Strictly About Pizza

Ok I have read thru all the pizza tips and am going to try working out a formula for our almost 14 yo son…cause I have to say I dread pizza nights which are sort of part of the fabric of teenage social life, due to the wild and unpredictable nature of the spikes/long term elevations.

Here’s the pizza word problem for you pizza wizards: 14 yo boy will be going with his youth group to eat pizza (usual teenage boy intake of 3-4 slices before parent throws body across rest of pizza) , then go to “Frankies Fun Park” where he will doubtless run around like a sweaty idiot for 2 hours, then off to spend the night not-sleeping with sweaty teenage boy peers. Fortunately my husband, not I will be chaperoning, eww! He has a dexcom and an omnipod.

Based on this thread maybe I will try: 40/60 split on an extended bolus of 2.5 hrs, then turn his basal up somewhat (maybe 25-30%) for around 4 hours. We can always bag the temp basal and/or eat more snacks if the exercise takes him low.

By the way, re earlier questions about high carb high fat foods, I learned a few months ago (sorry can’t recall source but it was actual medical literature not the back of a magazine…) that a big dose of saturated fat induces insulin resistance over a few hours after it’s consumed. That totally made sense to me with pizza – and other teenage junk food indulgences like premium ice cream – because it seems like there are actually two things going on, the delayed and terrifyingly large spike (presumably due to the poor overwhelmed stomach breaking down the large mass of carbs after your peak of insulin action has already passed) and then the prolonged moderate elevations that don’t seem to respond to the correction doses that would normally bring them down. Delayed absorption + insulin resistance.

Suggestions? Feel free to tell me that the blood sugar of hormonal, jacked up teenagers binging on pizza followed by an amusement park and an all nighter is essentially a model of chaos theory and I’m definitely screwed :yum:

2 Likes