Tandem Control-IQ, approved

Hi TiaG, that sounds exciting to have been in one of the trials - thanks for sharing your experience!

Am I understanding correctly that Control-IQ determines your ISF automatically based on total daily dose? I didn’t realize that… I should really read that user manual!

In your experience, did Control-IQ reduce basal to increase BG if numbers were stable but significantly <112?

1 Like

Control-iq has a fixed insulin duration time of 5 hours? The pump is under the impression that insulin on board is lasting way longer than it really is? This makes no sense to me why they’d lock a setting like this.

2 Likes

@Jason99 - Yeah, I saw that also and was wondering about that.
We use Fiasp and it is in and out faster so have the duration set to 2-1/2 hrs.
Doubling it is a big difference for subsequent boluses.

2 Likes

I have a theory… which may be no good…

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb
Give it up (your theory - ie let’s hear it)
This is the time for theories and speculation.

Better than Netflix.

:grin:

1 Like

This parameter is just plain stupid. We’re all using different insulins with varying peak times and tails. Locking us out from changing the IOB time is ridiculous.

1 Like

Might not be, but it is free. :grin:

So—and this is one of my old 670G-rooted numbers—the first thing that came to mind was the fact that this IS customizable in Auto Mode on the 670g. One can adjust it down to as short a time as 2.5 hours. It was also a setting that Medtronic “unofficially” recommended people try to tweak when they started to get frustrated with high blood sugar. “Officially” they would say these settings would have nothing to do with the size of the micro boluses (which defined how aggressive auto mode could be), but “unofficially” they wouldn’t slap any wrists if someone wanted to crank it up. In reality, cranking that setting gives auto more power than maybe what is safe… which is a long way of saying that it is my theory that they couldn’t guarantee the safety of that freedom.

Now, with that being said, 5 hours is so conservative it’s unbelievable, but maybe it’s the baseline they want so that when people start adjusting other settings, they’re avoiding the incredibly dangerous potential for an automated delivery that is insulin stacking. The vast majority of settings changes occurring on the 670 are done in order to make it more aggressive, but at some point, success can be achieved exponentially… whether you need that insulin or not.

I also don’t think we’ve been to the moon. So there’s that. :woman_shrugging:

I have a selfie of being there.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use aggressive and 670 in the same sentence. It’s a fact that insulin only lasts so long in our system. Everyone processes the insulin differently, which is why the IOB is adjustable on every pump. I know my humalog will last about 4 hours, why would I want this automated system to calculate all my basal rate adjustments and boluses off of false data? I’ve been a diabetic a long time and have used humalog since it was released. On this particular point, I know better than the pump how long the insulin will last. Why is Tandem now telling me I can’t change a setting that I’ve had customized on every pump I’ve had for the last 20 years?

1 Like

How about no extended Bolus greater than two hours.

Or no temp basal.

And the body weight and TDD Parms.

Point being there is a whole lot we don’t know. It is fun to speculate about it all but IMHO this is going to be one of those things that has to be tried to understand how it works.

Basal-IQ had very simple and easily understood rules.

Control-IQ is magnitudes more complex than Basal-IQ.

1 Like

I’ve seen it. Looks totally photoshopped. Next time, wear some clothes

2 Likes

Ha ha ha

You clearly been going on THOSE sites again.

:rofl:

2 Likes

it did when he was low. But that still didn’t mean he spent a bunch of time over 112. What wound up happening is that it was giving zero basal for large chunks of the day.

A change from Basal-IQ that will take a bit of getting used to:

Extended Bolus will continue when Control-IQ has suspended the basal due to low BG.

Concurrent with the launch of Control-IQ will also be the launch of our new mobile application, which is particularly exciting as is the foundation of our digital health strategy. The first generation of the app will benefit patients by allowing our t:slim X2 to wirelessly upload data from their pump in CGM to our t:connect management application.

This feature is meaningful to our customers and their healthcare providers as it provides easier and more regular access to pump and glucose information. This software will also allow for our customers to use their mobile phone as a secondary display which will provide them access to their pump information, including alerts, without having to directly access their pump. We will have a list of additional features and capabilities that we plan to rollout for this app in stages over time with our ultimate goal of implementing full control for t:sport.

In terms of Pediatrics, the initial FDA approval for Control-IQ is age 14 and above.

Our pediatric trial that’s intended to lower the age indication for Control-IQ to people aged 6 and above is now fully enrolled, and we are on track for filing our supporting regulatory submission in the first quarter of next year.

I would think that by setting our weight to a higher number, and total daily Insulin higher, then letting the system pull out basal as we keep trending on the lower side of 112, we should be able to make the system work for us.
I really dislike the idea that we cannot change the IOB to less! I use 3:30 hours for Fiasp, and this part really makes a difference for me!

1 Like

@Thomas Unless I’m reading that incorrectly, there is not an option to remotely see a loved ones pump info remotely when the app launches?

The weight and total daily dose parameters don’t make any sense to me either. The pump is supposed to do everything in its power to keep the bg at 112. What the hell does my weight and total daily dose have to do with it? I couldn’t tell you my TDD if my life depended on it.

That is not definitive. I recall them talking about caregivers seeing data and such and tried to find the exact quote and when it was said and all that but just couldn’t find it. That part (caregiver follower) really is the easy part once you have everything else in place so it would be quite disappointing if that does not end up making the first cut.

I expect we will know when it is released and not before.