"Miracle" Noodles?

I’m wondering if anyone’s tried these?

I know many folks are not low carb, but I’m looking for items that are low carb and gluten free for an upcoming backpacking trip (I’ve had bad GI luck with the prepackaged stuff and recognize how hard the instant rice-potatoes-all carb meals will be on EH’s BG).

I saw these on Amazon and was curious if anyone’s had any experience with them.

Miracle Noodle Zero Carb, Gluten Free Shirataki Rice, 8-Ounce, (Pack of 6)

What do you think about those claims?

1 Like

I’d be curious to hear other experiences. I’ve seen these, but haven’t tried them yet because 1) they just look unappealing, and I can’t imagine the texture is great (I’m picky about texture), and 2) I’d heard konjac is pretty high in fiber and can’t imagine my gut could handle it, so haven’t dared test that (though looking at the nutrition facts on these noodles, I’m noticing there’s no fiber content listed…). :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve had konjac rice and noodles in my fridge for ages but haven’t tried they. They’re packaged in water, which kind of freaks me out. I also get nervous about not being able to get information about cross-contamination from potato with products made outside of Canada/USA (not that I can always get this information anyway, but it’s helpful when I can). But I know lots of people who eat low-carb do eat them and and they have little to no impact on BG.

I recently tried some soy pasta I’d bought off Amazon a while ago. It comes in dry form, and I’d put it off mosty because of cross-contamination concerns. It’s gluten-free and it does have an impact on my BG, but much less than regular pasta would. I like the texture, too. I ate it with tomato sauce and meatballs like spaghetti, and it was great. I’m planning on bringing some with me tomorrow to eat between work and my evening class (since I typically don’t make the hour commute home and back).

I also read that more recent iterations of konjac noodles are dry and not packaged in water. I think I’d find this less weird, but I haven’t bought any yet.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you. I was also worried about texture! Originally I was looking for glass noodles/rice noodles and spotted these. I’ll try them and report back if I can find them in smaller quantities (I don’t want to have to buy a six pack).

I can see being afraid of cross contamination @Jen. I read about a review about a well known corn pasta brand on Amazon and they had a classic gluten reaction despite it being GF, which is scary (although only one user so maybe it was from something else). Sometimes I wonder about buying stuff on Amazon – it worries me that it’s a knock off.

That has never occurred to me. :worried: I try to only ever buy fulfilled by Amazon things, just because it makes me feel safer in that purchase.

Totally unrelated, but he glass noodle comment made me think of it - have you tried sweet potato noodles? Not ideal carb-wise, but so good…mmmmm now I need to make japchae…

I tried those early on in Samson’s diabetes journey when I was terrified to give him carbs. We were not fans, but I suspect we didn’t work hard enough at figuring out the way to prepare them so they’re appetizing.

I’ve had the Konjac noodles, the texture is more rubbery/seaweed-like as opposed to what you would expect from a wheat or rice noodle. Because of the texture I think they’re best in Asian dishes. They are basically tasteless and will taste like whatever sauce you put in them. They may smell kind of fishy when you open the package but after rinsing there is no smell/flavor.

My favorite ones are these “Healthy Noodle” brand from Kibun. Costco started carrying them a while back. They need to be refrigerated. There’s no fishy smell and the noodles are more flat. There is some soy mixed in so it doesn’t have quite the rubbery texture of pure shirataki noodles but is a little more like a regular noodle, and I think tastes a lot better with only a couple of carbs. It’s still better for Asian dishes than something with a tomato or cream-based sauce but I like to use them in stir fries or with curry.

http://www.kibunusa.com/products/healthynoodle.html

3 Likes

These are also really low calorie, right? Might not be worth bringing for what’s essentially just some fiber in noodle form unless you really want to be able to make pasta.

Do you guys like Indian food? Tasty Bite makes some surprisingly good indian meals that are premade in these pouches and great for camping. They are all vegetarian, so not low carb, but many have carbs come from lentils/beans/etc, so a little better than potatoes/rice in terms of insulin having a chance at covering them reasonably. Most if not all are gluten free. I guess some folks would feel a need to eat those with rice, but I just eat those dishes alone or a couple together, right of the pouch if camping, no rice/bread.

3 Likes

@jen was mentioning that some konjac noodles now come dry: does anyone have a recommendation for those?

1 Like

Have nothing to add about the noodles, but can say that my wife and I lived off of dried split pea soup during a backpacking trip. Light, easy to make and moderate carb. We never got tired of that one, I think we probably ate it every other dinner for 4 weeks.

3 Likes

Are these available from Costco or Amazon?

Do you just add water😄? I’m guessing no.

1 Like

How were they? Do you recall the brand?

I don’t care for the konjac smell/texture; and that it’s packed in water. It needs to be refrigerated.

Are you able to have legumes/beans?

It should be, we purchase our dried split pea soup from bulk bins in a flake form from a local store, but all you add is water, really good stuff. I will try and see if Amazon has something similar.

Edit - Amazon has something similar, but the price is completely ridiculous. We usually pay $2-$3 for this amount from a bulk bin. No way would I spend $18 for one pot of split pea soup.

1 Like

I never did try it. I believe it was called Better than Rice or Better than Noodles. Something like that.

Yeah, this is one part I wasn’t sure of. I kept mine in the fridge, just in case, but I wasn’t sure it needed it.

Yes, but I’m not a huge fan. I wish I liked them more. I would like to eat less meat, and these would be an obvious replacement. So far, the only beans I actually like are black beans, and only when they’re mixed in with something else (like black beans made into a patty and then crumbled to substitute for ground beef tastes great in recipes to me).