Shrimp Steak Packs

We didn’t have milkshakes this weekend but I did do up some tasty vittles for the fam, cooked on the grill. I call them shrimp steak packs. They were SO good. We had never tried them before and I found the recipe on the interwebs (minus the Ribeye steak - I added that to my recipe because…steak.)

I cooked for 20 min on high, but 10 minutes would have been perfect.

I was making the video and preparing the food by myself (sometimes holding the iphone under my neck…yeah, I’m talented like that). Just like the story “The Little Red Hen”, with Henny Penny, Goosy loosy and foxy loxy…no one was around to help during the preparation process, but everyone flocked around the dinner table quickly to help EAT the food. :laughing: It’s OK, I enjoy cooking.

Shrimp Steak Packs

(btw, plz don’t laugh at how I pronounced the sausages at first…actually, I would laugh if it were me so have fun.)

4 Likes

My goodness, they looked DELICIOUS! So appetizing I am hungry as h$ck suddenly!

1 Like

That looks good!

1 Like

They were delicious. Making more tonight. :stuck_out_tongue: Fairly easy to make.

@ClaudnDaye On my list for this weekend!

2 Likes

Btw, “andouille” in French also means “idiot” in slang :slight_smile:

1 Like

@docslotnick, just make sure if you cook it on the grill on HIGH, that you only cook for 10 min…it really doesn’t take 15/20 minutes to cook it all through. I cooked 20 and the potatoes (imo) were too soft and the steak (which was rare when I put it in the packs) ended up being over cooked as well. Still very delicious, but tonight I’ll cook for only 10 minutes and add bigger red potato chunks into the packs.

2 Likes

In the video it looked like they put in cooked shrimp, which it seems would overcook. Did you use raw shrimp? How did it end up?

1 Like

Harold, two questions:

• did you grill the steaks on the grill first to get the smoke taste or did you brown them on a pan?
  • were the potatoes partially cooked or raw when you put them in the packs?

That was the video I made last night as I was making them. Yes, they were cooked/frozen shrimp and they were overcooked as well. My That’s what my wife bought but if you have raw that would work out better. Raw + cook for 10 min = delicious. I’ll do that for tonight’s version.

2 Likes

Yes, I just dropped them on the grill for a minute on each side to sear the steak and try to cook off a bit of the fat. The steak was still rare on the inside after searing.

Raw. Washed, chopped up and put into the packs. They cooked very nicely albeit too much…so tonight’s improvements, I’ll be using raw shrimp + bigger potato chunks (raw) + only cook the packs for 10 min each. I was also thinking of adding grape tomatoes because, when they burst after cooked they add an amazing tartness.

I especially liked making these because there was zero mess. Usually when I finish with the grill it’s messy (lots of bbq sauce on the grill.) These are self contained, clean and delicious, and all the flavors and aromas stay inside each individual pack.

1 Like

Also, I think this would be a decent meal for diabetics as well. Really the only carbs you’d need to worry about and account for would be the corn and potatoes.

1 Like

@ClaudnDaye Do you happen to use a thermometer to measures the pit temperature? I cook on a BGE and can pinpoint the temp anywhere from 150° to 700°.

I was thinking this looks like about 450° would be about right.

My grill has a thermometer built in. That’s about right. 450 is what I get mine too when cooking on high. Sometimes up to 500.

1 Like

For a moment I thought @ClaudnDaye had served the infamous andouillette :astonished:
I didn’t know there were sausages with the slightly different name ‘andouille’.

2 Likes

That looks amazing! And I’m with @Michel…now I’m hungry.

2 Likes

After nearly 20 years of marriage, this meal was a huge win for me. I don’t think I can recall a time when @ErinElizabeth has ever said “Wow, this is delicious!”. Her usual response to even my most fabulous dishes (according to me and the boys) is, “It’s OK”. She’s not one to get overly excited or stimulated from food…but something about this dish did the job. She actually said “Wow, this is delicious!”.

Tonight I made it again and it was even better…I ended up putting the “frozen” shrimp that I had in the packs, cooking it less time and omg was it good…when opened, they each had a small pool of their own juices that they cooked in and it was so good. Definitely something we’ll be making again since my baby loved it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This is really awesome, Harold! Mazel Tov!

Is @ErinElizabeth a good cook?

1 Like

She has her dishes that only she can make…I can make them too, but something about how she makes them that they are “her” dishes to make for the family. Most of the time I do the cooking because I love to cook and they love to eat what I cook. I’m not saying she burns stuff a lot, but I’ll say something that rhymes and you connect the dots so that I don’t get into trouble. hehehehe

1 Like

I tried the shrimp steak packs tonight! But it did not work as well for me as I was hoping. I used raw frozen shrimp, still frozen. I used large London Broil for the steak.AFter 15 minutes, the potatoes were not cooked, some of the shrimp was still cold, but the steak was overcooked :frowning:

The packs were fairly large – good enough for two. That may be why.