Something’s up with my Interstitial Fluid: Looking for answers and starting with basics... what is insulin resistance? And can it affect IF Glucose?

I think you are making very good points. But we just need to keep in mind that this is only one day, so it would take a few days to get a better idea if this represents an “average” day.

Also worth noting, the goals shown by the app are 50% carbs 30% fat, and 20% protein.

I might want to adjust those a bit. But those are definitely better than saying “zero carbs”, or doing 50% fat!

So yes, smart advice Emily, thanks for that and for the description of how to do it.

DN, can you do this for a few days? I think it would be helpful for you.

1 Like

Oh wait a minute, was this just a demo? Not a real day for you?

If so, never mind about the percentages I commented on. Let’s see what is real for you.

2 Likes

Ha, if I missed that, too, ignore everything I’ve said. :laughing:

1 Like

They were all very good points you made. All valid for the numbers that were shown!

1 Like

No, this was real! The only thing that was wrong was the fat content on the chef salad… it automatically put it as having 25 g of carbs. That’s not what my salad is like. I have 5g of fat tops…

1 Like

Ignoring nothing… those are real numbers except for the chef salad 25g… that’s more like 5g of fat. I’m with my kids right now, but I was going to respond to these posts as soon as I’m done.

1 Like

I edited my percentage to reflect fat without the salad, though that would also lower the total caloric value (thus changing all the percentages), but I think it’s accurate enough without changing the calories to still give an idea for one day’s numbers.

2 Likes

Why are you so nice?? Thank you very much. I didn’t mean for people to be calculating my calorie totals for me… though I COULD use the help, as evident my earlier freakout. I was just trying to put up what I had to see if it was good enough…

So, thank you. Again. :grin:

1 Like

Haha, you’re welcome. As I said, I actually enjoy the math… :blush: And I’m someone who needs visual examples to get something, so I always like to show a real example of something I’m trying to explain to someone…

2 Likes

All good stuff for me to learn…but I’m distracted by “DN” vs “Nicky”…what did I miss?

1 Like

And your real example is going to be how I attempt to calculate tomorrow’s stuff. Before I just post it again, freak out, and try to trick someone else into calculating it. :grin:

1 Like

DN… short for “Darling Nikki”— if you know Prince’s song? :slight_smile:️ So I think I’m Darling Nicky here and think that’s very cute. But it’s one thing for other people to call you cute things and another thing to refer to yourself as it in a thread title. Not as cute. So I sat for many minutes deciding on Darling? Could I put a twist on it and go with Darn instead? And then I realized I was losing precious minutes of my life… so DN. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/wkfud-the-all-dedication-line/2058/103

1 Like

Your thread is cracking me up, until I got to the sanctioned food shaming bit above with the diabetes educators and whatnot. Then I felt pissed for you.

FYI, here at FUD I really feel like food shaming is not a thing. Sure sometimes it feels like folks might be for or against carbs, depending on the thread. But then there’s threads like:

So enjoy those chocolate chips. No one is judging. :cookie:

I think everyone wants to help each other be eating what they want and having success at that. :smile:

7 Likes

I agree completely. Food shaming is for limited’s.

5 Likes

I’m not one to hold grudges, except for special occasions, but THIS one I have never been able to get past. In fact, this actually sums up my ENTIRE experience with educators… having to sit across a table from them with all my most private nutritional numbers spread out before them… it will lead even the most honest person (which I won’t try to claim) to want to lie. What’s WORSE, is it will lead a confused diabetic (raised hand) to have conflicted feelings over the things they eat. That sucks. Never in my life have I had any kind of eating disorder, but I have developed a deeply crappy relationship with food since developing diabetes. It has gotten better over the last couple of years, but like a once-abused dog who recoils at every lift of a hand, I don’t know what someone’s angle is when they ask me to keep track of what I’ve eaten, and so I can get weird. That was kind of a “broken trust” comparison gone sideways, but I think you get my point… maybe. :thinking:

I don’t know how I missed your response 5 days ago, but I did. Thanks for recognizing the wrongfulness in it. I understand it’s meant to be helpful, but, for me, there was a parallel development of something equally as harmful. I haven’t seen an educator in years. Now I just unleash all of my nutrition angst on people here.

3 Likes

We’ve had good luck with a few CDEs over the years. But also a couple who were dumb and didn’t work for us. Honestly, the list of “don’ts” was pretty long when EH was diagnosed. And we were in our 20s and living it up. Didn’t slow him down much when he realized a drink wouldn’t kill him. :smile:

However, one of my favorite moments with a CDE was when our old CDE was looking over his numbers in a month long period and asked about a specific day. Eric referenced his work calendar, determined he’d been drinking cocktails with coworkers and eating a totally unhealthy meal, and admitted it. Then our CDE began to say she had a suggestion! I crankily replied that her suggestion would be that he stop drinking alcohol altogether, probably. She didn’t miss a beat and replied her suggestion was going to be that Eric switch to drinking straight scotch for a few weeks and see how that worked out. Ha! We liked her! Too bad their office couldn’t get their stuff together. :frowning:

I am sorry you had a sucky and memorable experience though. I really think that sometimes peoole should keep their mouths shut. Food shaming doesn’t help anyone. :frowning:

1 Like

On the flip side, I had this experience… I once had an educator, and she really is the one that has come to represent them all for me, which is not fair to the rest of them, who had to have weighed about 250 lbs. PLEASE understand this is not a judgment about the weight. She had me write down every detail of every bite of food and every activity I engaged in for 7 days. This was that room I described, with the doctor and medical students. It was like a panel evaluation. I must’ve had 25 entries for food in the first day alone…because I’m a grazer. We’re real. There are people just like me out there who just pick at food throughout the day. The ones who aren’t diabetic just don’t have a reason to keep written record of it. ANYWAY, she BLASTED me for the times I wrote down 3 separate servings of crackers… all 10 minutes apart. Everyone just sat quietly and took notes. My cheeks were burning. I tried explaining that it was just that I had bolused for just the one serving and then had decided to have another so needed to bolus again. She kept sighing and laughing and whatever and then she started asking me about my exercise habits, and WHY I needed to exercise at 6:30 in the morning (and my answer would’ve been, had she let me answer, that it was the only time of day it was an option)… And there was SO MUCH JUDGMENT in every word, and no one had anything else to say. And THIS was at Johns Hopkins, which I believe to be one of the best medical institutions in so many ways. The endocrinologist there was AMAZING. Her educator, who patients would see as part of the routine, was more than I could take.

Anyway. OH! This was the SAME educator who saw me at the beginning of my pregnancy. I was told I could have 2 cups of coffee a day… regular, small cups. So I would get up in the morning and bolus. I, of course, marked all of this down in my logs. The educator once asked me why I was doing insulin for my coffee… and I explained that I needed to. She told me I didn’t, and I was to stop. We had a small disagreement over it, and she asked that I just try three mornings without the insulin to see what my blood sugar would do. I protested, but because I’m a sucker, ultimately agreed to it. All three mornings my blood sugar rose between 250 and 300. At the next log evaluation, she noted it, and went on, never acknowledging that she was wrong. I ended up getting my hands on my medical file (which is the size of a dictionary), and what did I find was the VERY FIRST PAGE? It was a letter from her to doctors of my future where she described me as a difficult and stubborn patient. Still hurts.

Sorry. That entire story was completely unnecessary. But I feel better… so there’s that. :smiley:

3 Likes

Sorry, dude. That’s awful.

My medical records say that I compulsively check my blood sugar. Bc I was testing 8-15 times a day pre-CGM. Endo told me to lay off of it and just live.

1 Like

That is sooo awful. :slightly_frowning_face:

@T1Allison, the endo who misdiagnosed me as type 2 told me I was checking way too much, too…told me to only check my fasting levels, which, as I explained to him at the time, were (and mostly still are) perfectly fine, so not an accurate picture. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes