Spiking from Coffee/ Caffeine SOS

I love cold brew coffee (it’s my go to method); haven’t noticed any difference in how it effects my blood sugars, but it’s delicious and really cuts down on the acid so easier for people with sensitive stomachs.

1 Like

I tried cold brew coffee yesterday. It is delicious and will be my morning coffee from now on. I didn’t drink the equal amount of water and it had a negligible effect on my BG. That’s a plus for me as I really don’t like water first thing in the morning.

3 Likes

Anybody who gets the spike from coffee ever try a caffeine pill to try and confirm if it is strictly the caffeine that does the spike or if it is more complicated than that?

2 Likes

I suspect for some people it may not be either the coffee or the caffeine.

For some people, they have coffee in the morning, and their BG spikes in the morning when they get out of bed from dawn phenomenon. So those people might just assume it is the coffee.

Not saying this is the case for everyone, but just from some people who may have a coinciding rise in the morning and just assume it is the coffee…

2 Likes

i do not have DP. i am low when i wake up, and i eat a hearty bfast. for whatever reason, i even need insulin for decaf. its got to be something else in the coffee that spikes me. i can have diet sodas w/ caffeine and not spike at all. so coffee is still a mystery for me. :cry:

1 Like

Thomas, read my last post :wink:

Daisy Mae

Consider that a cup of coffee can have almost 3x the amount of caffeine that a diet soda has. Point being - 1 cup of coffee and 1 diet soda are not an equivalent comparison.

Thomas’ suggestion to try a caffeine pill might help you figure it out, to see if it is the caffeine or something else.

1 Like

i dont mean to sound like an idiot, but what the H is cold brewed coffee as opposed to regular coffee?

You can make strong coffee and pour over ice (like making iced tea) or you can infuse cold water overnight on coarse coffee grounds, which makes a strong concentrate that is less acidic. :coffee:️:smiley_cat:

I am not a coffee expert. That’s CatLady.

But I know that when the Japanese make tea, they don’t pour boiling water directly over the tea leaves because that ruins the flavor, it makes it bitter. So they cool the water a little bit after boiling it, before they pour it over the tea leaves.

So the idea of cold brew coffee is to use cold water instead of boiling water, for much the same reason.

Another coffee expert is Walter White.

2 Likes

I hear that Walter knows how to make other things as well…

1 Like

@daisymae there are a ton of other things in coffee that have interesting effects on the body and not all have been very well studied. Things like cafestol and kahweol (raises cholesterole), theobromine and theanine (mildly psychoactive if you eat enough, also a blood vessel dilator). So I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s something else in the coffee that has the effect.

2 Likes

Cold brew is made by infused cold water with coarsely ground coffee, for a long period of time (you can leave it overnight or longer). It produces a coffee concentrate, which can be diluted with water, ice and/or milk. It can also be heated and served hot. It’s less acidic and has somewhat of a different flavor profile (though still tastes like coffee) than hot brewed coffee, because heat changes some of the compounds and causes some to release into the water that don’t with cold brewing. It’s become a major trend in coffee in the past few years—Starbucks and even Dunkin Donuts now carry it (although I recommend going to a local independent coffee shop to check it out if you’ve got one in your area). Or you can make it yourself—all you need is a container to steep it in and a way to filter it (a french press also works). You can also buy premade cold brew from various companies in grocery stores (usually close to refrigerated milk).

I spike from coffee, and it’s distinctly different from dawn phenomenon. I assume it’s caffeine, because I’ve never noticed it with decaf. It also decreased for me the more I regularly drank caffeinated coffee, which makes sense. The biology underlying spiking from caffeine also makes sense, given stimulants should result in the liver releasing more glucose.

2 Likes

i think you’re onto something. also, why do i spike from decaf as well? it cant just be the caffeine. i wonder…

There are SO many compounds in coffee–the chemistry is quite complex! But I have seen several articles on the benefits of coffee drinking including better insulin sensitivity in T2s.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-coffee-health-20170710-story.html

@daisymae, have you had a chance to try cold-brewed coffee yet?

FYI Yours truly is off to coffee heaven (Portland, OR) for a few days. :coffee:️:sunglasses:

2 Likes

not yet :anguished:

Mmmmmm Stumptown… jealous!

1 Like

i have family in portland or. i know about their coffee; they used to send it to my mom :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for posting instructions. I ordered supplies to make my own. My daughter tried cold brew yesterday, and now it is her “new favorite”. She does not drink any hot beverages. Sam’s club has a Steep 32oz three pack, for $9 (with $3 off for Business Plus members). I bought that, and it is very good, but still cheaper to make my own.

1 Like

My wonderful wife saw my post on this thread and I now have a larger cold brew unit. I think she is one in a billion. :cupid:

6 Likes