Flat line, but that's not the point

This shows my last 24 hours:

Not exactly flat, but pretty darned close.

What’s interesting is there are carb entries but no bolus entries. In fact the last time I took novolog was 8:55 pm Tuesday night. A whole 8 units. And despite no novolog for a day and a half I was low at 51 this morning.

I have also cut back my basal Toujeo from 36 units twice a day to 24 units twice a day.

I’m beginning to believe in miracles.

3 Likes

Your thoughts on what causes the decrease after each carb entry?

@Thomas It looks like an initial increase after each carb entry, followed by the decrease an hour later.

I can only surmise that this is the basal insulin doing this. This is also how a normally functioning pancreas would act.

If this continues I’ll be cutting basal down incrementally just to see what happens. If I cut the basal down much farther though I would consider myself cured. :grin:

What is startling though is that just two weeks ago I was taking over 100 units of novolog every day for the same amount of carbs with a slightly worse track.

1 Like

Any digestive changes lately?

@Bradford No, still crapping ever day :smile:

The only difference I can see is that I’ve cut carbs about 20% in the past couple of weeks. From about 100/day to more like 80 or so/day. So I’m basically now LCHF, but certainly not zealously.

2 Likes

@docslotnick, this is almost incredible. No bolus. Amazing!

I may want to buy some of your stem cells :slight_smile:

1 Like

@docslotnick, it strikes me that this could be valuable to a researcher to look at. This is almost unheard of, particularly given your insulin resistance.

2 Likes

This is really amazing, there is clearly something changing in your body. It will be awesome to understand what it is. That track without bolus insulin is spooky.

1 Like

@Michel I am absolutely amazed at this myself. I am very anxious to see what happens as I reduce basal even more.

It’s frustrating that my endo seems to have retired or just left practice as I cannot reach him. I am trying to get an appointment with another endo ASAP.

Gotta go eat something. Bg is 82 and dropping. :fearful:

3 Likes

Here’s since 7am.

Insulin? Who needs that stinkin’ insulin?

3 Likes

Are you sure you even have diabetes @docslotnick!?!?!? lol. That is amazing!

Did you secretly discover the cure and just aren’t sharing it?

1 Like

@ClaudnDaye There’s still 56 units/day of basal to consider.

As soon as I eliminate that I’ll be ready to sell my cure to the highest bidder :cheeky:

4 Likes

Doc, someone should really look at you right away – there is something to discover in this adventure that could profit us all. What is your normal TDD? You are down to my son’s kinda bad days – he has worse, and he is 12 years old.

1 Like

@Michel My TDD two weeks ago: c. 200 u
(72 basal, 100-130 bolus)
Current TDD: (past two days): 56 u ( basal only)

1 Like

I don’t understand how basal could be doing that.

Bear in mind - I am not disagreeing - I am honestly curious what is going on and causing this. It doesn’t make sense to me. [Granted - I am not an Endo - lol - so lots of stuff doesn’t make sense to me]

@Thomas Injected basal is like slow release insulin. Ideally a 24 unit basal injection would release at the rate of one unit per hour. It doesn’t work exactly like that, but that is the idea.

If exactly the right amount of basal is taken, then no exogenous carbs are needed to cover it, the body’s normal function will use it. If too much is taken then it will drive Bg too low, necessitating eating some carbs.

So, in my case, it is obvious I was taking too much basal as it covered my meals.

Ok. So not so much that the basal was correcting for the food but rather that you had excess basal and the food was correcting the basal to prevent lows?
Perhaps same thing and just looking at it from the other direction.

In any case would you surmise that if you had not eaten food (ie fasting basal test) that you would have hit significant lows from excess basal?

@Thomas Yes. Exactly. The carbs were chasing the insulin, the insulin was not chasing the carbs.

Ok. So I am not cured. I still have diabetes. But my insulin requirements have really plummeted. This is yesterday

1 Like

Doc, this just incredible. No other word.

This is practically a normal curve.

1 Like