Sony Smart Watch 3 and iPhone in Tandem (simultaneous connection)

@Randy I’ll put together screenshots of all my settings on the Note 8. Should have it all by tomorrow. I’m also due to change to the G6 on my next sensor change. Maybe we can work out the problems together!

1 Like

Thanks! You may have been the first poster I saw on the Sony blog talking about your setup. If so, you inspired me to order the Smartwatch 3 and eventually to make it the primary collector.

I still carry the Dexcom receiver for the moments when xDrip+ stops working. That worries me at night.

My Animas Vibe still has three years to go and I don’t think I want the Medtronic 670g, so may pony up to buy a Tandem.

Randy

3 Likes

Mate! It was the phone! A work colleague let me use his Google Pixel 2XL and everything worked flawlessly. I’m now running the Sony Smart Watch 3 as my primary collector. This is f@#king incredible! Thank you so much for your assistance and patience. I’m going to buy a pixel phone and run from there. Thanks again!!!

2 Likes

@Tim07NOV18 That’s awesome! If you need any more help just ring me up!

1 Like

I guess the very final question is: it looks as though you can enter calibrations directly into the watch without having to use the phone all the time? I know you said the phone is required for general upkeep etc. but can I enter calibration into the watch during standalone mode i.e. force wear collector?

@Tim07NOV18 You can enter the glucose value on the watch (and any treatment for that matter), but for it to calibrate you have to set it to allow that. In settings>>glucose meters>>automatic calibrations. It’s experimental, but give it a try.

In any event, the phone won’t pick up the glucose reading uuntil it’s near the phone (in Bluetooth range).

1 Like

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Soo epic.

2 Likes

@Randy I’m writing an xDrip+ settings wiki as we speak, complete with photos. It should be done in a couple days. I think you’ll find the info you need in it.

Let me know if you need assistance in the interim.

2 Likes

I bought myself an android phone (galaxy s8) and have been using xDrip with great success. Being able to just use the watch is incredible. Thanks again for all your help!

I had a couple further questions if you don’t mind,
the back fill feature that my g5 could do with the Dexcom app doesn’t appear to work with xDrip but I assumed this is maybe just a setting change somewhere?

Also, when I go surfing it loses connection the entire session. Im not completely submerged all the time and trying to troubleshoot why this would be the case? My only theory is water being held in my neoprene wetsuit top and working as a blanket of water covering the transmission? Wasn’t sure if you had any ideas to boost connection reliability?

As always thank you in advance!

2 Likes

@Tim07NOV18 The phone should be backfilled by the watch when they come in proximity. I do that all the time, and it’s pretty cool to watch the backfill process while it’s happening.

As far as the connectivity problem under water, I have no idea. But you won’t get backfill from the transmitter like with Dexcom, it comes from the watch. So if the watch gets no reading it has no data to transfer to the phone.

2 Likes

My experience is that it a Iphone with Dexcom app cannot be connected to the Dexcom G6 at the same time of an Android phone with Xdrip+. Only when I switched of the Bluetooth of my iPhone, the Android with Xdrip+ was able to make a connection with the Dexcom G6 sensor. Otherwise it was only scanning all the time and could not make a connection.

1 Like

After switching off your iPhone Bluetooth connection, does xDrip+ connect to the G6 in a reasonable manner, such as on the next reading? And vice-versa, if you switch off the Android Bluetooth, and re-enable Bluetooth on your iPhone, does the Dexcom App reconnect to the existing G6 transmitter on the next reading? Do the BGs read during Android enablement get backfilled on the iPhone Dexcom app on re-connection? And do they get uploaded to Nightscout?

I ask this because I would like to use xDrip+ and my SW3 smartwatch in standalone mode during exercise, but then switch back to my iPhone post-run, to continue using closed Loop on my iPhone.

@Trying

After I switched back on my Iphone’s bluethooth, the Iphone immediately took over again. I do not remember if there was also BG history included. But it worked pretty fast (few minutes). So I think this would work for you.

I had the Android and the Iphone connected to the Dexcom share server. That worked also very nicely. The graph on my Dexcom Follow app continued smoothly.

The proces from Iphone to Android was a little bit more complicated. I had to wait until the Android Xdrip app asked for approval for a bluetooth connection with the Dexcom G6.

1 Like

Great! I think I will give it a try then. I am using Nightscout Follower as the Hardware Source in xDrip+ now so that I do not get any duplicate entries in Nightscout but still get the BGs and treatments displayed in xDrip+ as entered in iPhone Loop. I’ll need to change Hardware Source settings temporarily to G6 as the collector while using the Android xDrip+. Is that what you did?

Yes, I had the Dexcom G6 as collector in my xdrip+ settings.

1 Like

Hello everybody! :slight_smile: i would like to ask you witch smartwatch is possible to connect as a sole collector. I’m planning my next trip of surfing and use the dexcom g6 with an iphone and would like to find a cheap solution during the surfing trip (Android phone+Smartwatch).

Thank you very much! Best wishes from germany! Anton

Es gibt nur eine - der Sony SW.

Hey Anton,

I’ve been trying to resolve checking my blood sugar whilst surfing for several months now. Check out the link below to my most recent post. I purchased a 14 day sensor from Abbott (Australian Market). Sure enough the watch could work as a standalone. I went for a run with just the watch and my freestyle libre sensor able to check my sugar whenever I pleased. I haven’t surfed with it yet but judging by the videos embedded in that post it should work. The dexcom system just doesn’t work whilst surfing as detailed in that link.

Thanks a lot!! :wink:

how is this holding up? are you still using the iphone? with 3 years passing, are you still using the system? I need to work out something similar!

1 Like