Spiking from Coffee/ Caffeine SOS

I need to write a thread about a red Mazda Miata. I hope my wife will see it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure that would do it. I had been searching Ford Explorers on the internet the day before she sent me to the Ford dealer to buy one :grinning:

1 Like

She must have the NSA bug your laptop :slight_smile:

1 Like

Red Mazda Miata reminds me of a story.

When my wife and I were first married (before any children), in 1999, we were living in Texas where I was stationed. I had gotten out of the Army and we decided to sell everything we owned (home, possessions, everything) and move to CA where I was to become a famous movie star. We traveled from Copperas Cove, TX to Burbank, CA and moved into an old ladies basement. Guess how we traveled from TX to CA? Yepā€¦a red Mazda Miata. WITH a cat (in his kitty cage) in tow, in the plastic window behind our heads.

We almost ran out of gas in New Mexico, but fortunately did not (like 500 miles between gas stations it seems.)

Needless to sayā€¦I didnā€™t become a star. :smiley: I had lots of auditions, but was told the same thingā€¦ā€œGreat stage presence, but we stopped making Westerns years agoā€¦get speech lessons.ā€

So I hightailed it back to TX and re-joined the Army for another 5 years until I actually had my head screwed on right.

lol

4 Likes

That was a GREAT story!

I have a slightly similar story about my red RX7 (before it was chopped in Milwaukeeā€¦), that does not involve LA. Iā€™ll have to tell you sometime :slight_smile:

1 Like

Soā€¦back to spiking and coffe: I have to report that 3 times on my recent trip I had dreadful coffee spikes!! Oy!! I think in all 3 cases the person who did the brewing made it much stronger than I normally do. :flushed:

1 Like

oh, so sorry to hear about your coffee mishaps. but was your trip fun? thats all that counts, really :wink:

@CatLady I just donā€™t understand the coffee spikes. I had a 16oz brewed coffee at 7:30am, a12oz cold brewed at 11:30am, and am sitting here at the car wash right now having another 12oz cup.

The highest my Bg had been today is 110 and I havenā€™t taken any bolus insulin.

Why does drinking coffee not effect me in the least, and it affects other PWDā€™s so dramatically? This is certainly a mysterious disease.

5 Likes

and whats the hype about cold brewed not spiking PWD? makes absolutely no sense to me. whats the difference? i even spike with decaf. and instant decaf at that :wink:

1 Like

Got me! I had 2 servings of cold brew this afternoon and not a whimper from my BG!

1 Like

I stopped spiking much from coffee once I started having it very regularly, so I think whatever reaction was driving that was mostly extinguished. When I used to have coffee some days but not all days, it was very noticeable. I still think it was the caffeine for me, which would also explain why that happened (it stopped once I became caffeine-dependent and my system essentially expected the caffeine), but I get that that doesnā€™t fit the coffee-spike pattern for everyone. I really donā€™t think cold brew or not made a difference for me, but Iā€™m not 100% sure.

2 Likes

Makes sense, once you get used to a stimulus, the reaction to it is no longer as distinct.

On this forum, it seems that people that drink coffee regularly (like you or @docslotnick) do not have a spike.

1 Like

but is there any less caffeine in cold brew? i mean what exactly is the difference?

so, with that train of thought, if i want to drink coffee every morning, i should expect a spike in the beginning and then that spike will pass?

I donā€™t know for sure. It is possible some people are just genetically different in how their body can process caffeine. Or it might be that they get used to it.

But it would seem to be a ā€œreasonableā€ theory that your body would spike less and less over the years, as you became accustomed to it.

Like for someone who has never had alcohol, 1 beer might give them a buzz, but for a person who drinks frequently, a single beer doesnā€™t do much for them.

And like for you - years ago swimming 30 minutes straight might have been a challenge, but now it seems like nothing to you. In the same way, I imagine it is possible your body can adapt.

Sorry, my answer is not very ā€œscienceyā€.

Good question! I will try to find out.

Dark vs. light roast does not appear to make a difference:

How you make hot coffee does contribute to caffeine content. Boiling (ā€œcowboyā€) coffee and percolating coffee extract the most caffeine. According to coffeechemistry.com, other factors make a big difference, including coffee type, grind, water temperature, brew time, etc. Also, there are over 1,000 compounds in coffee so something other than caffeine could be the culprit.

4 Likes

@daisymae, the concensus is that cold brew has about the same amount or maybe just a tad more caffeine than drip coffee.

http://www.thekitchn.com/does-cold-brew-coffee-have-more-caffeine-than-hot-coffee-221222

2 Likes

Thereā€™s also a difference between fast- and slow-metabolizers of caffeine, which may also affect who spikes from it.

2 Likes

It may also not be from the caffeine but rather something else in the coffee.

1 Like

i used to drink coffee, way back when, but i dont remember ever noticing any spike. but as i said, that was way back when, and i was not so in tune with my BGs. now i am a control freak and hate to be the smallest bit out of my comfort zone. i am still looking for that magic number ( 10gms, 15gms, 20grams ??? )