Control IQ - First Day Thoughts

Well we upgraded to Control IQ last night and I have to say the first 24 hours were really great. Cody said he only touched the pump a few times, and he even got the 12 hour no touch shutoff warning message because he overslept and didn’t eat breakfast. Not bad. I was worried that he would ride high all day, but it hasn’t happened yet. If this continues to work this well I am overjoyed. In the pic you can see the trace from his first 24 hours. He hasn’t had a trace like this in a very long time, and never with this little effort.

18 Likes

That is stellar! Please keep us posted I am very interested in this technology… would love to see how the control iq handles things like delayed spikes from fatty meals etc. I hope this makes everyone’s life easier!

5 Likes

Me too Sam, me too. With Cody going off to college 1.5 years from now, I think this is the tool I was hoping for. Ability to manage without too much intervention so college can be well college, and ■■■■ diabetes. We will see how things progress, but my hopes are officially up!

7 Likes

That’s awesome! I hope it’s everything you and Cody hope for—- I would also be Very interested to hear his own perspectives on how well it works and how much easier it makes things for him directly from the horses mouth so to speak

2 Likes

Yeah, I will have him post after a week or so. That is probably when he will be trying to game the system and set the thing to sleep function for 23.9 hours a day.

4 Likes

Try 24.8… lunar cycle

3 Likes

Super cool, thanks for posting @Chris. I’ll be interested to see how control-IQ works out for you guys since we were in a similar boat of decision making deciding between going for the update or not.

:raised_hands:

2 Likes

That’s pretty awesome!! Looking forward to your next update.

2 Likes

Have you upgraded yet?

No. As of right now I don’t plan to soon, but I’m thinking maybe over the summer since it could be a really nice tool to have while on rotations. I’m really hesitant because of past not great experience w automode, because I love basal iq, and because I’m pretty happy with management at this very moment

5 Likes

I’ve heard it’s really fabulous for teenagers! For whatever reason, their insulin needs jsut seem to work well with the algorithm.

1 Like

Yeah, for Codes it has been good so far (only 1.5 days) but he hasn’t hit 200 even once (knock on wood), which we hit basically every day prior. I am excited to see a week go by and look at the difference in Clarity reports.

I’ve talked to @mikep who hasn’t been online here in a while but he’s an instant believer in it also… and not a teenager…

We’ve joked about eating half a pizza right before bed and seeing what happens… haven’t gotten that far yet !

2 Likes

Tried it with a 12oz can of coke. I usually bolus 4 units right before drinking one and my BG doesn’t go above 150. Not bolusing, gave me the same results. BG started to rise, CIQ brought it right back down. Not bolusing for a pizza would not be recommended. The pump does take care of all the delayed BG spikes that pizza brings on. You’d definitely need an initial bolus. The entire system makes life much easier and less frustrating while taking away the time usually spent dealing with BG issues. The one major point that seems to be missing from most CIQ discussion, is the ease of use. You turn it on, and let it do it’s thing.

4 Likes

That’s impressive. Tempting enough that I just caught myself asking if I was willing to trade in my Omnipod and go back to tubes. Has a seed been planted?

6 Likes

Before CIQ was finally released I had to come to terms with the same things about downloading CIQ. The 670 automode left such a strong mental and physical negative impact on me. Dexcom (for me) is reliable and accurate. I tried all of Medtronic sensors and none of them worked for me. Also, the BIQ algorithm was so amazing. Those two things helped me move forward with confidence and was ready to download as soon as it was released. I do not regret it in anyway. I’m glad I experienced the 670 because it lets me compare the reality of how drastically different they are. If it helps at all from my experience, there is nothing the same about living with 670 automode and CIQ. It’s exciting and interesting to see.

5 Likes

I so happy for your son and can’t wait to hear his progress with CIQ. I have found that Tidepool gives me the best details on CIQ actions. T-connect is good too but they each have their own useful info.

3 Likes

That’s so nice to know that you’re really enjoying control-IQ after the craziness of automode. Across the board it seems like it is very hands off, and not so attention-demanding like a lot of people experienced while using automode. I definitely am interested in getting to try control IQ one day, but I just don’t think I’m ready for a switch at the moment! I do appreciate hearing others’ experiences switching over and hope to use that to inform my choice if I do upgrade :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When does your pump warranty expire? If you hold out until you get a new pump, you can try it without the “no-going-back” thing.

If your warranty is up soon, stick with BIQ for now. When your pump warranty is up, you get a new one.

I am assuming they don’t make you send in your existing pump before they send you the new one, right? Certainly the policy is they send you the new one first, and then you return the old one.

So once you get the new one - which has CIQ - you can try it and decide which pump you want to send back. Either the old one with BIQ or the new one with CIQ.

4 Likes

That’s a pretty smart idea. I don’t think my warranty is up for a couple of years though. I was thinking I might try to see if I can switch pumps with a friend for a week to trial it out :sweat_smile:

3 Likes