Tandem Control IQ

I am wondering the same thing.

BTW, the Control IQ appears to let you go up to 180. In fact, at 2:30 pm today and not being active with Control IQ engaged, my BG has risen to nearly 200. Control IQ had raised the basal dosage from 0.8 u/hr to about 2.5 u/hr when the BG got to 200, but I would hope to think it would have kicked in sooner.

In any case, I took a correction bolus to bring it down.

I agree that nighttime is the danger period for type 1s. My understanding of the statistics is that a type 1 has a 10% chance of dying of a hypo event during sleep over their lifetime. That does not mean that you have a 10% chance of dying any one night when you have a hypo event, but instead over your lifetime.

1 Like

@mike1 what you are experiencing is exactly why others are using sleep mode all the time. I was pissed off the pump would let my BG go to 180 without doing anything. At 180 it started to work to get the BG down, but by then it was too late. The automatic bolus is a complete joke. Why bolus half the units it would take to bring the BG back down?

Another bizarre thing that is happening with me is I’m now having to drastically raise my basal rates. I’ve had a 10 unit increase in my 24 hour basal total amount just from having to raise them. This has really confused me to no end.

1 Like

Yeah, same thing here - my daily total insulin amount has gone from 26 u/day to now over 30 u/day without changing anything. I have only been on Control IQ 2 full days so I was hoping it was a fluke. Also, it is early, but I do not see that my overall BG control is better.

1 Like

Give sleep mode a try. Do not just activate it and let it run. The pump will turn it off automatically after a certain period of time. Found this out the hard way. Instead, set the sleep schedule from 12am-11:59pm.

That’s cool, because you are not running it all the time like the Tandem rep told you.

Clearly there is 1 minute where you are not sleeping, so that qualifies as not running it all the time!
:grinning:

3 Likes

@Eric You’re hilarious. My response to her was not as diplomatic and thoughtful as you would have been. Apparently, she was highly offended, but at that point I couldn’t have cared less about her opinions or feelings.

2 Likes

Their using Dexcom’s (TypeZero) technology for Control IQ’s algorithm so not sure if that decision was based on their research or not.

But agree seems like they got things switched around with not having more aggressive targets during the day vs. night time.

2 Likes

I haven’t looked into the actual reasons, but when I first heard about this, it made perfect sense to me, because it is consistent with my experience on loop.

When I’m asleep, I don’t have food or exercise confounding loop’s predictions of my future BG, so the algorithm does a pretty good job of giving me the amount of insulin that I actually need. During the day, carbs and other factors drive BG excursions that loop couldn’t have predicted because my carb estimations are not perfect and my insulin sensitivity varies so much because of dynamic circumstances.

The fact is that loop isn’t very good at sugar surfing. It gets behind and tries to catch up, but (I think this is the key point:) the algorithm designers are not willing to risk causing a severe hypo or death by giving a larger dose of insulin than is actually needed.

When we sugar surf we routinely find that we have given too big a correction for a high, but we can solve that with carbs. Just suspending insulin delivery isn’t enough to save us from an over aggressive correction bolus, so Control-IQ and Loop simply can’t choose to do it. If I were the FDA I wouldn’t approve an algorithm that gives insulin doses that have any significant chance of causing a severe hypo. (“Sorry we killed your friend, but we thought they’d just eat something if we gave them too much insulin…”)

I expect that FDA-approved algorithms will only become sufficiently aggressive when we have dual-hormone pumps that can recover from too large an insulin bolus without manual intervention.

4 Likes

Yes. I am hoping the Gvoke shelf-stable liquid glucagon gets them moving in that direction…

I am surprised at the lack of excitement about it. I think Gvoke could be the biggest thing to come out in recent years, as far as creating an entirely new pump treatment option.

1 Like

@Eric The BetaBionics iLet is in trials right now.

2 Likes

Either the writer does not recognize the significance of a dual-hormonal pump. Or this pump is being over-hyped. Not sure which…

Checking out the article, it keeps talking about Fiasp! But so what? People have already been using Fiasp. Not sure why they kept emphasizing Fiasp and saying practically nothing about glucagon.

The article mentions “Fiasp” 4 times. It uses the word “insulin” 9 times. But it mentions “glucagon” only once!!

The innovative medical technology company’s new system will utilize NovoNordisk’s new ultra-fast acting insulin called Fiasp, and the trial will also take advantage of the Dexcom continuous glucose monitoring system.

Fiasp is the first fast-acting insulin that does not have a pre-meal dosing recommendation, and becomes active in the blood in just 2.5 minutes, approximately.

NovoNordisk’s Fiasp insulin will be tested using the iLet Bionic Pancreas System on certain adult patients, and insulin lispro and conventional insulin aspart will be used for both adults and children involved in the study.

To me, the most relevant thing about the pump would be glucagon, but it seems like an afterthought in the write-up. Puzzling.

Of course the article is almost 2 years old. Maybe that is why they were not mentioning glucagon, because the shelf-stable stuff was not out yet.

2 Likes

@Eric Unfortunately, this the only article I could find that talks about the pump. There’s a lady who’s in the juice box Facebook group who was in the first phase of trials. She says it’s an amazing pump, and like you, doesn’t understand why it’s not getting any attention. It will be interesting to see the price of glucagon skyrocket now just like insulin.

2 Likes

I am planning on running 2 pods sometime - one with glucagon and one with insulin. It won’t be automated with CGM, but at least it will be a test with both insulin and glucagon available from a pump. Unlike some of this vaporware that people have been talking about for 10 years but haven’t actually built yet!

1 Like

From regular (science) journalists I wouldn’t expect any better, but this article is from BeyondType1. Disappointing.

1 Like

Actually Basal IQ has been available for a long time and is being replaced by Control IQ (if you want). You can’t use both. Have to use one or the other.

My request for a prescription was sent to my endo on Friday, 1/31. Have to wait and see how long it takes after that. Tandem does appear to be very busy rolling out the upgrade so expecting it to take some time.

1 Like

Are you using the Loop Auto Bolus branch? I just started using it yesterday so I’m no expert but so far I’m impressed. It does the sugar surfing for you, to YOUR targets. I have mine set to 75-90 right now. I’m 80 right now. Another welcomed result is I had no spike after my run today. It could be coincidental but time will tell!

You’ll most likely get the email with the link to the training videos tomorrow. After you complete the training, you’ll get the email with the download access code within an hour. All this is predicated on your Endo getting the script submitted.

1 Like

No, I’m on the v2.0 release of the main branch. I saw in github that they were experimenting with the microbolus approach to give corrections sooner than temp basals will deliver them, but it looked like it wasn’t ready for prime time. Your comment makes it sound promising.

2 Likes

Yes, many are testing the branch = automatic-bolus now based on PR 1219.

2 Likes