What’s the plan tonight?

Tonight instant pot moose and barley soup

Tomorrow sous vide racks of lamb. I love to cook and love cooking gadgets

6 Likes

Does moose taste different from deer?

1 Like

A little bit

How do you cook moose best?

Hopefully in an instant pot, with barley. Kidding, I don’t know really… it’s always an experiment. Usually I trade fish I catch for moose meat bc I’m too lazy to actually hunt very much myself, so the vast majority of the moose meat I end up with is ground meat, which I use interchangeably in any recipe for beef and it turns out fine, just a bit leaner and more gamey. Typically moose is a little chewier, darker red meat, leaner, and more gamey than beef… closer to venison but all the parts are much bigger

4 Likes

What a treat! I bet it’ll be delicious. Do you cook this way often?

1 Like

Yeah quite a bit

1 Like

Do you finish it in a pan or the grill to get a crust? Seem’s like a great way to make meat done to perfection, although having another tool in the kitchen isn’t on my wife’s happy list, I apparently already have plenty!

3 Likes

Yeah you’ve got to finish it off somehow or it looks medium rare on the outside too which isn’t appetizing. Frying pan works great blowtorch works quite nicely too and is more fun

3 Likes

I have pulled that one out a few times making creme brulee, it would be kind of fun for the meat. Always gets the “are you kidding” me look from the wife.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s a real crowd pleaser… I keep one in the kitchen and one in the garage these days.

The three kitchen gadgets that nobody can live without IMO are 1) air fryer. 2) sous vide. And 3) instant pot

2 Likes

Need to change your instant pot to large Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker. I don’t think the electrics do quite as good a job, and they aren’t large enough for two teenagers.

1 Like

We have the KR, and I would consider marrying it if I could (but my wife has precedence) :slight_smile: It remains on the stove for weeks on end, because we go from one recipe to the next with it…

2 Likes

I have a 24 qt pressure cooker too. It’s big enough for 2 teenagers… the instant pot is just fun because it has this huge following but essentially any pressure cooker accomplishes same thing

2 Likes

Maybe enough for 4 of them :slight_smile: You win the size contest!

I did consider getting a US-made 24 quart canning pressure cooker, and was really tempted, but I ended up going for the big Kuhn Rikon in the end (that was about 3 years ago). Both solutions are really good quality, but, for us, we wouldn’t use the extra capacity often enough, particularly now that my older one is in college.

It is depressing to me that, kitchen gadgeteer that I am, I own none of them :frowning: I can’t really buy anything new until we are back from Europe.

But I have the blowtorch though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To me the huge advantage of the instant pot is that I can just sort of leave it on and go pick up the kids or whatever, and don’t need to worry about whether the stove is on. Does this Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker have the same capability?

2 Likes

No they are not set-it and forget it, but you can get them much bigger than the electric pressure cookers.

Also, for most recipes, I do the cooking (usually 45 minutes or less) under heat, and then go pick up the kids or errands while the heat is off and the pressure is dropping.

It helps that I am able to work from home, so I can do this in the late afternoon.

2 Likes

I don’t have any of those and I’m still alive :slight_smile: I think the most gadgety thing I have is one of those green lime juice squeezers and an old unfancy rice cooker/slow cooker. I love good food but I’d rather go out for it or have someone else cook it for me. No one can beat me at choc chip cookies though.

2 Likes