Sous Vide - What should I make

So, after listening to @Sam I put a Sous Vide water circulator on my wish list, and low and behold it has arrived.

Other than making the pretty common Steaks, Short Ribs, and Ribs, what else is good made in a Sous Vide water bath? Extra points if it is adventurous and tasty.

2 Likes

An elk backstrap…

2 Likes

That sounds tasty. What temp do you go to 120 degrees F?

Rack of lamb is one of my favorites. Minimize the seasonings to salt and pepper and any fresh herbs you like. It will not disappoint.

I prefer kosher salt and course pepper and lots of both

You can find great picture guides of lamb temps by googling rack of lamb temperature

2 Likes

130 degrees
3-4 hours is what I like…

Also lamb shanks for a full 24+ hours will blow your mind

Finish everything in frying pan with a high smoke point oil

You’re going to love cooking this way. I’m excited for you

2 Likes

Invest in a splatter shield screen for your frying pan if you don’t already have one… it’s a necessary partner

2 Likes

This looks good:

2 Likes

Also great is pork tenderloin don’t over cook it. Look up new guidelines on pork temps

Do You already have a vacuum sealer? It really is not necessary you can use gallon freezer bags just as well

3 Likes

Yes we have a vacuum sealer for other reasons. Will come in handy, especially since we modified it to not shut off when sealing wet items.

Not really worried about a splatter shield, although we own one for bacon, we will mostly be stepping out on the back porch and putting the crust on using a cast iron skillet on our grill.

2 Likes

Yeah, we don’t worry about temps so much, Pork has been safe for a long time in the US. We usually cook steaks to 123 - 125 on the grill, pork goes to 130-135, only ground meat goes to 165.

2 Likes

Yes it does. Looking forward to trying with some elk in the freezer.

1 Like

Which model did you get? Aside from creature comforts I’d imagine they’re all essentially functionally identical… but still curious

2 Likes

I got the Wancle SVC001, didn’t need or want any app tracking my cooking choices. It is simple and straightforward.

1 Like

That looks like a dandy. Ours is the kitchen gizmo model… there are some things I don’t love about it like the button sequences and sensitivities…not sure that I’d recommend it… but I can tell you it’s produced some phenomenal meals— I do like that it’s generally cylindrical profile takes up less storage space

Agree WiFi/ apps and all of that is not worthwhile

1 Like

apparently those sous vide egg bites at Starbucks are popular and you can recreate them at home using various recipes on the Internet. This is all word of mouth though – I have not actually tasted them.

1 Like

Any protein that dries out quickly in cooking is perfect for sous vide – I especially like rabbit which always turns out moist, as well as things like duck, quail, pigeon, pheasant breast, guinea fowl, and the already mentioned venison. For whatever reason I don’t like chicken done sous vide – I find it has an unpleasant sponginess. Some vegetables benefit – sweet potato doesn’t get gummy and okra doesn’t go slimy. Custards turn out silky if you don’t have success with traditional methods.

Of course you can’t make a true pan sauce. You can brown meat before or after sous-viding for flavour but you won’t get a long-developed fond in your pan, which means adapting a recipe. And you have to get your flavourings right from the start because you can’t adjust as you go, and you’re limited to what you can add just before serving. This can be tricky with any flavourings that need to cook, such as curry mixes and pastes, or flavours that magnify when cooked, such as bay.

Have fun!

3 Likes

They are delicious! Tho’ according to the nutrition info page there’s 9 grams of carbs.

1 Like

weird!! They’re tiny and an English muffin has about 20 – do you think it’s added sugar or just a lot of milk?

1 Like

Cottage cheese and rice starch. I only bolus for half…

1 Like

Wow that is a lot of carbs, for something that is easily made in the oven, i.e. an egg in a muffin tin with some veggies and cheese mixed in. I guess the rice starch makes them so they are easy to handle.