Picked up my Afrezza!

…but I’m too chicken to try it yet. :roll_eyes: I was at 81 before lunch, which I was afraid would be too low for a first try, in case it dropped me any. Plus it has all these warnings about decreased lung function observed during clinical trials, which I was already mildly concerned about before I even know it was a legitimate concern. Ugh.

3 Likes

Nice!!! I understand the apprehension but it really is amazing stuff. Start off with 4u cartridges until you feel comfortable with it. There will be trial and error, but I have not induced a low using it yet and have been on it for over 2 years.

3 Likes

Great news. I was a bit cautious initially. My first use was a high carb meal that I hadn’t enjoyed for a while because of spikes in the past. I haven’t noticed any lung issues/impacts.

You’ll get more and more comfortable with each use.

2 Likes

Thanks, y’all! I’m making stir fry over rice with egg rolls tonight, so figure that’s a good time to try it. :joy: I’ll let y’all know how it goes!

4 Likes

Give us an update later if you can plz! Very interested ink people’s experiences with this.

I still remember my first meal with it after following @mikep blogging about it. It’s a life changer for an insulin dependent diabetic that’s for sure

3 Likes

Well, I guess I didn’t need to be too worried about lows. :grimacing: Started at 90, took 4 units, and now at the 2 hour mark, I’m at 154.

But considering what I ate…still not that bad. :laughing: Just wish I had a CGM so I could see if I’m still going up to know if I can correct just by walking or need to take another dose!

6 Likes

I want to be eating what you’re eating tonight! That looks DELICIOUS!

3 Likes

Oh man, I agree. Mouth watering.

2 Likes

Thanks, y’all! It was as much of an experiment as the Afrezza, which I’m currently in love with - took another dose with a 20 carb snack (hubby asked me to as he was afraid I’d drop too much otherwise), and an hour later I’m at 85! I normally would only be down in the 120s at 1 hr with a Novolog correction and a brisk walk after that kind of meal/spike (and without the yummy snack, haha). This will definitely take some experimenting to get things just right, but it’s looking promising.

5 Likes

And ending the night at 106 (like to be around 100 going to bed) after a small snack an hour ago. Tonight was definitely a success in my book, even with improvements needing to be made.

7 Likes

@Pianoplayer7008, this is GREAT! And, btw, the food looks really awesome too :slight_smile:

We are also very interested in your experiences w Afrezza and hope you will keep on reporting. Cheering for you here!

2 Likes

I will, especially if I end up at a place where it’s working like I’ve heard from others - I will be too excited not to share! I tried it with breakfast this morning, which is my most insulin resistant part of the day, and still went from 80 to 133 at 1hr - not bad, but still not great. It’s hard to figure out dosage with it being so different going from the straightforward I:CR injections!

3 Likes

What was not great at going to 133. Did it max out there or keep going?

lol - Seriously. Bad breakfast for us is spiking over 300. Breakfast spikes are the worst ever not to mention setting you up for a very rough day.

In general we find a 45~50 minute pre-bolus (Humalog) to be very effective for breakfast.

@Pianoplayer7008, this is all so exciting! Thanks for giving us an up-close look at how you’re adjusting to it. For those of us coming behind you (eventually), this is great to watch! Hope you get it dialed in quickly and that it proves to be a wonderful tool for you.

3 Likes

Success stories of members helps those of us who don’t use, but may want to use, Afrezza one day for ourselves or our children. Very exciting to hear how people are having overall wonderful experiences with this “wonder drug?”

3 Likes

LOL! Keep in mind I’m honeymooning still, so tight control is easier for me. I try to keep below 140 at all times, and my “ideal” rise from any snack or meal is max 30 mg/dl; that’s how I gauge if I’ve dosed correctly, so with a 53 mg/dl rise, that’s a bit much for my current goals. Plus, I have heard that Afrezza is supposed to act differently in that it should prevent a big rise at all (anyone else on afrezza care to comment on that is welcome). I watched a video where a guy ate ice cream and a Coke and only went from 90 to 107. :open_mouth:

ETA: I also don’t have a CGM, so that’s my best guess at how high it went, checking at 1 and 2 hrs post.

2 Likes

:blush: I’m still honeymooning…bad breakfasts for me have only been 170s-200.

1 Like

This brings up an interesting question. Is this due to honeymooning, or is it possible that it falls in a YDMV type scenario?
Said another way, are bad breakfasts in the fully progressed person with diabetes always going to head 300+? I’m still trying to figure this out, since I have no way of measuring when the honeymoon is over once and for all.

1 Like