How much insulin should I still have on board 2 hours after big injection?

LOVE the injections… it’s really going very, VERY well, but I did make a little mistake this morning. So far things are okay, but I’d like to see where I stand. My pump would usually just do all of these calculations for me, so I’m not really sure how… If I did a straight Novolog injection this morning, say, of 12 units, and have probably used up (in coffee :hugs:) MAYBE 4 units… how much of that 8 units would still be there 2 hours after injecting?

I know you guys can’t give me a specific number. An explanation would be great. Even a guess. :smiley: Like a candy jar guess. :thinking:

Coffee is the greatest antidote to insulin ever for me, but if I do any more than one more cup… this is going to turn into a CNN headline.

2 Likes

If you look at the “standard” graph of action, you would say about 40% of it would be left i.e. 4 units.

However, each person isn’t standard, so it would vary a bit either way depending on your individual response and factors. But 4 - 5 units would be a good guess.

3 Likes

Thank you. I was guessing 3 at this point, but that was TOTALLY guessing. I think I’ll treat myself to an applesauce. :hugs:

1 Like

2 applesauces… so a grand total of 3 (1/2) cups of coffee and 2 applesauces… so far. I’ll have to be more careful to pay attention to which which pen I’m injecting 12 units. :grin:

2 Likes

For you or anyone else who does this in the future, the very simple thing is to just eat whatever corresponds to the amount you took.

Like, pretend it was not a mistake, pretend you were bolusing 12 units for a meal. Eat whatever amount of pancakes or cereal or waffles that would equate to 12 units if you were dosing for them.

3 Likes

These insulin vial sleeves are helpful to keep track of everything. They sell them in different colors, and I also wrote the names on each.

Once the colors get into your brain, you will automatically grab the right one.

And not only do they make it easy to grab the correct vial, they also protect them if you drop the vial!

Different sizes and colors, available on Amazon:

4 Likes

I haven’t read any of the replies yet. But when I did MDI, I used to just divide by 50% at two hours to get a rough estimate of the insulin on board.

5 Likes

Okay. I can remember that. I kind of just jumped in the other day without too much of a plan… probably could’ve brushed up on a few of these rules first. :smiley:

This is awesome. And also an example of how you’re not really a human being. Maybe I’m missing something, but do other people rotate 6 different kinds of insulin and keep them all snuggled up in koozies? :smiley: You’re an inspiration, Eric.

So I actually made my mistake with my pens. Had two in front of me, chatting away with my mom, picked up the novolog and gave myself 12 units at a blood sugar of 80, and almost had a heart attack. My mom had her back to me, and i realized what I had done, and I couldn’t think. Deer in headlights. And she was like, “Nick? Did you hear me? Did you do your levemir?”

Yes and no. That was my answer. But only inside my head because she would’ve dropped dead on the spot. :smiley:

Anyway, it all turned out fine… actually it turned out quite well. Ended with a final tally of WAY too much coffee, 2 applesauces, 6 cookies, and a dance party. A REALLY HIGH ENERGY dance party. You know the story If You Give a Mouse a Cookie? It was like that but if you give Nicky 12 units of Novolog. My kids LOVE the new pumpless me.

I’m ordering koozies. Then I’ll need some vials to put in them, but I’ll get on that this week.

4 Likes

Did my bolus at 8:40… and handled it. :star_struck:

4 Likes

My beer gets jealous of my insulin…
:beer:

5 Likes

:rofl: 24 hours… just 24 hours inside your head.

1 Like

You wouldn’t last, Nicky. None of us would.

6 Likes

:rofl: probably be damaged goods if we did. :grin:

1 Like

Wow that’s interesting. I find it can accelerate my dawn phenomenon a bit or maybe intensify a stress high slightly, but otherwise I don’t really notice any effect from drinking coffee and have never bolused for it.

1 Like

Man, I have so many threads to catch up on around here. Injections? You go, @Nickyghaleb. I need to go read your 500 word count posts on other threads that I’m assuming exist which explain what I missed.

3 Likes

500 words does not guarantee an explanation of anything… that’s a warm up.

Wait… are YOU getting in digs on word length??? :smiley:

3 Likes

I was trying to sort this out… the exact reason I have to bolus for coffee. At Eric’s suggestion, I tried a 5 Hour Energy test to see whether or not it was the caffeine I was bolusing for. I was really surprised that I didn’t get a rise.

For now, I’m just drinking it and letting the mystery remain. I’ll get back to trying to solve it as soon as I solve the 16 other mysteries I’m working on. It’s definitely a task in the morning stopping it from taking me on a ride.

1 Like

Please verify it’s the coffee and not the combo of coffee AND waking up. Have you done that already?

1 Like

I’m a little behind… but I swear I’ve done a bunch of experiments over the last 6 months to understand auto mode that included waking and not having coffee… I don’t get that rise. I really don’t. I think. :wink:

The thing I haven’t done yet, , is try black coffee … it makes me sad to think of, the taste, but I suppose that might be the logical next experiment? I could do the waking one, too.

I’m sick. It finally hit me tonight, and I’m hurting. So is my blood sugar… I had some kitten drama today, and it made me mess up something with my food, and then I was too sick to do my usual exercise to keep my blood sugar down, and now I’m just hovering… blah.