Tandem Control-IQ, approved

The news release from the FDA

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-authorizes-first-interoperable-automated-insulin-dosing-controller-designed-allow-more-choices

5 Likes

:facepunch::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

1 Like

The news release from Tandem.

3 Likes

Tandem has the simulator updated to include the Control-IQ algorithm.
(At least the Apple app is updated. I didn’t check the android version.)

https://www.tandemdiabetes.com/products/t-simulator-demo-app

2 Likes

interesting that it has a black box for 6 and unders.

And Tandem already has the User Guide with Control-IQ online

2 Likes

The Bluetooth and pair function has been added to the options menu for the mobile app already.

1 Like

Thanks so much Thomas!!

You can jump to page 258 for Contol IQ details.

1 Like

So, do you have to choose between Basal IQ and Control IQ? Inquiring minds want to know.
Never mind, I read the user guide. They don’t talk about Basal IQ at all. Leading me to believe it is Control IQ or nothing, at least at the start. Good news on the FDA approval though.

3 Likes

Nice! I didn’t even think to look for a user guide already.

1 Like

I actually just received my T:slim yesterday and I have to admit I’m kinda glad I got it before they phase out Basal-IQ.

I’m interested hear from others whether Control-IQ can be manipulated to keep BG more in the 70-100 range…

2 Likes

How exciting! The above chart does make it look like it has basically the same functionality as Basal IQ in addition to the new features, no? I’d be stoked if my pump could do what that diagram shows. I think that would be life-changing.

Hopefully in eight months when my pump warranty runs out (again) this will be available in Canada.

2 Likes

@Jen control-iq has a low glucose suspend built into the algorithm but it’s not nearly as aggressive as basal-iq. Tandem did get approval for the X2 with basal-iq from Health Canada in November:

2 Likes

Yeah, Basal-IQ got approved several weeks ago (the actual t:slim got approved in the summer). I went with the YpsoPump to tide me over for a year to see how things develop (and also to try the Libre and take a financial break from funding a Dexcom). Tandem is having issues with provincial/insurance coverage (or lack thereof) in my province. Hopefully in another year or so those things will be worked out, and we may have a couple more options for pumps and looping.

2 Likes

Tandem did announce their pumps will communicate with the Libre. I don’t have any info about a timeline of when this will happen.

2 Likes

In terms of the Libre I would swag 18 months?
I am still unclear if they will be able to use the Libre 2 (still pending FDA approval) or if the integration will require the Libre 3

1 Like

Just curious. Who all is currently using the Tandem t:slim X2 and are you currently using the Basal-IQ ?

2 Likes

I currently use X2 with Basil IQ. After reading the user manual for Control IQ, I think I’m going to sit on the sidelines and see what feedback sounds like. For me I don’t think I’m going to get huge benefits from Control IQ. For example if your BS is hovering in the 130-160 range it isn’t going to adjust basil to push you down to 112. I would still have to do corrections for that. One thing I’m currious about is could I have it constantly run in sleep mode??? That might get more of what I’m looking for

For 95% of the diabetes population Control IQ is going to be awsome. It is just the 5% of us that run a tighter ship that maybe we would be happier just sticking with Basil IQ. I guess we’ll see.

5 Likes

I use Basal IQ. It definitely suspends my pump when I’m about to go low, and definitely beeps and makes my phone beep when it’s happening.

Unfortunately, it’s not aggressive enough to completely stop me from getting low BG. In the past, it was completely up to me to prevent lows and having the pump prevent maybe half of them is definitely an improvement.

I’m a little concerned that Control IQ will push my BG down and then the algorithm won’t be aggressive enough to stop it from getting too low. But I’m looking forward to trying it out.

3 Likes

In quickly reading through the User Guide, sleep mode means activity mode is not available (exclusively sleep or exercise but not both at the same time). Also in sleep mode there are no automated correction bolus only automated basal changes.

Although I could easily have gotten that wrong.

4 Likes