Wrong nutrition information on label

They only do it that way so that it lines up with the FDA requirement for BG meters. By having both food labels and BG meters off by the same amount, it balances out perfectly!
jk
:smiley:

7 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Random D thoughts

@ClaudnDaye, this has given me my heartiest laugh of the week! Thank god we all keep our sense of humor :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great point!!! I’m glad we are not alone with this gluten free=insane amounts of carbs problem. EH has noticed this as well – if he has the gluten-free “substitute” for some item of food, it always has tons more carbs than the original (specifically pizza is where we find ourselves eating “substitutes” - so we can split a pizza). We have found that gluten free versions of food are worth avoiding due to the BG spike. (Of course, YDMV.) I do wonder how the gluten-free craze will affect T2D rates, with the often increased carbs and calories in the packaged products that people have switched over to for health reasons (mind you, I’m GF, and have no diagnosis).

Very interesting to hear that somebody else has had the smarts to figure out that the packaging is mislabeled on gluten-free food as well. I would have hoped it was better, because celiacs have enough going on! That is one thing that EH’s travel along the diabetes road has taught me, you can’t always believe what you read, and food is made up of a lot of stuff that probably doesn’t need to be in there, but it makes it cheaper, or easier for the company selling it. And you can’t always predict how it’ll affect BG.

@Eric and @ClaudnDaye you guys crack me up! I agree with @Michel, the sense of humor helps so much.

3 Likes

Don’t forget @docslotnick, the wickedest of all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re right! I thought that comment about @docslotnick’s wife meeting another T1D if he expired was over on the other thread! That totally cracked me up when I saw it yesterday!!! I wondered how many of us spouses would give another T1D a run for his or her money. :grin:

(Unrelated: I’m presently using Discourse to read and reply to messages from my iPhone and it’s a little kludgey. When you’re as long-winded as I am, it’s really difficult to see what was written above. Also, spelling corrections work sometimes but not if you tap-highlight-replace, quotes often don’t work properly, and moving around in between the windows of Reply and the active thread sometimes doesn’t work. I will happily admit user error is probably the cause.)

2 Likes

Yes, it was on a different thread, but the thread was split.

Our fearless leader :head_zookeeper:Michel :head_zookeeper: has turned into banana split!

3 Likes

OK, banana un-split, sorry!!

I LOVE banana splits, btw – I have not had one for many years, and this pic is making me want one badly.

1 Like

Banana Split

2 x bananas ~ 50g
3 x ice cream scoops ~45g
Whip cream (probably sweetend) ~5g
2 x Maraschino cherries ~ 4g
Sauce (?) ~ 10g or 15g

I am going to go ahead and bolus for 120g. That would be 20 units for me :laughing:
:syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe:
:syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe:

3 Likes

oops - that is one banana split - not two bananas - here is the update :smile:

Banana Split

2 x bananas ~ 25g
3 x ice cream scoops ~45g
Whip cream (probably sweetend) ~5g
2 x Maraschino cherries ~ 4g
Sauce (?) ~ 10g or 15g

I am going to go ahead and bolus for 100g. That would be 16.66666667 units for me :laughing:
:syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syrin

1 Like

Did you include the luscious rich chocolate or caramel syrup??? 25g for 2 tbsp…so you’ll need to do 100g just for that because…CHOCOLATE.

If that’s what you have as Sauce, then just add another 60 or so grams and you should be set for the bolus.

Enjoy!!! :laughing:

PS - please check in with us before, during and after so that we a) know how it tasted and b) whether you’re pulling through OK or not.

2 Likes

Ooops - Sugar is about 5g per tsp so I was thinking 1 tsp per ball of ice cream. but you are right - that is probably tablespoons not teaspoons of sugary coating.

When I was a kid (before there was an internet) I had a book with all the “food choices” for various foods in it. There was a whole section on McDonalds. I recall a small strawberry milkshake was like 7 Fruit and Vegetable Choices. I really liked milkshakes but I did not have a meal in my meal plan that had 7 fruit and vegetable choices :cry:

I have not had a milk shake since :slight_smile:

EDIT: At the time a Fruit and Vegetable choice was 10g of carbs. For some reason sugary foods were lumped into the fruit and vegetable choices which made getting your fruits and vegetables really easy by eating sugary food :laughing:

3 Likes

@Aaron, I feel so bad for the child you were!

But it is time to change that! Here we all strive to be UNLIMITED: so I think that includes experimenting to figure out what a milkshake will need to dose for. I think this should be another whole thread for all of us to discuss!

2 Likes

I always up the “official” carb count for bread by 10 or 20 percent!

3 Likes

I can guarantee you that, if you were interested in experimenting…someone here :: coughs @Eric :: or some other really smart :guinea_pig:'s and :macgyver:'s could help you figure out what dosing you need to enjoy these things if you want to enjoy them. NO diabetic should have to go without these things for their entire lives…these are some of the most enjoyable things of life! I agree with @Michel - time to be UNLIMITED!

Get a plan…see how people here feel about it, and go for it! Start small…test and grow from there.

1 Like

I loved that little parenthetical aside :smile_cat:

1 Like

Not to be a Debby downer, but the reality of a milkshake is over 100 carbs if it is of any reasonable size. My son splits one with his brother every couple of months, and it is still a disaster. A tasty disaster, but a disaster nonetheless. We are hoping for Afrezza someday to help him make this a non-disaster reality.

It IS worth it, in my humble opinion, but it isn’t pretty.

2 Likes

I see that as a challenge! unlimited

4 Likes

This is one of the things I can’t wait to test out when I can eat dairy again! I found a restaurant where I can safely (with celiac disease) eat milkshakes…mmmmm, haven’t had a “real” one in over 4 years.

2 Likes

I am up for that!

5 Likes