Spiking from Coffee/ Caffeine SOS

For me, my coffee spike (which used to be very noticeable) became much less pronounced only once I became caffeine-dependent, to the point where I feel off if I don’t have my morning coffee. That was definitely not a purposeful strategy—just happened as the result of my residency and needing to be at work early every morning for longer days. That said, I’m still pretty sure for me it was the caffeine and that cold brew worked the same as regular brewed methods, so I’m not sure whether you’re experiencing the same response or not.

2 Likes

And perhaps a difference in numbers of recepters for caffeine or other compounds??

Likely, I say that because some diabetics report spiking with decaf. While decaf has some caffeine, it is much lower than regular. If someone here has a good reproducible spike, it would be cool to try it with decaf and see if it is the same or lower.

i spike from decaf, too. havent a clue why. i can drink diet sodas and not have any spike at all. there has got to be some other ingredient or factor in the coffee itself, and perhaps not necessarily the caffeine that is causing the spike.

1 Like

So being intolerant to caffeine, I’ve longed for something to give me an energy boost, particularly now that I have a 2 yr and a 4 mo old to care for. I think I’ve found it! Crio Bru, roasted cocoa beans: https://www.criobru.com

Anyone else ever tried it? I can’t say how it compares to coffee, as I never liked coffee before I stopped drinking caffeine, and I didn’t have diabetes then, either, to comment on the effect on my blood sugar, but might be worth a try for those looking for a coffee/caffeine alternative.

1 Like

I have not, but here are the Amazon reviews (most are good but not all):

[EDIT] Many blogs have also reviewed it. Some of them may or may not take compensation from products they endorse. I do trust Boingboing on that count:

The one reviewed by Boingboing is the one I tried! Definitely don’t expect it to taste like hot cocoa (haha); it’s much more watered down. But still tastes ok for the energy boost it gives. Funnily enough, my husband told me this morning he blended some of it with his coffee this morning, and he said the energy boost from combining caffeine + theobromine was way too much - he was jittery from it. :laughing: This is the guy who in college would drink several pots of coffee a day (and still drinks a lot), so it’s not like he’s sensitive to caffeine in any way.

1 Like

okay, so its been 2 years now since i began this thread. so much has happened, and it seems like it was just yesterday. but, i wanted to report that if i have a cup of black, cold brewed coffee, not only do i NOT spike, my BGs go down!!!

it must have been the 6 packets of Splenda and the 1/4C of cream i was putting in my coffee that was spiking me :rofl:

yours truly, DM

10 Likes

So what you’re saying, @daisymae, is it might be the half cup of creamer… :thinking:

Talk to me, daisymae… tell me something I want to hear.

1 Like

Glad you enjoy you coffee! Black (like my soul) is the best way to enjoy coffee! /s

2 Likes

I like my coffee like my women.

Jk, sorta,

I can’t stand coffee with anything added to it… just ruins the whole experience, how do you know if it’s good if it’s drowned out in sweeteners and cream? Just don’t get it…

1 Like

yeah, i admit it. half a container of cream and 5 Splenda’s just make it taste like a desert.

i have gotten used to having it black, but have you ever had all that yummy stuff in a cup of coffee? its devine :rofl: !

but you probably dont want to hear this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

If it means I can have my coffee and drink it, too… I want to hear this. I feel a black… cough cough… coffee… :nauseated_face:… experiment coming…

1 Like

try the Cold Brew. it tastes much better than regular coffee. i swear.

3 Likes

I think cold brewing brings out the chocolate undertones in coffee. :yum:

3 Likes

I noticed something similar in my coffee experiences; basically anything with splenda packets actually.

Since they use dextrose (glucose) and maltodextrin as fillers for Splenda, the carbs can add up when you start doing multiple packets. For a while, I was special ordering the splenda tablets, which don’t have the filler sugars, but they are a little pricey compared to the packets, so now I just bolus for my 6 packet coffees. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

if i am making my decaf in the am, i use 5 packets of Splenda (ive cut back :wink:) with a gallon of 1/2 & 1/2. i drink 2C (which is the size of my mug), and i need to account for 20gms of carbs!!!

if i drink black coffee (either caffinated or defac) i dont need to bolus at all, and it actually brings my BG down.

1 Like

Nitro cold brew?

It’s from Starbuck’s. I buy it at the local corner store. it comes in a dark brown glass bottle. i buy the unsweetened black coffee. it does come in flavored coffee. but i dont think its “Nitro.” wait a sec…i’ll go open the fridge and take a look.

Nope. it’s not NITRO.just plain old Starbucks Cold Brew.

These cold brew popsicles are yummy and only 6g carbs!

https://www.goodpops.com/flavors/coldbrew-coffee/

2 Likes