of the tests I hate to do because I have little patience when my BG is high. I purposely give myself more that I need to drop my BG faster and then eat something when it comes to target which is much faster.

1 Like

That is very precise. 1:28 carb ratio, are you type 2?

And you should test more than once before relying on it as your ISF. Most medical professionals will assume it is something to start you off but you can determine the correct number yourself and with more precision.

Haha no. T1 for 51 years

HA! Beat you…53 years…9th grade.

1 Like

No winners in TID…just survivors.

2 Likes

I disagree, I tell my son every day he is a winner, or is that a wiener. Getting hard to remember things in my old age. /s

3 Likes

Both!

3 Likes