Tandem Control-IQ, approved

There’s nothing the user can do to make the pump more aggressive with correcting a higher than normal BG? The pump’s algorithm does nothing until the BG reaches 160 and then still acts timidly until 180. Keeping Basal-IQ is looking better and better with each new piece of info about control-iq.

2 Likes

I do not think that’s how control-IQ algorithm works - that chart can be confusing. The key word in the chart is “predicted”: dosing actions are not based on the current BG value but on the forecast of where BG is heading. While I am sure there are significant differences in prediction and dosing details, this is very similar to the algorithms in DIY closed-loop systems (Loop, OpenAPS, AndroidAPS). Of course, another difference is that everything is adjustable by the users in DIY systems. But, the thresholds in the control-IQ chart do not look unreasonable to me, and I expect the system will operate very well. If I were a Tandem X2 user, I’d not hesitate to upgrade to control-IQ. I am looking forward to hearing real-life reviews.

2 Likes

Those with poor to moderate control will no doubt benefit greatly from control-iq. I fall into the void of having good enough control where I will not benefit from control-iq. Being hypo unaware and prone to seizures from low blood sugar, I’m not willing to give up basal-iq unless I see definitive proof the low glucose suspend is as good with control-iq.

4 Likes

@Jason99
Definitely seems reasonable to let early adopters try it out and get feedback from them.

The response so far from the people who have been using it is overwhelmingly positive.

I will need to have a good discussion with my child and our Pediatric Endo as to the best approach. Ultimately as my child is older it will be their decision as to continue running Basal-IQ or upgrade to Control-IQ.

As a Parent, I would certainly find the mobile app to be extremely helpful in allowing my to remotely look over my child’s shoulder. Right now I have remote access to cgm data but being able to also see Bolus info and IOB would be extremely helpful.

The Control-IQ upgrade contains support for the mobile app however Tandem has not yet released the app. I certainly assume that Tandem will release the mobile app in a very short time frame.

1 Like

I was surprised to see the options to pair the pump with the mobile app in the simulator. The last bit of info I read about the app was that Tandem was planning to launch it alongside the t:Sport. Being able to see your daughter’s CGM and pump data remotely is fantastic.

I’m definitely sitting on the sidelines with the new update until more information is released. I just don’t want to be stuck with control-iq if I find that it’s not as good as basal-iq. I’m keeping my fingers crossed we’ll be given the option to use both algorithms and not lose access to Basal-IQ if we upgrade. At this point that seems very unlikely.

2 Likes

@Jason99 - This first version of the mobile app is READ ONLY.
No control capabilities.
The t:sport (2020) will be fully controlled from the app plus Tandem plans to offer a controller device for people who are not comfortable using their phone. So that would be the second version of the mobile app. And Tandem has not yet said if that version with control capabilities will be backported to allow control of the X2.

1 Like

When are they anticipating the read only version will be released?

I’m using Basal-IQ and love it. I used the 670G in Auto Mode and did not love it. I also used the 670G in Manual Mode and found its version of predictive suspends to be too rigid. Basal-IQ has been awesome, and although I was very skeptical about Control-IQ’s ability to perform any better than Auto Mode’s, I’ve gotten more excited since seeing some of the new details. There are enough interesting changes that it’s possible some of the main concerns that came as a result of Auto Mode’s flawed algorithm may have been addressed. For those who have struggled with hyperglycemia under the 670G regimen, there may be some relief. At the very least, it will be interesting to see what those changes look like when coupled with a much stronger sensor. In reality, Auto may have been better than how it showed. It really didn’t stand a chance piggybacking off the Guardian’s shabby performance.

That was a whole lot of opinion. I just think it’s really exciting Control-IQ is in the works, and I look forward to seeing what it’s about.

2 Likes

Unless I read the announcement from Tandem incorrectly, Basal IQ seems to be integrated in Control IQ since they discuss basal reduction\suspensions and increases based on projected Bgs up to 30 minutes out.

2 Likes

The simulator app also doesn’t have a temp rate feature that is immediately apparent. Maybe because there would be no need for one if the algo is controlling increased basal for high bgs?

1 Like

@elver The temp rate was moved under the Activity menu

2 Likes

Thanks @Jason99. I didn’t see that…now I need to go back and look…

1 Like

Thanks @Thomas. I have downloaded the user guide and am awaiting the promised email from Tandem in January with instructions for updating. So glad this is here, and hoping it works well for me.

2 Likes

I think it was moved, but I still don’t think you can actually access it when Control-IQ is turned on? Now I’ll have to go look, too, but I’d be surprised if they are allowing a temp rate in any automated delivery—with the exception of the pre-selected ones they might offer (eg. Temp Target on the 670G Auto Mode).

1 Like

No Temp Rate while Control-IQ is engaged.

YES. Got that right. :star_struck:

5 Likes

I am hopeful that the people who have had wonderful success using manual basal adjustments during exercise in recent years will continue to go with what works for them and consider just turning off Control-IQ while they are exercising.

Since you can’t do a temp rate with it, I don’t think Control-IQ can ever match their success.

I’ve seen the results, I know what people are capable of doing here with the manual and smart adjustments that they have learned.
:+1:

I think it does have the same function as Basal-IQ, but it looks like it’s more aggressive about preventing you from getting even close to a low.

In addition to suspending if you are predicted to actually go below 70, it will reduce your basal if you’re predicted to go below 112. I’d expect that might make it difficult to spend much time below 120.

1 Like

It does also have the two activity modes of Sleep and Exercise which are mutually exclusive.

• The target range absent activities is 112 ~ 160.
  • Sleep target range is 112 ~ 120 with suspend @ 30 min cgm prediction of 70.
  • Exercise target range is 140 ~ 160 with suspend @ 30 min cgm prediction of 80.

As @Mary55 says, incremental reduction between lower end of target range and the suspend value.

That’s accurate – it does work to curb your blood sugar even when you’re at 80 if it predicts you’ll be 160 or above within a certain time frame. So the idea is that it’s not going to correct for a predicted 145 mg/DL in an hour; it’s not just going to sit there timidly until you hit 160 mg/DL and then ramp up…

1 Like

@Mary55 my son was in a trial and we did not experience it as preventing all drops below 112 mg/DL. He spent most of his time low because the key parameter they use to tune BG – your total daily dose – determines your ISF, and that doesn’t change so quickly. Anyways, the point being that I wouldn’t assume you will never hit 112 or below. Often you’ll go below 112. IF the targets could be reached perfectly all the time, they would aggressively target normal blood sugar. The 112 is because there are error bars on hitting that number most of the time and those error bars probably reach from 150 to 70.

3 Likes