Tandem Control-IQ, approved

I agree, it would be easy to implement, hopefully they do include that feature. Any news how their going to rollout the update in regards to losing basal-iq after updating the pump?

The pump right now probably logs the TDD now. I now the TDD data is easy to see after I upload the pump to Diasend. The User Guide has some blurbs about how the TDD is used. Paraphrasing from memory, the TDD is a key input to determine your maximum basal rate when the algorithm is increasing it. The User Guide then gets a little confusing as it says it uses the actual TDD from the pump logs once the pump is running but then also says the TDD parameter is still important and used.

The weight on the other hand I could find no mention of HOW it is used in the User Guide. The ISF is in the personal profile and the simulator shows it being able to be changed so it does not make sense for the weight to replace that. I don’t in the simulator or in the User Guide where the weight comes into play. The User Guide does state something about you being able to change the weight parm when you see your Doc and I presume this is because it is just not feasible to weight yourself at home.

1 Like

Every indication is the Control-IQ and Basal-IQ do NOT reside together on the pump.

Or did I misunderstand the question?

That’s my understanding as well. I was hoping they’d at least let you revert back to basal-iq if the user doesn’t like control-iq.

I did call and ask Tandem Tech Support on that and they said No you can not revert.

I expect the definitive answer will not come until somebody actually tries it.

But it sounds like a No to me.

The tdd is accessible in the pump history. I’m not understanding why this is so important for control-iq. This is not Information I’m interested in or have ever paid attention to.

TDD is easy enough to say you are using a little more than normal.
And weight, is basically going back to the sliding scale system? Not entire sure, but when I looked it up, they were saying .4 to .6 units per KG of body weight.
So, by saying your are heavier than you are, the system will think it needs to have a higher basal rate than what would be needed for 112.

That makes the decision to update to control-iq that much easier. I’m not giving up basal-iq for an algorithm that sounds like it’s a pain in the ass and doesn’t give me basic control over the pump.

Weight should have nothing to do with it. My pump knows my ISF, that is all the info it needs to make corrections

Where did you see this? I tried to find anything about weight but could not find this or anything that looked relevant.

They are trying to figure out a maximum basal/correction bolus rate, they use TDD and weight.

Again, weight has nothing to do with it. ISF, basal rates that the user programs into the pump are what matters. The stupid thing is already telling me my insulin lasts an hour longer than it actually does, now it’s taking my weight into the equation of how much insulin I should get? They should have added 4 calibrations a day and called this the 670 2.0

Nothing about weight. This is from the User Guide:

When Control-IQ technology predicts that your glucose value will be above the upper limit of the target range 30 minutes in the future, but the maximum rate of insulin delivery has been reached, Control-IQ technology stops increasing the insulin delivery rate. The maximum insulin delivery rate is a calculated value that is dependent on an individual’s Correction Factor setting (found in the active Personal Profile), the Total Daily Insulin estimated by Control-IQ technology based on actual total daily insulin values, and the current insulin on board (IOB).

Total Daily Insulin: Once you have used Control-IQ technology, it will maintain and use the actual total insulin delivered, including the adjustments made to basal and all types of boluses while using the System. It is important to update the Total Daily Insulin setting in the Control-IQ screen when you visit your healthcare provider. This value is used for the 2-hour maximum insulin alert.

““Control-IQ technology cannot be
turned on unless Total Daily Insulin is
entered. The Total Daily Insulin value is
used by Control-IQ technology to
calculate the maximum insulin delivery
rate and to maintain a safe and effective
increase in insulin dose””

It can only dose 60% for a correction, but if it thinks it can give a larger dose, it will do a better job for corrections.

And I bet they are calculating the range of basal/corrections with weight in mind.
If you search for “weight” in the user guide, it comes up 22 times (a few of these are for how it measures the bolus rate.) It obviously thinks this is an important factor, and will not let you run Control IQ without it.

lol - I did. But I did not find anything relevant. Unless I missed it which is always possible.

Completely agree. But I still do not see anything documented about HOW the weight is used.

yes, thats a glitch in my opinion. If you’re going low, why wouldn’t it just turn off the extended bolus and resume it later??

The Control IQ system is giving control of a basic factor to healthcare providers and removing it from patients’ control. That alone will keep me from uploading Control IQ. I do NOT trust my health provider to tinker with my insulin pumping.

1 Like

Oops, sorry. I was stating the dosing off of weight statistics off of other sources, NOT tandem’s.
You didn’t miss it, I was unclear.

1 Like

Funny, it says for your healthcare provider to change it, but it is a manual setting that WE ALL can change.
And I agree, I don’t let anyone else meddle with my pump. Period.
My endo is great, she will only suggest, but NEVER even suggests that she change it.